Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my holster safe?

NoKimberDave

Hello. Question for the hive:

If you bought a custom handmade holster for your 2011, for example, and the gun has sub 2.0 lb trigger and thumb safety:

Is it okay if the trigger can be accessed while it is in the holster? What I mean is: if the gun was cocked and in holster, if you could get a finger in there on the inside of holster between holster and gun (because of a big gap) and activate the trigger, would that be considered unsafe? There is still your thumb safety. Like, if your girlfriend could come up behind you and reach in there with any of her fingers and pull the trigger while it is holstered. Is that ok? Would you personally use it?

Or, if a 556 cartridge or branch or pen or whatever could activate the trigger while it was holstered, would that be a deal killer for you? For 3gun or USPSA? Would RO's be OK with it?

Opinions please.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

Hello. Question for the hive:

If you bought a custom handmade holster for your 2011, for example, and the gun has sub 2.0 lb trigger and thumb safety:

Is it okay if the trigger can be accessed while it is in the holster? What I mean is: if the gun was cocked and in holster, if you could get a finger in there on the inside of holster between holster and gun (because of a big gap) and activate the trigger, would that be considered unsafe? There is still your thumb safety. Like, if your girlfriend could come up behind you and reach in there with any of her fingers and pull the trigger while it is holstered. Is that ok? Would you personally use it?

Or, if a 556 cartridge or branch or pen or whatever could activate the trigger while it was holstered, would that be a deal killer for you? For 3gun or USPSA? Would RO's be OK with it?

Opinions please.

USPSA Rule: 5.2.7.4 A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger while holstered.

Personal rule: 2# trigger you can access while the gun is holstered: not smart.

Edited by ChuckS

Dang, that seems pretty clear.

Would like more opinions. I did have a GM tell me "That is the stupidest holster I have ever seen". Ouch!

But I got thick skin so would like to hear more. Here gun is shown completely seated. Is it really an issue?:

IMG_0556.JPG

Just now, NoKimberDave said:

Dang, that seems pretty clear.

Would like more opinions. I did have a GM tell me "That is the stupidest holster I have ever seen". Ouch!

But I got thick skin so would like to hear more. Here gun is shown completely seated. Is it really an issue?:

IMG_0556.JPG

I was being polite when I said "not smart". I first had typed "dumb". ;)

Here's a view without stuff in holster. You can see trigger there. My girlfriend like to come and break trigger in holster while I am dryfiring. She sneaks up and does it, it's annoying. I actually have pictures of all kinds of stuff stuck in there as my buddies think it is some kind of joke. I think I have a photo with a twinkie stuck in there someonewhere...

IMG_0561.JPG

Holster maker said this about it:

"As for the gaps they are at the back of the holster against the body.  The blocking on a TS Orange because air shape has to be where it is for mounting. "

So apparently this is fine and HAS to be this way!!

37 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

Holster maker said this about it:

"As for the gaps they are at the back of the holster against the body.  The blocking on a TS Orange because air shape has to be where it is for mounting. "

So apparently this is fine and HAS to be this way!!

Just because a "holster maker" says it's okay, doesn't make it okay.  Honestly, I don't even understand his explanation, but I'm not a holster maker.

You've already mentioned what your stupid girlfriend does to your holstered firearm, and the USPSA rule is quite clear.

If I suspected someone was going to do that, I'd chamber a primed case.

Edited by MAC702

If you can't get a refund, you may be able to make it work. Looks like it should have been made higher and closer to the frame on the magazine release side.

Heat it up with a heat gun with the gun in holster and the belt attachment screwed in and then press it into shape. Only heat a small area to close the gap. Then check fit when drawing and reholstering. The double layer design may make reforming it difficult though. If neither of these work, throw it away!

Remember if something can go wrong (given the number of times you will draw and holster this loaded firearm) something will go wrong!

1 minute ago, MAC702 said:

Just because a "holster maker" says it's okay, doesn't make it okay.  Honestly, I don't even understand his explanation, but I'm not a holster maker.

You've already mentioned what your stupid girlfriend does to your holstered firearm, and the USPSA rule is quite clear.

I hear you. Just trying to make sense of this. Trust me on this: not quite what I expected after paying 85$ and waiting a month. I have probably 8-10 high quality holsters and never seen this before. Not even close.

But makers reaction was that it is fine. it "has to be that way". So, I thought I would check with real competition shooters and see what they thought.

Seems to be universal disdain.

And, for the record, my girlfriend is super smart (multiple degrees). Don't know what she sees in me honestly!

2 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

If you can't get a refund, you may be able to make it work. Looks like it should have been made higher and closer to the frame on the magazine release side.

Heat it up with a heat gun with the gun in holster and the belt attachment screwed in and then press it into shape. Only heat a small area to close the gap. Then check fit when drawing and reholstering. The double layer design may make reforming it difficult though. If neither of these work, throw it away!

Remember if something can go wrong (given the number of times you will draw and holster this loaded firearm) something will go wrong!

First bolded: That is exactly correct. It was cut way too low and cannot be fixed by either of the two very experienced kydex men who have looked at it. They both wanted nothing to do with it and would not do anything but look at it and say it is wrong and that there is not enough material to fix it.

Second bolded part: in my 48 years I have found this to be completely true. A 5.56 can fall right in there and be levered into the trigger easily, actually. I have video of some tests we did and it is fairly shocking how easily it can happen. There is the thumb safety, but the same motion of something going into that gap can snick the safety off! I photo'd and video'd everything, but didn't really want to drop names or crap on anyones' business. But, it's a safety issue and a lot of money, frankly.

I am about the last person in the world to send anything back, including food. I just don't do it usually. I own my business, too, and understand that side of it. I tried to get someone locally to fix it but no one will. I had another I bought used prior, but it was for the thumbrest model. It was far worse than this one. I could stick two of my fingers in it and activate trigger. But there was a little extra material so my guy was able to fix it. I figured the extra space was for thumrest so ordered one without. It is about 1/16"-1/8" less gap on this one (otherwise the same), but I think everyone agrees it's not right!

I hear you. Just trying to make sense of this. Trust me on this: not quite what I expected after paying 85$ and waiting a month. I have probably 8-10 high quality holsters and never seen this before. Not even close.
But makers reaction was that it is fine. it "has to be that way". So, I thought I would check with real competition shooters and see what they thought.

Seems to be universal disdain.

And, for the record, my girlfriend is super smart (multiple degrees). Don't know what she sees in me honestly!

The holster maker should have come higher on the "sweat guard" side so that the belt attachment jig could be recessed and not crest the huge gap. Kydex is really easy to make any shape or form so there is nothing that has to be a certain way.

Even if this were allowed in USPSA it's not a safe holster and shouldn't be used anywhere as is.

10 minutes ago, MAC702 said:

Does this unnamed holster maker advertise this for USPSA usage?

I would say that is his main customers.

YES, it is advertised for that and other shooting sports and I believe he himself shoots USPSA.

13 minutes ago, MAC702 said:

More proof that papered people aren't the same as smart people.

Unwarranted commentary of a personal nature that reveals a substantial amount of jealousy.  Stay classy.

Holster is marketed as if it is for USPSA so it should therefore be USPSA legal at the very least.  The holster maker needs to make it right.

3 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Nobody can give you a good answer from your pictures. Pictures with the gun fully holstered and the camera 90 degrees to each side of the holster should tell the story. 

Anything in the pictures or video can be done with the gun holstered and on my person.

Do not have it, as I sent it back. Had the issue been fixed I wouldn't have posted anything. But he said there was nothing wrong with it and his tone was condescending. I told him that if he feels it is a good representation of his products and he thinks there is nothing wrong than just send it back.

When it gets back, trust me here, you will see many videos on many websites. It will be a useful tool to post in any holster thread and what NOT to use.

They are free.

Just, for what it is worth, all opinions here are based on us not knowing all of the details. If you decide to go nuclear it might be good to get side views and further input first. For what it is worth. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS