Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a SP-01 to SAO, new 3 gun pistol

optimator

3 hours ago, optimator said:

My parts got here today and it's done. Damn what a difference! Now to figure out sights, grips, magwell, extensions...

20170408_175813.jpg

Looks great.  I went with Dawson Competition sights for mine.  I'm not sure if I'll put a magwell on mine.  They are pricey and the opening is decent.  I am very happy with my Mecgar 17rd magazines with TTI basepads and CZC follower. 23 rounds reloadable.  The mecgar magazines load easier and drop free better. Cost less too. 

6 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Looks great!

I like the CGW EZ Drift sights a lot. They have a slightly narrower front blade with smaller optic, and have a generous and deep rear notch. Made by Dawson.

I have those sights in my cart, along with the left side extended safety. How does the front sight mount in? Does it just press fit into the dovetail, or is it held in by the small pin underneath? I thought the pin was just for the bushing?

1 hour ago, optimator said:

How does the front sight mount in? Does it just press fit into the dovetail, or is it held in by the small pin underneath? I thought the pin was just for the bushing?

The answer is 'kinda' both, although you can use the front sight without the pin (I believe the newer accu-shadows with the screw-in bushing forgo to the pin) if you'd like. 

If you have a pin, you'll definitely want to remove it when replacing either the front sight or the barrel bushing.

12 hours ago, optimator said:

I have those sights in my cart, along with the left side extended safety. How does the front sight mount in? Does it just press fit into the dovetail, or is it held in by the small pin underneath? I thought the pin was just for the bushing?

Front sight slides into dovetail and is held in by pin. I can't see where you would not want the pin. Mine would drift right out without it.

Easy to install. 

On 4/5/2017 at 5:42 PM, optimator said:

When I emailed CGW about the parts I need to convert my gun, I was told to remove the disconnector. Here is the text of the email I received. 

Hello and thanks for contacting us.

For the SAO conversion without a FPB system, then these are the parts needed:

6SAO
Race or Ring Hammer kit with sear (same performance, just a different shape)
H-PIN
TR-PIN
RP-TRS
S-Spacer
and remove the factory disconnector, lifter arm, L-spring, plunger and it's spring

Please let me know if you have any other questions:

I ordered my parts last night and received a shipping conformation today. Good place to deal with. 

It would be nice if they offered a kit.  I tried looking up the two pins and they can't be found via their site search.

You need to use the front sight pin or your busing will go flying when you least expect it.  CZC sells a bit to drill the proper sized hole in the new front sight.  The CGW and dawson sight have the hole pre drilled but I find it best to finish them with the drill bit.  Sometimes the hole is not quite right. 

I prefer CZC sights.  The rear dovetail is not quite as deep as the dawson and it looks better to my eye.   You need to find what you like best.

Rather than going SAO with my CZs, I prefer to carefully fit a new CGW disconnector.  But again, its all personal preference. 

Congrats on your new CZ.  They rock.