Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a SP-01 to SAO, new 3 gun pistol

optimator

I bought a new SP-01 safety model. This will be replacing my M&P 9 pro for 3 gun. When converting to SAO, is it all in the trigger or do I need to change the hammer too? I'm also going to remove the FPB if this makes a difference. For those of you who have built these guns, what all did you do?

I installed a czc flat trigger and hammer in mine. The hammer made a huge difference in SA. CGW has a hammer that is great also.

The stock hammer has taller hooks.

If you keep the stock hammer you will need to remove the DA disconnector. Or simply not install it on the new hammer.

Removing the FPB will allow you to get a shorter reset close to 1911 territory.  

Polish the trigger bar too.

I would get a CGW trigger pin and reduced trigger spring also

Edited by je85

38 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

I installed:

CGW Race hammer

CGW billet sear (with spacer) 

CGW Trigger Pin

Aluminum Flat trigger

Removed:

FPB

Disco

How do you like it as a SAO?  I've thought about it, but that pretty much makes the CZC short disco I bought a waste.

I love it. I did it to a CZ75B. I have used it for 2gun, 3gun, and many other matches. Probably over 40-50G thru the gun.

I've own two CZ's now and both are SA guns.

Short disco would probably be easy to get rid of on here.

IMG_0549.jpg

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

How do you like it as a SAO?  I've thought about it, but that pretty much makes the CZC short disco I bought a waste.

I have a Type 1 Disco on my SAO CZ75 SA. It helped reduced the pre travel a tiny amount. I prefer using that over the pre travel screw.

I am using a Grauffel Xtreme Semi-Flat SA trigger on my SAO Match Elites.

However, I think if you use the OEM triggers on the Stock 2 with a BOLO Disconnector, you would have a shorter length of pull and less pre-travel.

3 hours ago, kyojin said:

I just did this exact thing to mine.  CZC Flat trigger and CGW hammer.   Works great.  Did this for 3 Gun competition as well. 

20170326_230458.jpg

Did you use the CGW adjustable sear? And which sights are those?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, NoKimberDave said:

I installed:

CGW Race hammer

CGW billet sear (with spacer) 

CGW Trigger Pin

Aluminum Flat trigger

Removed:

FPB

Disco

this is a great recommendation here.  Really smooths everything out

16 hours ago, optimator said:

Did you use the CGW adjustable sear? And which sights are those?

I did use the CGW adjustable sear.  Those are Dawson Precision Competition sights.  They seem rather small for a comp sight though.  Makes me wonder if I got the right ones from them.  My friend ordered some from them as well and they are exactly like mine.  

One thing I like about going SAO is that the hammer spring doesn't have a ton of affect on the trigger pull.

So you can use heavier springs than you would for a DA pistol.

So my guns set off any primers and will run any ammo. Very very reliably. In fact, I can't remeber the last time I had a failure on either CZ.

40 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

One thing I like about going SAO is that the hammer spring doesn't have a ton of affect on the trigger pull.

So you can use heavier springs than you would for a DA pistol.

So my guns set off any primers and will run any ammo. Very very reliably. In fact, I can't remeber the last time I had a failure on either CZ.

Good info on the springs, thanks. This is my 5th CZ. I can't remember the last time I had trouble with any of them either. 

To those guys that run light loads, what recoil spring are you using? My 3 gun loads are around 920 fps, around 125 PF if I recall. 

2 hours ago, fastlane604 said:

What happens if the disco is not removed?

Good question. I believe it has to clear the FPB to reset the trigger, like in a CZ75SA, thereby increasing reset distance a bit, or if the FPB is removed, I imagine it does nothing.

I am sure there's someone here with a better understanding of it. I ditched mine in the first week along with the FPB as I wanted the best trigger and shortest reset I could get. I have almost zero knowledge of the FPB/Disco/and DA as I have never had to deal with it like the production shooters do.

Shadows don't have the FPB from what I understand.

Edited by NoKimberDave

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, himurax13 said:

I have a Type 1 Disco on my SAO CZ75 SA. It helped reduced the pre travel a tiny amount. I prefer using that over the pre travel screw.

Did leaving the disco in create any other issues, good or bad?

4 hours ago, fastlane604 said:

So, there was no downside to leaving it in, correct?

Correct. The CZUB flat trigger does not allow the trigger to move far enough forward to reset to double action.

When I emailed CGW about the parts I need to convert my gun, I was told to remove the disconnector. Here is the text of the email I received. 

Hello and thanks for contacting us.

For the SAO conversion without a FPB system, then these are the parts needed:

6SAO
Race or Ring Hammer kit with sear (same performance, just a different shape)
H-PIN
TR-PIN
RP-TRS
S-Spacer
and remove the factory disconnector, lifter arm, L-spring, plunger and it's spring

Please let me know if you have any other questions:

I ordered my parts last night and received a shipping conformation today. Good place to deal with.