Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Options

depending on how much money is involved... a couple of friends went with Just Right Carbine in .45 that uses a G21 magazine... they had an issue with dry firing, but after that, I think they have the bugs worked out... if you want a DI you might check with Macon Armory... Rudy is very knowledgeable...I think he has a blow back option also

If you already own a 1911 in .45, I'd look very hard at a Mech Tech.  I shot a steel match on Saturday with a guy who had a Glock 17 Mech Tech, and it was pretty doggone cool!!!  It looks like a nice design, and a carbine with a 1911 trigger would be sweeeeeet.  I just had this exact conversation with m brother in law yesterday:  Use 10 round magazines, put a dot on it, and it would be a very difficult Home Defense gun to top.

As far as reliability goes, I can't say for certain how good it is but friend has a .45 1911 Mech Tech.  He says it works well and hasn't complained about it, though I'm not sure how many rounds he's actually run through it.  I'm almost tempted to see if he's willing to sell it to me...

(FYI, There's also the Kriss, which I've shot in competition, and they are decent, but for the money I'd go with the Mech Tech if I already had a 1911 frame on hand.  The main benefit to the Kriss is that it runs G21 mags for higher capacity.)

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I'd assume you would have a safety if you went the 1911 .45 version - possibly even two.

Its a regular 1911 lower, so you'd have the thumb and grip safety (assuming it's not pinned) though I don't know (and doubt) if there's a way to lower the hammer to half cock. 

the parent pistol fits the rails, and provides the fire control group... you may need to change to a shorter thumb safety if you have an exceptionally designed one...friends have ones in .38super and 9x25 on 2011 lowers... don't think they needed to change the thumb safety

5 hours ago, Garmil said:

Flint river armory csa45

https://flintriverarmory.com/

Those look nice, if a bit pricey for using $60 mags that only hold 25.   Are the magazines proprietary or are they something like STI or Para .45 mags?

Sorry, I am mag-obsessed, I lived through the AWB and as rotten as Illinois is on guns, we can still have normal cap mags.  I have boxes of magazines for every gun

Edited by barrysuperhawk

I have a vector arms Uzi that has a .45 conversion. It has the lower that is converted to take grease gun mags.  It would make a good truck gun.  The trigger reset is a little long for competition, but it is very reliable.  It is set up for 9 right now.  I use it as my defective round disposal system.  It it remotely resembles a 9mm round it will eat it.

Edited by bmiller
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Danomite45 said:

I went with a CMMG Guard in .45.  Low mass bolt due to a rotary delayed blowback.  Very light shooting. Glock 21 mags. 

IMG_0118.JPG

Damn, that nakes me jealous!!!!   

What's the  weight difference between a .45 barrel and a 9mm barrel?