Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 not feeding 9mm brass into station 1

This machine was originally set up for .45.  I have the correct case feeder components installed, the case feeder is working great.  I've been on the phone with Dillon (twice yesterday) and adjusted cam rod per their instructions with spotty to bad results.  I'm at my wit's end with this while waiting to see if Dillon support is open on Sunday (cannot find their hours posted anywhere).  I'm getting cases that must be manually nudged all of the way into the shellplate or they will be crushed.

The case insert slide is correctly installed for pistol with the long side of the cam facing the machine.  The back of the cam is flush with the cam slide.  

The camming pin is adjusted to where it allows the slide to stop its forward movement into the shellplate with the handle pushed all of the way forward.

The station 2 locator tab is properly adjusted.

Edited by LittleLebowski

This happens with my 650 but only once in about 300 rounds or so. Not a big deal. Which dies are you using? Dillon re-sizing dies are slightly flared to facilitate the case entering the die. Are all the stations filled when it happens? Single headstamp brass?

1 hour ago, lgh said:

This happens with my 650 but only once in about 300 rounds or so. Not a big deal. Which dies are you using? Dillon re-sizing dies are slightly flared to facilitate the case entering the die. Are all the stations filled when it happens? Single headstamp brass?

Dillon dies that worked great on my 550.  Stations are filled, mixed brass that worked fine on my 550. 

Is there anything under the shell plate and is it tightened down? 

Make sure the ejector wire isn't under the head of the shell plate bolt.

Also, make sure the station 1 locator piece (silver thing the shell rides on going into station 1) isn't installed backwards.  It's easy enough to put it in backwards, I know :)

16 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Is there anything under the shell plate and is it tightened down? 

Make sure the ejector wire isn't under the head of the shell plate bolt.

Also, make sure the station 1 locator piece (silver thing the shell rides on going into station 1) isn't installed backwards.  It's easy enough to put it in backwards, I know :)

Ditto.

Amazing how a bit of brass cleaning media, powder, etc can mess up the function of the 650.  Clean, tune, lube takes care of a lot of problems. Also, I know many have no problem with mixed brass in their 650's but I always go to single headstamp when I'm trouble shooting. It takes one variable out of the equation.

Edited by lgh
clarify

I figured it out last night and got it cranking out some ammo.  The chute/bin assembly for feeding the completed rounds was bent over to the left and intermittently rubbing the slide and cam assembly, on the side I cannot see from the from of the machine.

Much genuine thanks to all that read this and offered help.