Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with classifiers

It seems like the more difficult the stage I run the better I do but, the minute I get on the classifier I freeze up and forget what I'm doing. I think I need to do a better plan in my head between strings and learn how to do damage control a little better. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Most classifiers are short and are not really high points. The best advice I got when starting out was to get your hits and speed will come later. If you are just starting out then that's what I would do. 

I've found that there are two (2) ways to approach a Classifier :

1.  shoot it just like the COF before and after it, and you'll do exactly YOUR level of shooting,

or

2.  shoot much faster or slower than the COF before and after, and usually you'll shoot

much worse than you normally do.

Plans for Classifiers are usually MUCH simpler than field courses, from what I've seen.

Any specific examples of what you're doing wrong?

If you're hoping to show off for your friends it'll be hero or zero, neither of which is an accurate indication of you current skill level, but if you approach it like any other stage you should see consistent results.

I'm not in a stage of my life where I'm willing to dedicate much energy to taking my shooting to the next level, so my goal is consistency; I try to approach the classifier the same way I would any other stage and if I execute well, the score will be a few percent higher than my average.

I have been super-consistent in classifiers.  I'm C-class in CO and consistently score around 55% in my classifiers.  I don't treat them any differently than any other stage.  However, I would say that I perform on field courses more as a B.  Now that's a good combo, to classify consistently, but one class lower than your match scores.

18 minutes ago, CHLChris said:

I have been super-consistent in classifiers.  I'm C-class in CO and consistently score around 55% in my classifiers.  I don't treat them any differently than any other stage.  However, I would say that I perform on field courses more as a B.  Now that's a good combo, to classify consistently, but one class lower than your match scores.

It sounds like classifiers do a good job of highlighting your weaknesses

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've found that there are two (2) ways to approach a Classifier :

1.  shoot it just like the COF before and after it, and you'll do exactly YOUR level of shooting,

or

2.  shoot much faster or slower than the COF before and after, and usually you'll shoot

much worse than you normally do.

Plans for Classifiers are usually MUCH simpler than field courses, from what I've seen.

Any specific examples of what you're doing wrong?

The last two I've done I have forgot to reload. Just silly stuff really but it's killing me. All my hits are spot on just forgetting the details. 

4 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you're hoping to show off for your friends it'll be hero or zero, neither of which is an accurate indication of you current skill level, but if you approach it like any other stage you should see consistent results.

I'm not in a stage of my life where I'm willing to dedicate much energy to taking my shooting to the next level, so my goal is consistency; I try to approach the classifier the same way I would any other stage and if I execute well, the score will be a few percent higher than my average.

That's what I'm trying to do as well but, it seems on classifiers I get a bad case of CRS and mainly forget to do my mandatory reloads.

6 hours ago, Mikeski said:

Most classifiers are short and are not really high points. The best advice I got when starting out was to get your hits and speed will come later. If you are just starting out then that's what I would do. 

This was just my second match yesterday. I really think it's the mental prep that's hurting me. I just forget the mandatory stuff on the classifiers.

52 minutes ago, jholley07 said:

That's what I'm trying to do as well but, it seems on classifiers I get a bad case of CRS and mainly forget to do my mandatory reloads.

How many times do you air gun your way though a long field course memorizing all the places you need to stand and where to reload if you want to shoot it well?

Now. Honestly: How many times do you air gun your way through a "shoot 6, reload, shoot 6" classifier?

See where I'm going with this? ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How many times do you air gun your way though a long field course memorizing all the places you need to stand and where to reload if you want to shoot it well?

Now. Honestly: How many times do you air gun your way through a "shoot 6, reload, shoot 6" classifier?

See where I'm going with this? ;) 

I know what you're saying. Usually I do everything twice sometimes three times. I guess I just need to slow down and take a little more time between strings to prep.

3 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

It sounds like classifiers do a good job of highlighting your weaknesses

Or I'm sandbagging.  If I am, it's not consciously.  I do know that my strengths lie in visualizing longer stages and shooting on the move, both skills that are not highlighted as often in classifiers.

7 hours ago, jholley07 said:

This was just my second match yesterday.

Oh, that's different.    :rolleyes:

You mean you've had trouble on the TWO Classifiers you've shot ....

Hardly a trend - keep it up - keep watching and trying to shoot it as any other COF.

See if the "problem" continues or disappears.

Good luck with your Third Classifier.

4 hours ago, CHLChris said:

my strengths lie in  1.  visualizing longer stages and  2.  shooting on the move, both skills that are not highlighted  in classifiers.

Yup, the Classifiers take out all that extraneous stuff, and just ask you

to do  Your Other Strength - shooting accurately.

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh, that's different.    :rolleyes:

You mean you've had trouble on the TWO Classifiers you've shot ....

Hardly a trend - keep it up - keep watching and trying to shoot it as any other COF.

See if the "problem" continues or disappears.

Good luck with your Third Classifier.

Lol I guess you're right. I wasn't quite thinking of it that way :D. Thanks for the help with the thought process I feel better about it now.

15 hours ago, jholley07 said:

I know what you're saying. Usually I do everything twice sometimes three times. I guess I just need to slow down and take a little more time between strings to prep.

Would you expect to shoot a field course well if you only airgunned it three times?

Before each string of the classifier airgun it including reloads and weak hand / strong hand transitions and such two or three times. Along with airgunning the entire thing several times when you're on deck.

Treating them like any other stage means... respecting their importance and finding/prgramming around/avoiding pitfalls, too.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I shoot my classifiers much better than the general stages. I am shooting B classifiers but am a low C shooter. Should I intentionally slow them down?

General consensus i see is to shoot classifiers like a stage, not different.

8 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I shoot my classifiers better than the general stages.

As CLHC above mentioned, classifiers tests speed/accuracy and field

courses add movement, reloads, scoping out a COF, etc ....

More to learn to shoot field courses well.

You must be doing the shooting very well, but need more

work on the other aspects of field courses.    :) 

• 2 months later...

Shoot the classifier like you shoot the match.  If you just try for a higher classifier score to get a bump you may end up with it but then have to compete with people that are legitimately in that class.  I'd rather be shooting a high C score and be beating low B shooters and take home some wood from time to time than shooting a low B score with some  C shooters beating me.