Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson PM9 ftf issues

flat9999

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has gone thru the same problems, and found a fix.

Have a PM9 for about 2 years now. Most of the time, the gun shoots flawlessly and is very, very accurate. Occasionally, it has little fits and has ftf problems. It appears that the bullets are diving into the feed ramp and basically just stalling. Forcefully racking the slide a few times will usually prod it into battery. This happens whether I load mags to 10 rounds or even download them to 9, and pretty much only happens from slide lock. I am using Dawson 10rd. mags and have lightly polished the feed lips.

Other things I've done include:

Installing Aftec extractor

Polishing feed ramp

Installing a 12 lb recoil spring

My reloads run about 132 pf and are 1.150" in length.

My next step to resolve will be to try CMC 10 rd. mags, as I've heard that they seem to work well. And possibly going to a shorter OAL on my reloads to get the slide a little more inertia???

Any ideas?

Is the bullet nose hitting the barrel rifling, causing the slide to not go fully into battery? I also own a PM9 and discovered i was having that issue. The ammo length that ran just fine in  my Trojan 9mm and Spfld RO 9mm was slightly too long for PM9.

Take the barrel out and test your ammo in it. See if it's hitting the rifling or "plunking"all the way in.

Edited by JGus

21 minutes ago, DWFAN said:

What bullet?

Bullet is a 147 grain Precision Delta FMJ.

21 minutes ago, JGus said:

Is the bullet nose hitting the barrel rifling, causing the slide to not go fully into battery? I also own a PM9 and discovered i was having that issue. The ammo length that ran just fine in  my Trojan 9mm and Spfld RO 9mm was slightly too long for PM9.

Take the barrel out and test your ammo in it. See if it's hitting the rifling or "plunking"all the way in.

Ammo will plunk test just fine. I can load out to approx. 1.170 in the chamber, but load it to 1.150" to keep it well away from the rifling. Bullet is definitely hitting feed ramp and hanging-up.

Mine wouldnt run some JHPs, but 147gr lead and 147 Extreme round nose ran good.

I used Tripp and Metalform mags.

I would try loading to 1.130 and see if that helps.

You could also get a high hold mag catch. It will hold the mag higher and put the bullet higher on the feed ramp.

• 2 months later...

I've had this issue at the last couple IDPA/USPSA matches. I'm running 147 gr RN blue bullets (135ish PF) @1.135", 11# spring, factory extractor, and Dawson mags. I have not polished the feed ramp as it seemed fairly polished from the factory. 

I'd imagine I have 12,000 rounds through it. I'm thinking I just need to clean it more often but I've also wondered if it's the mag springs getting weak? I bought new Wolff XP +10% mag springs but haven't tried them yet.