Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time in Open, gimme some help

Broski

Ok guys, I bought an open gun this morning about 30 before our match. I had only fired it one time before today, and you guys already know I'm still green as grass. I had a lot of trouble picking up the dot since I had never done it before today, but it got better as the day went on. I feel like my non shooting movement has gotten better, but would like to see what low hanging fruit you guys can find to help. Thanks.

First stage was getting a ton of light primer strikes. We had a 4lb striker spring in it at the time, but immediately after changed it to the stock 6lb (I think) spring and didn't have those issues any more

A while back I was running a 34 in open. With a 4 lb striker I had the same issue. I changed to a 4 1/2 striker and a 6 lb trigger spring. Solved the light strikes and pull was actually about 1/4 lb lighter. They do not recommend the 6 trigger with the 4 striker though. Trigger safety might not fully reset. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

A while back I was running a 34 in open. With a 4 lb striker I had the same issue. I changed to a 4 1/2 striker and a 6 lb trigger spring. Solved the light strikes and pull was actually about 1/4 lb lighter. They do not recommend the 6 trigger with the 4 striker though. Trigger safety might not fully reset. Hope this helps. 

I'll have to check which striker is in it. I noticed you are a Mississippi boy also. What part?

Laurel. We've probably shot together before. I shoot CRPC a good bit. Also Hattiesburg and Jackson. I'll be in Biloxi this Saturday for the steel challenge. If you are there or want to drop by I have a ton of Glock stuff. I have new springs, the 6 trigger and 4 1/2 striker like I mentioned above. Will only take a few seconds to swap out and see. I'll bring all my Glock goodies too. PM me if you want to grab the springs or I can leave them at the club for you. Just let me know. 

Seems like equipment issues are the lowest hanging fruit for sure.  If you can't routinely get through several hundred rounds without a problem, you're going to lose several seconds (at least) every match.  The red dot will probably be corrected pretty quickly if you dry fire at home.  It was hard to pick up much else because you were struggling so much with the gun and not shooting like you normally would.

• 2 weeks later...

it was and with the first stage out the gate with the new gun having issues like it did was not a good way to get started. I have since shot a steel challenge match and the gun ran well except for a mag not wanting to seat which i think was my own fault for over loading the mag. I think there was just too much tension on the top round for it to seat all the way and completely lock into the magazine catch. After that run, I dropped 1 round out of the mag and it ran great the rest of the day. I have another match this saturday, and I will post that video in this thread to let you guys have another look. Hopefully it will go better than the last.