Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B - I like it, but it is a strange experience

My first press 25 years ago was a used Square Deal B, my next press a few years ago was a new XL650, and most recently I upgraded to a new Super 1050.  (I also have an inexpensive Lee single stage press)

A few days ago I bought a used 550B.  I used it today for the first time.  I works great, but it is really strange getting used to it not auto-indexing.  My brain isn't used to it yet, and is expecting it to auto-index on the handle upstroke.

I went from a rock chucker to a 550, so I am in love with it. When I first got I made a sticker for it.

Brass

Bullet

Pull

Push

Rotate

Still have it on there, and that is my cycle. If I stop, I do it at the end of the cycle and all is good.

1 hour ago, rustybayonet said:

I went from a rock chucker to a 550, so I am in love with it. When I first got I made a sticker for it.

Brass

Bullet

Pull

Push

Rotate

Still have it on there, and that is my cycle. If I stop, I do it at the end of the cycle and all is good.

Kerchink, Kerplunk, Kerchink, Kerplunk

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 4:20 PM, rustybayonet said:

Brass

Bullet

Pull

Push

Rotate

I have a mantra I recite:

"Size"

"Seat"

"Powder"

"Rotate"

"Bullet"

"Brass"

Same damn thing, if I have to stop, only after "Brass". Then I think long and hard and check every station before I start cranking again. Interruptions are when the screw-ups happen.

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 0:16 PM, ChemistShooter said:

"Size"

"Seat"

"Powder"

"Rotate"

"Bullet"

"Brass"

Same damn thing, if I have to stop, only after "Brass". Then I think long and hard and check every station before I start cranking again. Interruptions are when the screw-ups happen.

+1

On 4/15/2017 at 0:16 PM, ChemistShooter said:

"Size"

"Seat"

"Powder"

"Rotate"

"Bullet"

"Brass"

I've made a few hundred rounds with my 550B since buying it a couple of weeks ago.  i am beginning to get used to it, but after 25 years of progressive presses SDB, XL650, S1050 I still sometimes am expecting it to auto-index.

I'm still experimenting with the last two step you mentioned above (bullet then brass).  Yesterday I was doing (brass then bullet), but I think your (bullet then brass) might be better.

I bought the SDB in the mid 1990s.  I sold the SDB, and bought an XL650 in 2012.  The 650 was okay, but I didn't like the priming system and had wanted a 1050 for 20+ years, so I bought a 1050 and sold the 650.  I do not miss the 650, but I sometimes miss the SDB which was a fantastic machine!

If the SDB did rifle I probably would have bought a new SDB (or probably would never had sold it).

The Super 1050 is great for large runs of ammo, and just for giggles too.  However, the 1050 caliber changes are labor intensive and not worth the time for small runs of ammo.  The 550B is very flexible and caliber changes are very fast, so a small run of ammo is easy.  I had been using a Lee single stage for 50 - 100 rounds, but it was too slow.  With the 550 100 rounds is about 15 minutes (I am using different toolheads with powder measures for each caliber).  With the single stage 100 rounds was usually costing me 60 minutes or more.

The only extra thing I would like to have on the 550B is the option to switch back and forth between manual indexing and auto indexing.

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 0:16 PM, ChemistShooter said:

"Size"

"Seat"

"Powder"

"Rotate"

"Bullet"

"Brass"

You know you can run all 4 stations at once? So size  seat, powder, deprime and crimp are all contained in the Pull.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, reloader901 said:

I've made a few hundred rounds with my 550B since buying it a couple of weeks ago.  i am beginning to get used to it, but after 25 years of progressive presses SDB, XL650, S1050 I still sometimes am expecting it to auto-index.

I'm still experimenting with the last two step you mentioned above (bullet then brass).  Yesterday I was doing (brass then bullet), but I think your (bullet then brass) might be better.

You have 2 hands, use them both at the same time. Brass and bullet at the same time. As soon as you set the bullet, pick up another as you are pulling the handle down. Handle up, seat primer, grab brass, slide brass into the shellplate while setting the bullet, grab another bullet while pulling the handle.

On 4/22/2017 at 4:24 PM, GrumpyOne said:

You have 2 hands, use them both at the same time. Brass and bullet at the same time. As soon as you set the bullet, pick up another as you are pulling the handle down. Handle up, seat primer, grab brass, slide brass into the shellplate while setting the bullet, grab another bullet while pulling the handle.

Yup. I work just like this.