Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack

aandabooks

I recently bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ55EM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with this huge foam block in the bottom compartment to hold 4 pistols.  My guns have to be wedged in due to ambi safeties and magwells.. What does everyone do with that compartment?  I figure on just putting my guns in rugs but am concerned about the rigidity that foam block provides.

4 hours ago, aandabooks said:

What does everyone do with that compartment?

Throw it in the trash once I purchased the bag (actually I think it's in the back of a closet somewhere :)).  I didn't even attempt to use the foam thing; it's so much easier using gun rugs.  Plus you can fit other stuff in that bottom compartment along with the guns if using gun rugs instead of the foam thing taking up the whole compartment.

Yes.. Backpack is very rigid with or without foam.  I'm concerned about the compartment above and putting too much weight in it.. It is labeled for ear protection but I don't wear muffs so I was going to put ammo there.. 

How's the quality and size of this bag?

I tend to pack light for matches. 7 mags, 3 plastic 100 ammo cases, eye & ear pro, and a water bottle, a half dozen smaller items like an UpLULA etc etc

... overkill?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I'm concerned about the compartment above and putting too much weight in it.. It is labeled for ear protection but I don't wear muffs so I was going to put ammo there.. 

I often put a few hundred rounds in the top compartment and it works fine.

I like the gps 'tactical' bag better. 

It comes with 3 individual pistol sleeves. For 1911's or say a cz shadow I can fit the gun and 6 mags in the cases. For a limited or open 2011 I just fit the gun only in the case. I can fit 2 5 inch open guns (each in a case) in the bottom and then a daa 8 magazine holder filled with a mix of 140 and 170mm mags as the third item in the bottom. 

For the top is glasses, muffs, timer, lula, ammo etc. side compartment has a small tool and spares kit. 

Front compartment can hold a bottle of oil and more anmo if needed. 

Love it. 

I think its a better match bag than the handgunner version. 

Edit: quality is really good and the 3 padded gun cases are nice as those are usually $20 each. It also has a big strap to hold your rig. 

Edited by BeerBaron

I have both and to be honest I think the handgunner is the better the tactical is a little small overall for my taste, if they could combine the features of the tac with the size of the HG I would probably jump on that.

Ie: the side entry and the molle straps. 

Edited by terrydoc

I like it being smaller. I have a large daa pack if I want to go full retard and bring a whole workshop but the tactical helps keep me sane. 

I can fit:

2 x full size 2011 opens (each in their own bag)

8 x 2011 magazines

300 rounds in 3 100 round cases

tool kit in hard case in the side pocket

spares and springs in the far side pocket

peltor muffs

daa knee pads

lula

small rule book

in the front things like, cleaning cloth for cmore, spare batteries, my camera setup, timer, shower cap.

In the top are some of the ammo, 2 pairs of glasses, hammer, squib rod, some other bits. 

My hat is attached to the target loop

rig attached to the big strap

the only thing I need to carry is drink bottle which is not such a hassle. 

Yes the bag is fairly full with the above gear. 

For steel challenge i was I was able to fit:

Ruger 22/45 lite with comp and cmore

cz shadow 

svi 2011 open with full size cmore

all in their individual bags all in the bottom. The ruger and cz both had their mags in the gun pouch too. 2011 mags got moved to the top. 

I agree it's on the smaller side but I don't want a backpack any bigger. Once it gets much bigger I go to cart. :)

• 3 months later...