Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC fails to go into battery

TeedOff

36 minutes ago, davsco said:

just curious, where is your ejector rubbing the slide?  is it one of the sides or the top of the ejector?

On the end towards the muzzle, on the outside surface of the ejector...about the last 2mm of it is clearly rubbing.

STI had a bad batch of ejectors that bent. Mine was so bad when it happened during a match that I had to pound the slide closed with a piece of wood and a hammer. After getting it apart we saw the problem. Replaced it with a tuned Brazos ejector as I didn't want to send it in for warranty. Eventually my DVC open went back to STI for some other warranty work and I listed several problems I had including this and all were replaced and tuned before it came back to me. Excellent customer service.

gerritm

STI is sending me a new ejector to try. If that doesn't fix it they will RMA it for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

STI is sending me a new ejector to try. If that doesn't fix it they will RMA it for repairs.

STI has awesome support.    Hope they get you all fixed up quickly.   

On 4/6/2017 at 9:21 PM, slimm609 said:

STI has awesome support.    Hope they get you all fixed up quickly.   

I got the new ejector...same problem as the original.  With no ejector in the gun the slide racks and returns to battery as normal.  Waiting for STI to send me a shipping label...

• 4 weeks later...
send it back to STI..

This ended up being the solution.

Received the gun back from STI yesterday. Talked to the gunsmith who worked on. He said the ejector was bent so he replaced it. While running some test rounds he was having some failures to extract. He found that the extractor was too long so he replace that too. Said he then ran 6 mags with no issues.

This morning I took it out and was able to run 150 rounds without issue. Seems like both problems are resolved. I'm pleased with the service from STI...they paid for the two day air both ways and got the gun fixed in about three weeks. Ryan and Brandon kept me up to date on progress thru the repair process.

Good to hear as I will be ordering the DVC 9mm on Monday-

Do You think it could benefit from a 90 degree mount? Just 

to help with more clearance for ejection.

Hello: I have two STI slides that I had to clearance the ejector slot on since they were not wide enough to clear the ejectors I tried in them. That was a new one for me. Tune the ejector and you will not have a problem using a standard C-More mount. The rounds should eject almost flat out the side. Thanks, Eric

I believe so. I switched to the 90* mount also because it puts the dot closer to the bore. I've found that it's easier for me to pick up the dot now that the dot is closer to where irons would be...as I'm coming from iron sighted gun.

Hi Teed Off:

The problem you are having is more common than you would suspect.

If your gun - when unloaded - racks without resistance to the slide movement then the answer is in your ammunition.

Before you get upset let me explain.

The tall relatively small diameter .38 Super or Super comp cases stretch under the pressure in the case in a similar manner to rifle brass.

The nominal spec for .38 Super/Super Comp  is .893" - I have some cases that have stretched through wear as long as .927.

What happens is they exceed the length chambered in the barrel and rest on the ledge and the head of the case is no longer flush with the end of the hood of the barrel preventing the gun from going into battery.

I do not expect you to measure each case (friends have!) but to purchase a 50 round case gauge block from EGW - they place a "ledge" in each hole that replicates a gun chambered correctly.

Then you have to pull the rounds that are too long (the case not the o.a.l.) and trim them or discard them.  I do not have any trouble with my guns feeding but it takes time and effort to verify that the ammo is good.   GOOD LUCK.

Grandpoobah

Edited by Grandpoobah

29 minutes ago, Grandpoobah said:

Hi Teed Off:

The problem you are having is more common than you would suspect.

If your gun - when unloaded - racks without resistance to the slide movement then the answer is in your ammunition.

Before you get upset let me explain.

The tall relatively small diameter .38 Super or Super comp cases stretch under the pressure in the case in a similar manner to rifle brass.

The nominal spec for .38 Super/Super Comp  is .893" - I have some cases that have stretched through wear as long as .927.

What happens is they exceed the length chambered in the barrel and rest on the ledge and the head of the case is no longer flush with the end of the hood of the barrel preventing the gun from going into battery.

I do not expect you to measure each case (friends have!) but to purchase a 50 round case gauge block from EGW - they place a "ledge" in each hole that replicates a gun chambered correctly.

Then you have to pull the rounds that are too long (the case not the o.a.l.) and trim them or discard them.  I do not have any trouble with my guns feeding but it takes time and effort to verify that the ammo is good.   GOOD LUCK.

Grandpoobah

Hi Grandpoobah,

The gun was not racking when completely empty (no mag, no ammo whatsoever).  Sorry if I poorly conveyed the nature of the problem.

When I removed the ejector, it racked fine.  My diagnosis, since confirmed by STI, was that the ejector was either not fitted correctly or bent.  STI replaced the ejector and now it is running properly.  Additionally they identified the extractor as being out of spec (too long) and replaced that as well.

The same 9mm major ammo I was using as the problem described above was developing is now working flawlessly in the factory repaired gun.

Dan

Thank you for the update.

A good way to determine areas of friction is with Dykem (or Magic Marker).

I have had ejector problems when I build guns and I use a 1" wide belt sander to modify them to conform to the cut out in the slide.

Never heard of an extractor that was too long - cannot believe that as it would be almost impossible for a CNC machine to make one out of tens of thousands longer than the others.

STI's warrantee is the best on the business - congratulations on getting your gun up and running.

Walter

Thank you for the update.

A good way to determine areas of friction is with Dykem (or Magic Marker).

I have had ejector problems when I build guns and I use a 1" wide belt sander to modify them to conform to the cut out in the slide.

Never heard of an extractor that was too long - cannot believe that as it would be almost impossible for a CNC machine to make one out of tens of thousands longer than the others.

STI's warrantee is the best on the business - congratulations on getting your gun up and running.

Walter

Yes I could see where it was rubbing. I likely could have messed with it but as it was basically new, less than 750 rounds, I figured it best to let STI sort it out.

I don't know if they had one bad extractor or maybe a bad batch. Either way that's what the guy told me when I talked to him. He said he ran six mags thru without issue. When I got it back I ran a couple hundred round thru it and its running great.

I agree...100% satisfied with the warranty service from STI.