Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC fails to go into battery

TeedOff

My still relatively new DVC open has progressively gotten worse about failing to go into battery.  A few hundred round ago it would happen once or twice in a stage.  Now it's every single shot.  Bolt action open gun was not what I was going for.   I'm not seeing anything obvious like a pile of metal shavings or something like that.  I've cleaned and lubed it, and even in that condition, no mag in, when I rack the slide it hangs up just out of battery. In both cases, either in dry fire or live fire, a little bump takes it into battery.  Anyone seen this, have a hint?

So I had this happen just recently as I played around with tuning my trigger pre/post travel.  Mine was a disconnector problem.  My trigger travel was extending to far and applying excessive pressure against my disconnector.  When I held the trigger to the rear, racking the slide was a challenge.  It would actually hang up in live fire as well until I adjusted the trigger properly to not press so far against the disconnector. 

Not it saying this is your problem, but something to double check on. 

16 hours ago, al503 said:

It could be a defective or worn out recoil spring.  I take it you're using the factory recoil spring?  How many rounds with it?  

I have maybe 700 to 750 rounds on the gun.  Still have the factory recoil spring.  While I have plenty of other recoil springs I could put in (also shoot single stack in 9mm) it doesn't seem like a recoil spring should last only 750 rounds max.  Or maybe that's just how it is with Open.  This problem has developed over the last 200 rounds, so need a new recoil spring every other match (plus practice in between) seems way excessive.

2 hours ago, Kdenny said:

I had a similar problem recently with my DVC open.  The fix was a new ejector (Brazos tuned ejector).  Solved all my problems.

I've got an Aftec sitting here that I've been meaning to put in...maybe I'll try that before sending it to STI.

14 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

So I had this happen just recently as I played around with tuning my trigger pre/post travel.  Mine was a disconnector problem.  My trigger travel was extending to far and applying excessive pressure against my disconnector.  When I held the trigger to the rear, racking the slide was a challenge.  It would actually hang up in live fire as well until I adjusted the trigger properly to not press so far against the disconnector. 

Not it saying this is your problem, but something to double check on. 

Thanks for the thought...I've not messed with the trigger so I'm thinking this isn't it.  Come to think of it, I was having a lot of extraction problems so I did tweak the extractor a bit to add some tension.  Maybe too much...

I've seen this caused by an extractor with sharp edges where the rim slides by going into battery. Need to radius the edges just a little so they slide by smoothly and don't get hung up on nicks in the brass. 

2 hours ago, racer-x said:

I've seen this caused by an extractor with sharp edges where the rim slides by going into battery. Need to radius the edges just a little so they slide by smoothly and don't get hung up on nicks in the brass. 

So this hang up happens with no mag and rounds in the gun (dry firing) and when live firing.  I guess I don't see how the ejector could be causing this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thx

6 hours ago, TeedOff said:

I have maybe 700 to 750 rounds on the gun.  Still have the factory recoil spring.  While I have plenty of other recoil springs I could put in (also shoot single stack in 9mm) it doesn't seem like a recoil spring should last only 750 rounds max.  Or maybe that's just how it is with Open.  This problem has developed over the last 200 rounds, so need a new recoil spring every other match (plus practice in between) seems way excessive.

I agree but there are lots of different aspects to consider with recoil springs.  What weight is the spring you have in the pistol now?  Some go very light 7 or 8 lbs, and you're probably going to have to replace it very frequently.  You can go a lot longer with heavier springs as even as they wear down, they're still strong enough to push the slide back into battery.

13 hours ago, al503 said:

I agree but there are lots of different aspects to consider with recoil springs.  What weight is the spring you have in the pistol now?  Some go very light 7 or 8 lbs, and you're probably going to have to replace it very frequently.  You can go a lot longer with heavier springs as even as they wear down, they're still strong enough to push the slide back into battery.

It still has the stock recoil spring, which according to the STI website is 8 lbs.

14 hours ago, sfinney said:

Check to see if the ejector is fully seated an pinned. It can ride up and bind the slide... or if bent ride the slide.

I will have to check this tonight.  In fact I think I will remove the ejector and extractor and see if the slide reciprocates without any snags in that state.  I'll remove one at a time to see which, if either, is the cause of the problem.

STI had a bad batch of ejectors that bent. Mine was so bad when it happened during a match that I had to pound the slide closed with a piece of wood and a hammer. After getting it apart we saw the problem. Replaced it with a tuned Brazos ejector as I didn't want to send it in for warranty. Eventually my DVC open went back to STI for some other warranty work and I listed several problems I had including this and all were replaced and tuned before it came back to me. Excellent customer service.

gerritm

3 minutes ago, gerritm said:

STI had a bad batch of ejectors that bent. Mine was so bad when it happened during a match that I had to pound the slide closed with a piece of wood and a hammer. After getting it apart we saw the problem. Replaced it with a tuned Brazos ejector as I didn't want to send it in for warranty. Eventually my DVC open went back to STI for some other warranty work and I listed several problems I had including this and all were replaced and tuned before it came back to me. Excellent customer service.

gerritm

Can you share which Brazos ejector you used?  I'm assuming the pro series performance tuned ejector.

Yes, that is the one. Make sure you check out the installation procedure. Have to drill a hole thru the ejector using a reverse type drill bit. Worked well, but depending on your gun you may need to do some minor tuning. Not sure if that comes with the drill & roll pin. Originally I got an un-tuned ejector, drill, and roll pin from Dawson and did the tuning myself. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/ejector-pin-drill-bits/

gerritm

9 hours ago, gerritm said:

Yes, that is the one. Make sure you check out the installation procedure. Have to drill a hole thru the ejector using a reverse type drill bit. Worked well, but depending on your gun you may need to do some minor tuning. Not sure if that comes with the drill & roll pin. Originally I got an un-tuned ejector, drill, and roll pin from Dawson and did the tuning myself. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/ejector-pin-drill-bits/

gerritm

Thanks...I've taken a close look at the ejector on my DVC Open and compared its fit against my 2011's and single stacks...there is no doubt to me that the ejector on the DVC is rubbing against the slide.  None of my other guns show any evidence of that rubbing.  I had see that about 2mm on the muzzle end of the ejector are showing slight wear from the rubbing.  My next step is to send it to STI and have then diagnose and fix it.  Thanks to all for getting me pointed to what appears to be the issue.