Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Custom

zinger4040

Trying to make my final decision on a limited gun and I am looking hard at Akai. Had the chance to shoot a 6 inch akai with a pelican barrel and liked it. Anyone here have any experience with Akai they can share? Also looking at Atlas and CK arms. Thanks

I would have to say atlas as well.  I think your money is going to go a lot further with them.  Akai is doing some cool stuff with their open guns but for a limited gun I don't think its worth it.

I have an older Akai I picked up used on these forums.

I have zero complaints, probably 15-20k rounds through it since purchase.  The gun just runs - ammo length, primer type, bullet diameter - none of it matters, the gun just runs.

That being said, I've never actually been able to get ahold of him to ask questions.

Edited by ThePeanutGallery

I have an older Akai I picked up used on these forums.

I have zero complaints, probably 15-20k rounds through it since purchase.  The gun just runs - ammo length, primer type, bullet diameter - none of it matters, the gun just runs.

That being said, I've never actually been able to get ahold of him to ask questions.

This is another mark in favor of Atlas. I was initially having some issues with my Titan. I called the shop and spoke with the owner Adam, who picked up he phone, for 15 minutes about what was going on. The result of that conversation was him diagnosing the issue, paying to have it sent back and repairing it for no cost, plus he tuned 7 of my mags for free for my trouble.

Customer service has been exceptional.

What is your actual experience with a CK that makes you say that?

The online behavior of the owner leads me to believe he's not someone I would want to deal with if issues arose with the gun. I'm sure 100 people will pile on with stories to the contrary, but it seems to be an unnecessary risk.

My CK had deep toolmarks in the barrel from the factory.  I had to send it back on my dime, but they refit a new barrel quickly.  I'm still not exactly happy with 3.5" @ 25 yards rested (my ACCU Shadow load shoots less than 1" @ 25).

You cannot go wrong with Akai. I have 2 Open guns from Akai and they are running like scalded dogs. I also have an Atlas Limited gun also. The thing about Shay is that he will build what you want but he will keep you out of trouble if you get to crazy. They have been busy with the Team guys getting them ready for the Optic Nationals but they are back in the shop now, Shay travels to support his guys and get feed back on the guns. I go to the shop a couple of times a month and they are always there; he will stand by his guns and fix any problems, I have had zero problems with my Open guns. You won't be sorry if you go with Akai, trust me!!!

Akai's are the two nicest guns I own, both ascetically and functionally.

Bedell's guns run just as well but like Akai's serrations.

With that said Dan built me an Open gun last year, got it in June and very satisfied.

Most everybody's in the same price range and IF I'm going to pay that kind of cash would rather do it with some one who has been at it for a long time.

The newer guys seem to be doing a great job though

Akai or Dan Bedell would be my first choice.

Others after that

REMEMBER you asked for opinions

2 hours ago, CodyAxon said:

The online behavior of the owner leads me to believe he's not someone I would want to deal with if issues arose with the gun. I'm sure 100 people will pile on with stories to the contrary, but it seems to be an unnecessary risk.

There are two owners. One likes to hop on social media a lot and is not afraid to speak his mind. He certainly doesn't suffer fools gladly. lol The other half of the team is a ghost. Nothing wrong with either style.

2 hours ago, SV650Squid said:

My CK had deep toolmarks in the barrel from the factory.  I had to send it back on my dime, but they refit a new barrel quickly.  I'm still not exactly happy with 3.5" @ 25 yards rested (my ACCU Shadow load shoots less than 1" @ 25).

Load development will fix that. I have two Open guns and my primary gun load shoots about 1.5" at 20 yds but spreads out to about 2.5" in my backup. The load that is super accurate in my backup is not as tight in my primary. Go figure! So I load for my primary and make the best of it if I ever have to switch guns in a match.

Trying to make my final decision on a limited gun and I am looking hard at Akai. Had the chance to shoot a 6 inch akai with a pelican barrel and liked it. Anyone here have any experience with Akai they can share? Also looking at Atlas and CK arms. Thanks

Try Eddie Garcia EMG Customs
Eddie is active shooter , his guns is amazing...
Look this new slide
16824d79d4f9d1f0d11c3506245b9381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, not that it's the end all be all, but in the last six months I've contacted both atlas and akai. Adam spent close to 45 minutes with me on the phone. Awesome guy. Had me asking questions of myself that I didn't even know I should be asking!  Shay told me the phone was tough for him bc of his schedule so texting/facebook messaging were better. That being said he's always responded to any questions I had, and seems like a genuine good guy from what I can tell. Doesn't make his guns any better or worse than anyone else, just a heads up that to those that care

I wouldn't rule out CK based on the K of CK I have a cheely built by Matt cheely (the C) and will order a second one as soon as he accepts orders again. From What I have seen out of your choices all build good guns pick the one you like the look/feeling of and shoot it. The advantage to not going CK is you get options on the pistol of what you want that you can only get going custom.

Im another one on the would never give CK any business based on the K (keigans) attitude and character I have seen from his Social media posts. Speaking your mind is fine, you dont have to be a dink (other words came to mind but I settled) to speak your mind and make a point. You dont even have to be looking for it to see, look at enough competition related facebook posts and sooner or later if CK is mentioned he will pop up and fulfill the expectation.

I shot a match with Eddie from EMG a couple of years ago and I was very impressed with his attention to detail when talking about his guns and his professionalism. I would buy from him without hesitation.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:19 PM, Sarge said:

There are two owners. One likes to hop on social media a lot and is not afraid to speak his mind. He certainly doesn't suffer fools gladly. lol The other half of the team is a ghost. Nothing wrong with either style.

I've had very helpful, and nearly immediate, response from CK when I've asked them questions about my pistol via Facebook Messenger.  Even on a Saturday morning. I couldn't ask for more responsive service....

Akai! Shay stands behind his work. If you have a problem you need not worry. If you need to get in contact with him Facebook messenger will work, very responsive. His guns hold their value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to go Akai. Sent my check, but he's been a bit spotty with communication (Facebook messenger) in the last week or so. I don't need to be coddled or stroked (pun intended) but the price I am paying it would be nice if he could respond within a reasonable timeframe. I sent him a message 3 days ago. No response. I send him a message yesterday  asking him to please check his messages and responds immediately he has not had time to check his messages. 24 hours later I still don't hear from him so I send another message which has gone unanswered. My message basically let him know my money was on its way, and my ffl information. I also asked to please include a build sheet when the gun ships if possible, and what he thought about possibly adding a metal grip. 

In all honesty were these ridiculous messages that take a long time to answer? 

Seems like a good guys, and I believe in his guns. Just wish communication was a tad better. I'm a patient person, but I'm slowly growing irritated.