Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split brass

Johrichal

Found this when I was putting my brass I shot yesterday in the tumbler. I dont see any other overpressure signs. Does it look like pressure to you guys or just a bad piece of brass that I missed on my pre use checks?

I was shooting 147gr bayou coated over 2.7gr TG OAL 1.140

20170331_212157-979x979.jpg

Only been used twice. Not sure what my PF is I dont have a chrono yet but im using lyman data where max is 2.8gr TG at 1.058 I believe and its a very light shooting load and I didnt notice any  heavier feeling shots when I was shooting. Got me a little worried though so I went back and inspected my brass again

9mm brass splits whenever it feels like, I load major and minor and get a few from time to time. Nothing to be concerned about, throw them into the recycling bin and continue on.:) The first picture is how many I collected in a plastic cup on my loading bench over around 30K rounds loaded.

split brass 5-14-2 (Small).jpg

split case.JPG

Edited by Bkreutz

6 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

9mm brass splits whenever it feels like, I load major and minor and get a few from time to time. Nothing to be concerned about, throw them into the recycling bin and continue on.:) The first picture is how many I collected in a plastic cup on my loading bench over around 30K rounds loaded.

split brass 5-14-2 (Small).jpg

split case.JPG

+1

I always run range brass.  I have no idea the age of any particular piece of brass in my collection - some might be once fired factory that someone left behind, some might be my originals and have been loaded who knows how many times, possibly 20?

With that said, I check each brass before I dump it in my press' case feeder.  My technique is to grab a small handful and flow them between hands, watching for a split and listening for a different sound that indicates a split.  I would say I find about 1 in 500 are split and I toss it out.

8 hours ago, Johrichal said:

Thanks that makes me feel much better. And no 38super nobody was shooting major (my range is my backyard)

This is what happens when you run a 38 super comp through a 9mm powder die ;)

super comp (Small).jpg

Looks like you got yourself a nice little trumpet there! I found a few pieces of brass that I had picked up at the actual range the other day that were stamped S&B 9mm Br.c thet kept popping out of my shellplate when i was trying to put a primer in them. I googled it and turns out 9mm Br.C is european for 9mm short which is .380 WTF! 

when you're picking up range brass, shake them in your hand when you get a dozen or so picked up. a split case in your handful has a very distinct sound and you'll learn to quickly get rid of them before they even make it from the range to your house.

and yes, what happened to you is normal and not a sign of over pressure on your end.

I had a friend had a 9mm case that blew out just in front of the rim today. It blew his mag out on to ground in several pieces did not hurt him or the Glock. Opinions wanted did it fire before the slide was closed or was the brass just work harden from to many loading? I'm pretty sure it's was not over charged.

I can't believe how people get their panties all wadded up by how many times brass has been shot. Geez, I have been loading for over fourty years and I'm still using brass that is older than that! When it splits, pitch it, otherwise load it, shoot it, have fun and stop stressing out FCOL.

To the OP...

thats just fire split brass. 

Anyone who shoots 9 major will see these from time to time.

not a big deal. I am not a meticulous reloader and have actually reloaded this sort of Fire split brass and only caught the split case  when drop checking before a major match. I wouldn't be surprised if, with my local and training ammo I've actually shot some of em. I'm still here.

i actually saw these all the time back when I shot cowboy ammo with .45 colt. Really pissed me off as that is some spendy brass!

im not a member of the safety patrol. 

90% of the tokarev brass I find is split too. 

I see it was a federal case and no way it was a major loaded case. So with that known it probably because it federal brass. Federal is usually the hardest and therefore the most brittle. I've had more federal cases split after an equal amount of reloading compared to most, with the exception of some foreign brands like tulammo that I won't even bother with. Remember Most cases are brass in the methodical sense but in reality they are not pure brass but have a higher tin content than usual or alloyed with another element that's usually cheaper than brass. So each maker has a recipe that a smelter vendor makes for them. Federal happens to use a harder recipe. So don't get worried, it's just most likely just a bad case. And as it was already said cases are gonna split at some point and 9mm and 38 special are the most common to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like I find a case like that every couple of range trips with my .380 Glock 42. Of course all of my .380 brass is from range pickups and I have to load pretty close to max to cycle the 42. I don't notice the splits until I pick up brass.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:19 AM, Bkreutz said:

This is what happens when you run a 38 super comp through a 9mm powder die ;)

super comp (Small).jpg

A 357 mag case looks very similar, maybe even worse, when ran through a 38spl powder die.