Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How young would you start junior shooter?

MemphisMechanic

Currently have him working with a 22/45 and a small cheap red to get his feet wet. He's safe and respectful of firearms, and absolutely loves ringing steel.

Aside from ensuring the child in question has amassed proper gun handling skills and is strong enough to hold & reload the gun for 5 strings, what else should I consider?

Is there an age requirement in steel challenge?

From those of you who have started a junior shooter off in SC... what should I consider?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My son shot a steel match (local) when he was 6. If I remember correctly, he came in 6th out of around 15. He shot a dot from 6 till 12 (Browning Buckmark) and at that age I had him start a 9mm with a dot. At about 14 or 15 he went to open sights. He can shoot anything now and I have a hard time beating him in man-on-man. Great way to spend time together. Go for it!

PS

Your son looks like K.C. a little. Hope he ends up being that good!

My daughter shoots steel challenge with a 22/45 lite with a cmore.  She is 10 and started when she was 9.  In fact we are shooting in the US Steel Nationals tomorrow.

Like you said focus on safety and gun handling.  Aside from that, just encourage him and praise him; keep it fun.  We usually have a contest at practice to see who can shoot the best smiley face on a piece of steel.  Early on I would place clay pigeons in the berm and let her shoot at those.  She liked seeing them bust when she hit them.  Keep in mind that they get bored quickly.  My daughter carries and iPad with her and plays on it between stages.  She likes to paint the steel between shooters so I let her do that to keep her involved. 

I would just focus on safety and having fun.  Try to do something special associated with it.  We usually go to her favorite restaurant for lunch after the local matches.

Edited by s2000red

If he gets into it I'll probably have to slap a Pac Lite upper on it, or whichever mkII 22/45 lightweight option is currently the way to go, in order to shave weight off of it.

Mostly because I've always wanted an excuse to drop money into that gun. It has a Marvel trigger and that's about it. ;) 

This isn't necessarily for SC only, but a young fellow who shoots with us started NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) shooting as a 9 year old with a Ruger .22.  He graduated to centerfire in his teens and stayed interested in that type of shooting. He won the Lawman Category at Bianchi in 2014 after becoming a Deputy Sheriff here in VA after he was old enough to go to the police academy.  I'd guess 9 isn't a bad age to start 'em as long as they display the gun handling skills you mentioned at that age.

Alan~^~

As far as safety, I'm personally quite happy with him, or I'd certainly not consider stating him so young. I've been doing USPSA and IDPA since 2007 and have been swept by unsafe shooters often enough already, thank you.

He's more cautious and less complacent than half of the adult novices I've RO'd... not that that's saying much.

Making him recite the four laws of gun safety from memory each time he was allowed to hold or shoot was a good move. I suggest it to anyone who asks me.

If he gets into it I'll probably have to slap a Pac Lite upper on it, or whichever mkII 22/45 lightweight option is currently the way to go, in order to shave weight off of it.

Mostly because I've always wanted an excuse to drop money into that gun. It has a Marvel trigger and that's about it. [emoji6] 

I have a paclite mark 3 and the wife has a 22 / 45 lite. They are completely equal in terms of function. I put a fiber optic front sight on hers. I can actually shoot slightly better groups with her 22/45 lite.

The TacSol looks better tho.

Have you thought about starting him with a 22 rifle for steel challenge? Less of a learning curve, slightly safer (in my opinion), and you can trick out the rifle and the pistol in the end

Sounds like a 22/45 lite would be great for you guys then. This one is set up for small hands and some things that would help a little guy.

Thin g10 grips (stonerCNC/Amazon) - mostly cosmetic, slight advantage for small hands

Sling shot mod (tandemkross) - much easier than releasing the bolt with the stock lever for small hands

Extended safety (tandemkross) - same as above

Charging handle (tactical solutions) - cheap and plastic, you may want to buy a metal version (but when mine broke, I sent them an email and they mailed me two more)

Magazine bumpers with a spring assist (tandemkross) - really helps with seating the magazine and ejecting cleanly even with the magazine disconnect removed

d4b56ec254a18a2168baae3128814bbb.jpgbfe7075b46ad08498e04f4ad3acaa6b9.jpg

18 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Sounds like a 22/45 lite would be great for you guys then. This one is set up for small hands, and some things that would help a little guy...

Well, I already have a 5" bull barreled 22/45. I have a very good friend whose a skilled machinist and AR junkie. Perhaps I'll have him mill some weight off of my current upper. It won't be as good as an aluminum unit but would be a fun project.

I may need to go research that now... suggestions?

If he decides to really get into it, I'll consider changing guns. And upgrading Optics. ;) 

Some clubs have a minimum age. Other than that I think you have to be the judge as to when you child it ready.

My oldest son has been shooting with me since he was six, and started shooting matches when he was 8 (he is now 10). Before he was 8 I felt he just didn't have the focus to stay safe through an entire match even though he knew firearms safety better and had better handling skills than some adults I have RO'd over the years. My youngest son who is now six really wants to start shooting matches with us. I let him shoot with us at practice but I only load one round in the mag at a time because the focus just isn't there yet. He just doesn't seem as mature or focused as my other son when he was at the same age. So unless the younger one matures some more before he is 8 I doubt he will start shooting matches as early as my oldest. My oldest is a super serious kid most of the time, the younger is a goofball (in a good way). So I just think that their personalities have alot to do with how they mature, stay focused, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a cheer for Venice Oliver. Ron said before he was thinking about starting her seriously around 8, but she has shown at NSSF matches and practice that she already had the focus. So I was not surprised when I saw she was entered in the Steel Nationals.

We started our son shooting around 7 and his 1st competition was at around 9/10. He started with NSSF Rimfire challenge and moved to USPSA Production @13 and 3 Gun around 14.

• 4 weeks later...

Memphis, there is an organized sport for children shooting steel. Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation  (.org).

Simpler stages. Trained coaches that work only with children through high school. Under 12 they compete with 22 rifles.  but at coaches discretion can train with both.  we have kids down to 9 years old.

http://shot.sssfonline.com/shot5/web/publish/team/index.asp?eid=150

NExt team season starts sept, 1.