Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 OAL help!

So my dies are tight and so is the shell plate. I screwed the plate all the way tight then backed off 1/16 of a turn like I've read on the forum. I'm loading 40 and looking for a window of 1.175-1.178 is acceptable.

When I set the die I'm only putting one shell in the shell plate to get it set. Once it is set, I load the entire plate with cases to make sure everything is set properly. Once I verify it, I start loading. Once I check a couple rounds I'm getting spreads from 1.168-1.180. Wtf? I called Dillon and they said .020 is acceptable in their manual. Wtf because I had a 550 and that sucker was spot on. 

Also, sometimes I would load a single round to check and see (with an empty shell plate) and it would seat the bullet all the way in the case? 

Any help would be great. 

Edited by nikdanja

Is the seating die clean of lube, lead, etc?  I've never needed to have a tight tolerance window so have never checked enough to see what I'm getting.  But when I notice it is different, usually based on where it crimped on the bullet, I know I went too long before I cleaned the guts of the seating die.

Quote: "sometimes I would load a single round to check and see (with an empty shell plate) and it would seat the bullet all the way in the case?"

I just got home from Area 1, and I'm dirty and tired.  So I apologize if I'm dense right now, but I can't figure out what you mean by that.

Edited by MAC702

Found out the problem and just like I figured, 100% complete user error. Just embarrassing.  The little clip that spits out a live round was under the shell plate screw. Just embarrassing, but I swear I'm safe on the range! Lol

On 3/30/2017 at 5:57 PM, nikdanja said:

Found out the problem and just like I figured, 100% complete user error. Just embarrassing.  The little clip that spits out a live round was under the shell plate screw. Just embarrassing, but I swear I'm safe on the range! Lol

What did your primers look like?

4 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

What did your primers look like?

Great .005-.007. 

I'm really disappointed in the lack of consistency I'm getting tho. My 550 was +- .003 MAX. The 650 is +- .006.  It sucks loading for major and flirting with how long I can load before the bullet is shoved into the lands and starts causing pressure issues.