Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 3 Match

AKJD

So I'm attending the Area 3 match, mostly chosen because it fits into my schedule and gives me some time to practice some with my open pistol once all this snow melts.  My first major  and match outside of Alaska so looking for some information about this match in particular.  I did some searching and didn't find much on here, doesn't seem to get as much traffic as some of the other matches.  I'm scheduled to shoot in the morning and my flight was changed so am getting in to Omaha later than originally planned and am thinking of changing to afternoon.  So what are peoples thoughts on shooting morning vs afternoon.  With the orientation of the range could the sun be an issue in the afternoon or morning. Any other helpful information about the area, range, match etc would be appreciated. 

Edited by AKJD

I shot it for the first time last year and it was a blast. If I remember correctly you are shooting to the west so yes you could be looking into the sun if things ran late but at that time of the year it should not be a problem. I would worry about the heat more. It can hot and humid down there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I went for the first time last year, and originally chose morning because I thought it would be cooler and less likely to have thunderstorms. I ended up switching to afternoon to squad with a buddy and the mornings had thunderstorms but afternoon was beautiful. Roll the dice.

It's one of my favorite matches ever, with creative and challenging stages. I really enjoyed it and I'm going back. I think it gets less traffic than A1 and A2 because it is way further from socal and phoenix, but it's a great match.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CodyAxon said:

It's Nebraska in August. It's going to be miserably hot and humid at best and it will rain/lighting/tornado at worse. It's a good time.

Hey, it is western* Nebraska.  It'll be miserably hot and DRY at best.  :)

*(Not really that far west.  But the air is noticeably drier than in Lincoln or Omaha.)

4 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

Hey, it is western* Nebraska.  It'll be miserably hot and DRY at best.  :)

*(Not really that far west.  But the air is noticeably drier than in Lincoln or Omaha.)

but noticeably more humid than in america (i.e., the west).

Hey, it is western* Nebraska.  It'll be miserably hot and DRY at best.  [emoji4]

Yeah, it's still the eastern half of Nebraska. Those of us who live in the Omaha area think everything west of Lincoln is "western Nebraska."

• 2 weeks later...

Good match and well ran, weather sucked for mornings last year but was nice afternoons. I decided to switch to afternoons for this year also to avoid taking Friday off work.