Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo for shooting limited at Majors

CrashDodson

8 minutes ago, 90lxracer said:

Please excuse my ignorance.. but what is "Glock'd Brass"? 

Obviously brass shot through a glock.. but what do these pistols do differently to the case than any other pistol? 

Some .40 caliber Glocks have less case support at the chamber to ramp transition than other guns.  This creates cases that expand around the head which don't get fully sized back during reloading.  Rounds sometimes don't chamber or get stuck and won't extract.

10 minutes ago, 90lxracer said:

Please excuse my ignorance.. but what is "Glock'd Brass"? 

Obviously brass shot through a glock.. but what do these pistols do differently to the case than any other pistol? 

Like you said, Glock'ed brass has been shot through a Glock.  Older models, especially in .40, had an unsupported chamber which cause a bulge near the base of the case.  I'm not sure if the newer generations of Glocks do this.

Search for "Glock bulge" and you'll get more info.

Do people really still see "Glock'd" brass ever? It's been 15+ years since Glock got rid of those terribly unsupported .40 chambers. I shoot a .40 Glock and my brass looks the same as all other range brass I pick up.

Found this in another forum.

When I went through the Glock armorer's course not long after the GEN 4 came out, I asked if the new guns had addressed that chamber issue & was told they had not.
The reason given was that it's part of retaining the feeding reliability.
This came from a travelling Glock instructor I've known for well over 25 years & he's a very knowledgeable ex-cop & longtime firearms instructor, former member of Jeff Cooper's outfit.

Like the Glocks or not, their chambers ARE more unsupported (or less fully supported) than many other brands.
And, they remain so. 

And, it's not just the .40s.

If you put calipers on the brass do you not find the base is a little too thick? Sometimes its just on one side of the case.  All glocks may not be created equal either.  I think the term "glocked" is being used to reference any brass shot out of guns with lose chambers.  

I pick up brass from anywhere and everywhere. much of it has been shot through glocks and other crappy plastic guns. the percentage of such rounds that don't case gauge is tiny, and even those rounds seem to feed fine in our 2011. I suspect most people that have feed problems have something else going on.

I have purchased once fired .40 brass from multiple sources.  All of it has at least some cases that can not be properly sized with normal sizing dies.  Normal dies just cant size all of the base of the cartridge.  Sometimes a U die can fix the case but most times the cases need to be roll sized.  Normally I will have 1-10/100 cases that will not properly gauge.  A lot of them can still be chambered in my guns but if they dont gauge they get thrown in the practice bin.  I recently sold an SV pistol with AET that would hardly chamber any used brass that wasnt roll sized.  It really depends on how the barrel was chambered when the gun was built.  Moto, glad you have good luck with your range brass, many of us do not.  

A quick google search or forum search for glocked brass will reveal a lot of people having trouble with used .40 brass.  

Seems like brass fired out of the newer Gen 3 and Gen 4 G22's have less of the Glock bulge.  I see a shitload of it as an instructor.  I have a supply of brass from when we were running Gen1's, and I noticed I get a few rounds that wouldn't case gauge, even after going through the U-die.  Of course those rounds always work in practice, but I'd rather not take a chance at a major.

Edited by blaster113
clarification

I also used Atlanta Arms remanufactured ammo at Area 1 since I couldn't fly with all the ammo I needed.  Stuff works great, 100% function in my gun, recoil impulse was OK, but I'm running a steel grip so my gun is heavy.  POI was a little lower than my reloads, probably due to the higher velocity.  No worries about it making major as the rounds I chronoed averaged 1005 fps; 180 gr bullet out of a 5.5" STI barrel for 180.9 pf. 

I'd definitely have no problem using AA ammo at a major in case you don't want to reload or can't bring enough with you. 

44 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

If you put calipers on the brass do you not find the base is a little too thick? Sometimes its just on one side of the case.  All glocks may not be created equal either.  I think the term "glocked" is being used to reference any brass shot out of guns with lose chambers.  

I've never measured brass before resizing it, but I've seen plenty of brass that looks like your picture pre resizing. From the primer strike on that brass it's just as often not from a Glock though and I'm sure some of that's from 2011s since that's what most shoot so what most of the brass I pick up with have come from.

I use a U die and get under 1% that don't pass my Hundo gauge and of those that fail the gauge I can't recall a single one that wouldn't plunk in my barrel.

6 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Here is one example.  The bulge is slight but it will cause a failure to feed in most 2011's.  

glocked.jpg

Thanks for the info!!! I had zero idea.. don't reload yet.. but I will have to tuck this away.. 

7 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I have purchased once fired .40 brass from multiple sources.  All of it has at least some cases that can not be properly sized with normal sizing dies.  Normal dies just cant size all of the base of the cartridge.  Sometimes a U die can fix the case but most times the cases need to be roll sized.  Normally I will have 1-10/100 cases that will not properly gauge.  A lot of them can still be chambered in my guns but if they dont gauge they get thrown in the practice bin.  I recently sold an SV pistol with AET that would hardly chamber any used brass that wasnt roll sized.  It really depends on how the barrel was chambered when the gun was built.  Moto, glad you have good luck with your range brass, many of us do not.  

A quick google search or forum search for glocked brass will reveal a lot of people having trouble with used .40 brass.  

I use a U die and factory crimp die and still get brass that won't gauge and certainly won't run in my AET barreled SV.  Just bought 15k brass for cheap. Seems half of it is glocked.