Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What camera to get for POV match recording?

Looking for a camera to take POV videos.

Was looking at the GoPro hero session, but would like some options/opinions of other shooters.

I'd be putting it into a hat, so something small enough for a hat mount would be perfect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use a Session 5.  I've made my own mount using a lightweight Nike running visor, a 1/4"-20 screw, a small piece of aluminum flat bar (bent under the brim, for support) and a gopro tripod mount.  It works well like that or on a head strap mount.

The only thing odd about the Session 5 is that gunshots sound really weird.  I've heard that the Session 4 sounds normal.

9 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

I have been looking Into the cameras that come integrated in sun glasses like iVUE camera $139 at Amazon, but not ready to pull the trigger either, they seem to have a true POV.

Check into the rating of the lenses before you buy.  I can't remember what brand I was looking into a while back, but the lenses weren't impact rated.

I have used a Go Pro and two different Contour cameras in the past.

The Pivothead Durango glasses beat them all hands-down. 

Youtube channels with examples:

@waktasz who sells them cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/user/waktasz

(Production GM)

Myself:

https://www.youtube.com/user/memphismechanic

(Production A)

I like @TennJeep1618's setup, except for the audio quality - which is a common problem with that unit and most of the others, like GoPros. It also seems to flop around a lot when  he's running.

That said, it has good video quality and isn't fisheye. I don't like fisheye units because 1. they make targets look tiny and twice as far away and 2. they make your movement / running look slower because the field of view doesn't change as fast.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I like @TennJeep1618's setup, except for the audio quality - which is a common problem with that unit and most of the others, like GoPros. It also seems to flop around a lot when  he's running.

That said, it has good video quality and isn't fisheye. I don't like fisheye units because 1. they make targets look tiny and twice as far away, and they make your movement / runnin look slower because the field of view doesn't change as fast.

It doesn't flop around quite as bad when I use the head strap mount, but when I use it I have to turn my hat around backwards and I like the hat brim keeping the sun out of my face when I shoot.  The problem with my visor mount is that visor is fitted so I can't adjust it to be really tight on my head.

Here is a video using the same Session 5 with a head strap mount.  It's a lot more stable when I'm running.

Edited by TennJeep1618