Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Stock III compared to the CZ Shadow 2

Just a quick visual comparison of the Tanfo Stock III and its once removed twice added step cousin the CZ Shadow 2..... The CZ came with a price tag right under $1700 from the custom shop with a few extra parts installed (FO Sight, Short Disconnect, Firing Pin, and some tuning) per the invoice. The average of 10 pulls shielded a 7lb 2oz DA and a 3lb 8oz SA. 

IMG_8372.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8375.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is paying for a FO front sight, AL grips, better and I think more consistent machining, and a better finish... Still not sure it makes it any better than the Tanfo if you're willing to put a little work into it. If you want to shoot the gun out of the box, the CZ could be a better option.

The NON Custom Shop Shadow 2 comes with FO Front Sight, Short Reset Disco I believe......therefore is a plus $300 for some "internal polishing"

I must admit that the Shadow 2 only needs a lighter Hammer Spring and thats all.......well a better Rear Sight too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A Stock 2/3 really needs, IMO:

One piece sear.

Front sight

Cone fit rod

Springs and polishing

...in order to be a good shooter. That's still cheaper than an S2.

Can you make it's trigger shorter and crisper in lines with a tuned CZ from Automatic Accuracy or CZCustom? Sure.

And...Of course you'll come out ahead on the Tanfo as long as we're discussing having a shop do the CZ work, and DIY on the Tanfoglio.

Theyre both great guns. Pick one and play. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Having fingered and disassembled a Shadow 2, I would buy one if I was just starting USPSA production. The level of quality and how nice they are right out of the box blow away anything from Tanfoglio. Yes, a tango is cheaper and can be made very nice. But, the Shadow 2 is so nice and requires just about nothing to be perfectly adequate.

My hope is Massimo poos his pants over this gun and steps up his game. 

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Well hurry up and start selling them, so I can see them in person, man!

im trying... its the fine details that are killing me... i hate gaps

43 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Having fingered and disassembled a Shadow 2, I would buy one if I was just starting USPSA production. The level of quality and how nice they are right out of the box blow away anything from Tanfoglio. Yes, a tango is cheaper and can be made very nice. But, the Shadow 2 is so nice and requires just about nothing to be perfectly adequate.

My hope is Massimo poos his pants over this gun and steps up his game. 

Based off the Shadow 2's price tag that i saw ($1700) and the MSRP of a Stock II/III now of about $900 you would have to be completely satisfied with the gun out of the box in order to justify that $800 increase. For anyone that has the slightest mechanical aptitude that $800 is a hard pill to swallow. I'm interested to see what the bone stock Shadow 2 (MSRP-$1300) feels like out of the box with out the custom shops secret sauce and parts on it. 

20 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Based off the Shadow 2's price tag that i saw ($1700) and the MSRP of a Stock II/III now of about $900 you would have to be completely satisfied with the gun out of the box in order to justify that $800 increase. For anyone that has the slightest mechanical aptitude that $800 is a hard pill to swallow. I'm interested to see what the bone stock Shadow 2 (MSRP-$1300) feels like out of the box with out the custom shops secret sauce and parts on it. 

A direct comparison of the shad2 and the stock 2 or 3 with the SAME MONEY SPENT, would be great.  I have a good appreciation of the entire CZ line, but a $900 Tanfo + $400 of shiny bits and a day of DIY time can be pretty impressive too.

4 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

im trying... its the fine details that are killing me... i hate gaps

That's the one I felt up. It could use a tiny amount of stoning to clean up the S.A. That's it. I was amaze.

Tanfos have in Europe a long and well earned repuation of cracking frames and slides when you shoot thousands of rounds in competition. CZs break only slide stops from time to time.

Tanfos can be made to work extremely well with Eric Grauffel custom parts but that does not help with the frames.

In Europe Tanfos were losing markets to CZ big time already before Shadow 2. CZs just plain work.