Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decocker pistol grounding question

I don't know anything about the pistols with decockers instead of safeties.

If a pistol does not have a safety but does have a decocker do they have to hit the decocker before grounding? 

(I'm talking about a loaded gun)

If so how do I tell they did when the stage is over and they retrieve it to ULSC?

is the hammer down or go to half cock?

I can't comment on the rules, but I can comment on the mechanics and manual of arms for DA/SA pistols.  On CZs, the decocker drops the hammer to half cock. It doesn't quite fully drop all the way to the frame. However, on Sigs (at least the Sigs I've handled) decocking drops the hammer all the way to the frame.

I am only familiar with USPSA Multigun rules.  Yes, the pistol must be on safe or decocked.  Basically, it has to be in a holster-legal condition for loaded guns prior to a start. Rule 8.3.6.1.

Primarily, the CRO still issues commands to have a competitor clear his abandoned firearm, during which time he would note its condition.  Often, when practical, an assistant RO clears the abandoned gun and checks its condition, but is supposed to do so with a competitor's delegate so there are always two sets of eyes on it for verification. Rule 8.3.6.3.

Hammer-down or half-cock-ish depends on the firearm in question.  It has already been ruled by DNROI that a pistol, like the CZ, that goes to a half-cock-ish step for decocking is its starting and safe position. See: https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=30

Edited by MAC702
typo, half-cock clarification