Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match. Which division?

calebj06

So I'm shooting my first uspsa match in 2 weeks (second match ever) . Haven't settled on a division yet. 

I have a stock g19 and 5 mags. One paddle style double mag pouch, one single paddle mag pouch and hopefully will have 2 ghost pouches by then. 

So so I will be able to have 4 on the belt and one in the gun at 15 rounds per. 

My 19 is a MOS so I will eventually go carry optics I think. 

Where should I shoot my first match?  

Limited minor? Leaning this way so I don't run out of ammo

production?

something else?  

Also, what are the rule differences in limited minor vs production besides 10 in the mag. 

Thanks

caleb

My opinion would be limited minor. You don't have to worry about such a detailed stage plan to accommodate 4-5 reloads. Limited minor will allow you to spend your effort learning the game and focusing on safety and all the aspects other than the shooting itself.

limited vs production - 140mm mag length load d to capacity vs 10 round max after the start. modifications legal in limited are almost endless except for comps and red dot sights. Production has very strict restrictions on what you can and cannot do to the gun. All the way down to weight restrictions of no more than 2oz heavier than the posted production weight on the firearm. The specifics can be found in the appendix section of the USPSA rule book.

stick with limited minor until you settle on a permanent division. Gook luck, be safe, and have a blast

If you plan on going carry optics then i'd go limited minor until you get a dot on your glock.  No mag capacity limit in carry optics now, so you might as well practice for carry optics with the gear you have.  

limited OK (not allowed in prod):

Doesn't have to fit in "the box"

Flared mag well is OK 

Extended mags are OK

Race holster is OK

Slide lightening is OK

full rules here:  apendix D1 and on (starts on page 76)

https://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

1 hour ago, calebj06 said:

Also, what are the rule differences in limited minor vs production besides 10 in the mag. 

In addition to what is listed above, there are also differences in what holster/mag pouches you can use and where you can place them on your belt.

3 hours ago, calebj06 said:

Limited minor? Leaning this way so I don't run out of ammo

I shot my BHP in Limited Minor for years  -   had a blast.

The only real important decision you have to make about your

very first match is:    How can I be 100% SAFE?

Go a little slower than you normally would be inclined to go,

(and MUCH slower than some of the hotshots you'll watch

in your squad), and concentrate mostly on safety - then a

little on accuracy, and don't worry about speed.

Stay safe ---   Oh, and have FUN   :) 

2 hours ago, js1130146 said:

In addition to what is listed above, there are also differences in what holster/mag pouches you can use and where you can place them on your belt.

Can someone break this down for me in simple terms so I don't look silly st the match. 

BTW. Thanks for for all the help guys

If you shoot Production you have to position your holster an all mag carriers behind your hipbones. Holster has to be a traditional enclosed type.

In Limited you can run mags and holster anywhere you want, and use a race holster. The stuff you have is also level, it just isn't as "racy" as what the other guys will use.

IMO, run your current holster and mag pouches, load a few mags up with 15 rounds and shoot Limited Minor.

You're not looking to set the world on fire. Just have fun and be safe, and 16 rounds in the gun is a lot easier to plan around than 11. Often you'll only do 1 or 2 mag changes, whereas 3 or 4 is common in Production.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:58 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

IMO, run your current holster and mag pouches, load a few mags up with 15 rounds and shoot Limited Minor.

You're not looking to set the world on fire. Just have fun and be safe, and 16 rounds in the gun is a lot easier to plan around than 11. Often you'll only do 1 or 2 mag changes, whereas 3 or 4 is common in Production.

I would agree here. Run your first few matches Limited Minor and learn how the match flows and be safe. Once you get a few matches under your belt then you can either go Production or put the dot on and run Carry optic. 

I'm going through this same decision right now. Sounds like you can switch between divisions, so that helps.

I'm probably going limited minor to start just because of the full mag and I'll be able to concentrate more on safety and stage management instead of reloads. Plus being able to put the mag pouches anywhere and being able to do some small alterations to my gun. Just my thoughts at this point.

I'm in sort of the same boat. Have a 1911 so single stack seems like the natural place to start. After a few matches I may pick up some 10-rd mags and shoot limited-10. For me the important thing is to get back to shooting matches. Which Division is not as important in my mind.

So let me change this up a bit. 

I ordered a red dot yesterday. It will be here Monday. First match is Saturday. 

Should i mount it and run it at the match in CO? Or should I leave it off for now and run limited until I get some practice time with the dot?

Edited by calebj06

12 hours ago, amokscience said:

Testing stuff out at a match is a good way to waste your day.

+1

Caleb,

As for your first match.  Just like HPJack said; Be SAFE & go SLOW.  Before squading, let the match director know it's your first time...they will probably squad you up with someone that will show you the ropes.  

• 1 month later...

I have shot about 7 matches in production and I think the extra reload planning has been good for me. I'm planning on sticking with this for at least one year and then  changing to CO or Limited.