Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC 1x4 Scope/ Anyone?

Anyone running a 1x4 scope on their PCC? Reason for asking. I have tried an Truglo/Aimpoint clone and a C-More and I still can't shoot as fast as I can with my 3-gun AR with a 1x8 Burris. Trigger is close, size & weight very similar, I shoot a C-More on my open pistol and shotgun with no problems. Fast enough. Have tried different positions on the rail and I can't seem to get the same cheek weld,  but have the same stocks on both rifles. Would be kind of nice for the longer plate rack and mini poppers in some 3-gun matches, not so much for USPSA.

Just thinking.

gerritm

Where do you have the dot mounted?  The "cool" position is forward mounted. A dot is better mounted closer to the eye because it essentily gives you a wider field of view in the eyepiece to squirrel the dot around within.  You might be shooting faster with the scope because the eyepiece is closer to your eye.  On my rimfire rifle optic I have the dot mounted as far back as possible.  Having experimented with different positions on the rail, closer to my eye is best. 

Hello: When I shot the Texas Carbine match years ago with my scoped Mech Tech I used an old Weaver V3 scope. I would index off the top of the scope for the close fast stuff and use the glass for the medium to longer range stuff. It is a nice little light scope. My Meopta 1-4 was a little too heavy for quick transitions. A nice, light, illuminated 1-4 power scope would be great for a carbine match or 3-gun for a PCC. Hard to beat the C-More for most matches around here with a 4MOA module for the long stuff. Thanks, Eric

I first mounted them out like I have on my shotgun and figuring that is where my line of sight is with it and my open pistol.  Now moved the c-more  back as far as I can and it is  better. Still not as fast.  Thinking I may try the truglo and move it back and use it more like a scope.  Might just try a light 1x4.

Gerritm 

I have the same problem. When I started doing matches with my AR, I had an Eotech and I really liked how easy it was to look through it because of the larger viewing window. The draw back was the weight (512 model) specially with the added magnifier. My shooting buddy convinced me to ditch it in favor of a good 1-4 Scope (Trijicon) which isn't bad but I still think it was easier and faster with the Eotech. In my PCC I run a Vortex Sparc AR and it is okay but I'm considering switching to a newer Eotech (XPS2) which is lighter than the older model I had. I feel I didn't have to worry so much with cheek well position with the Eotech than the tube style red dots or scope. If you can find one to borrow and try it, I would suggest it. I have astigmatism and the reticle is a bit fuzzy but still good enough for me to pick up. 

I'm building up a second PCC as a backup gun and to possibly use for 3 gun.  Aircooled6Racer recommended a Weaver V3 scope he used when starting 3 gun. It only 1-3x but nice and light and I just happened to have one in a box somewhere. I plan to try it.  Also have a Burris MTAC and a spare XTR (1-4x) to play with.

I'll bring the upper to the range and let you give it a try.

Bill

18 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Where do you have the dot mounted?  The "cool" position is forward mounted. .......

Having experimented with different positions on the rail, closer to my eye is best. 

My results were a bit different.

As a retiree, I have more spare time than sense.  My MKA 1919 shotgun has a rail that extends well past the chamber.  For grins I tried different mounting the C-more in different positions.  End result, at least for shotgun, it worked best with the Cmore lense about 4" or 5" in front of the chamber.  Further forward it did not help and was a concern when placing the gun in dump barrels.  Closer to my face really did not do anything to help.  Mounted half way on the upper receiver and half way on the handguard required I remove the Cmore everytime I cleaned the gun.  Not worth the hassle so now its as far forward as I can put it on the upper receiver.

Then when I got my PCC a few months ago I tried the same experiment.  Ended up also installing it as far forward on the upper receiver as possible.

Bill

Gerrit, I talked to Rob about this at the SW 3GN regional and ended up using a Trijicon Accupower 1-4 for my 3 Gun PCC. Rob also runs a Trijicon 1-4. There are times as you mentioned where even a 1.5-2 power is incredibly helpful. Skinny Sammies at distance are miserable with a 9mm and a 4+ MOA dot for example. Even with a small amount of magnification you make up more time on the "long" PCC shots than you theoretically save using just a red dot. 

2 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I'm building up a second PCC as a backup gun and to possibly use for 3 gun.  Aircooled6Racer recommended a Weaver V3 scope he used when starting 3 gun. It only 1-3x but nice and light and I just happened to have one in a box somewhere. I plan to try it.  Also have a Burris MTAC and a spare XTR (1-4x) to play with.

I'll bring the upper to the range and let you give it a try.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will give it a try.

Darqusoull, makes sense for sure on the longer shots. Can't see how the 1X will hold you back up close. I watched a good friend & buddy really struggle on those long plate racks and skinnies at the regional with his PCC running a red dot especially in the dark rainy afternoon. My eyes suck to begin with. Wish I would have kept a couple of my old 1x4's to play with.

gerritm

On 3/30/2017 at 11:58 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Gerrit, I talked to Rob about this at the SW 3GN regional and ended up using a Trijicon Accupower 1-4 for my 3 Gun PCC. Rob also runs a Trijicon 1-4. There are times as you mentioned where even a 1.5-2 power is incredibly helpful. Skinny Sammies at distance are miserable with a 9mm and a 4+ MOA dot for example. Even with a small amount of magnification you make up more time on the "long" PCC shots than you theoretically save using just a red dot. 

Mind if I asked a question not related to the topic? How do you deal with those 100+ yards shoots with PCC in 3 gun? Where do you zero your PCC at? Cause for USPSA, I zero my PCC only at 25 yards. I'm thinking of going 3 gun with my PCC too. Thanks!

Hello: For the Texas carbine match I zeroed at 20 yards with a 9mm shooting 124gr bullets. At 120 yards I had to aim 18" high at sea level. I hit 12x12 flashers every time. It takes a while for the bullet to get there. Just get to know where your gun hits at different distances and you should be fine. Thanks, Eric