Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New rail from Samson

Bryan 45

I'm sure some of you shooters will start seeing these rails throughout the year on prize tables since it seems Samson sponsors almost every major 3 gun match in some capacity, but here's their new small diameter free float rail for AR15s, the SX.  It uses a proprietary barrel nut (included), installed with a wrench (included).  Diameter is quite a bit smaller than the Samson Evo (as well as flat on bottom and sides instead of round), but still large enough to fit most adjustable low profile gas blocks without touching.  This rifle is wearing a DoubleStar adjustable GB.

Testing to follow.

413249767.jpg

413249768.jpg

Edited by Bryan 45

6 hours ago, troupe said:

The barrel nut looks great.  Any time you dont have to line up a gas tube hole through the nut with the gas tube hole in the receivers is good.

I agree, that's what originally drew me to the SLR handguards.  The new samson does look nice.

9 hours ago, Matt in TN said:

I like it!

You named your dog after Lita Ford?!?

We spell her name Leta, (seems more German, I don't know?) but yes, named after Lita Ford.  Not that I'm a big Lita Ford fan.  Just seemed like a good name for a dog.  (not saying Lita Ford is a dog either!)

Edited by Bryan 45

17 hours ago, Bryan 45 said:

We spell her name Leta, (seems more German, I don't know?) but yes, named after Lita Ford.  Not that I'm a big Lita Ford fan.  Just seemed like a good name for a dog.  (not saying Lita Ford is a dog either!)

I hope she at least wears leather pants.  ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to put some rounds down range today with my DoubleStar wearing the new SX rail.  It handles heat very well, is comfortable in the hand, and the small diameter makes it easy to clamp on props.  

I just picked up one of these and installed it on my new rifle, I really like the barrel nut system on this one. Question, I would like to run my JP low Profile gas block but its a "little" tight. I might have a little less then a playing card width of space between the handguard and the gas system. Is this alright? or should I forgo this gas block and get something that isn't adjustable that will fit?

I don't have any direct experience with that gas block, but that's not enough clearance for me to feel warm and cozy. 

I have the doublestar adjustable gas block and there is plenty of clearance.  It's similar to a few other manufacturers adjustable gb that have a brass set screw on the aft end and the gas adjustment screw on the side. 

• 3 weeks later...