Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More AFTEC

dkizer

I've got an STI GM in 38 Super. When the hook broke on the extractor last year I replaced it with an Aftec for 38 Super. Popped it in with both springs following all instructions. It has run like a top since. I decided to get a 9mm barrel fitted to "Ole Painless". I picked up a 9mm/38 SC Aftec. Popped it in with both springs according to all instructions. Way, way too much tension. I reinstalled with one spring (rear) and still too much tension. I compressed the spring for 10 - 15 seconds and still too much tension. It takes a lot to get it to turn loose of a dummy. I'm getting a lot of mis-feeds too on all magazines with 9mm, none with Super. The 38 Super Aftec supplies less than optimum tension (won't really hold an empty case) in the same gun with both springs installed but the extra rim on the Super is probably forgiving. Anyone have any suggestions? I was going to call Aftec for tech support but haven't been able to find a webpage. 

I've had the same issue in the beginning with 9mm major and the aftec, solution was I only run 1 front spring and rounded the bottom edge of the extractor, 1 year and 5 major matches with a couple locals the same extractor is still in it without a hiccup. Hope the info helps alittle

1 hour ago, Keola5o4 said:

I've had the same issue in the beginning with 9mm major and the aftec, solution was I only run 1 front spring and rounded the bottom edge of the extractor, 1 year and 5 major matches with a couple locals the same extractor is still in it without a hiccup. Hope the info helps alittle

Thanks for the response.

The extractor is made to be fit to the slide, these are not drop in unless you just get lucky. Slide dimensions are not exactly the same, so just as most parts in a 1911/2011 they must be hand fit. These are by far the best extractors on the market and when fit properly will work flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 6:37 AM, 357SIG said:

The extractor is made to be fit to the slide, these are not drop in unless you just get lucky. Slide dimensions are not exactly the same, so just as most parts in a 1911/2011 they must be hand fit. These are by far the best extractors on the market and when fit properly will work flawlessly.

Yeah. I was surprised with the difference in the "fit". I was expecting the only difference in the dimensions between the two Aftecs to be on the hook. Since the 9mm is going in the same hole in the same slide with the same fitted FP block as the 38 Super I was expecting something different. I'm going to give the above suggestions a try.

Appreciate all the input. I compressed the extractor and springs in the vise overnight, did a little judicious filing on the hook and reinstalled. It was better but the case was still held a little tight so I reinstalled with the front spring only. I took it out for a short session. I ran 100 rounds of the same ammo from 3 mags (including a full 170mm MBX) with no issues. I'm hoping to get it out once more before the match this weekend but I'm very encouraged. Thanks again.

Hello: There is a difference between the old Aftec and the new Aftec. I am not sure how old they need to be the old style. My understanding was that they lost the program for the original and had to redo it some years back. I cut one coil off the front spring for 9mm and use the full length rear spring. I also have to radius the claw on the Aftec to help it ramp up the breach face. Thanks, Eric

3 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

When you all talk about tuning the Aftec, you really mean tuning the firing pin stop, right?

No, the Aftec is the Extractor that is being used and tuned. 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, RaylanGivens said:

When you all talk about tuning the Aftec, you really mean tuning the firing pin stop, right?

I had a similar issue after my STI GM came back from refinishing. I had run the Aftec for almost 2 years with both springs, and I had never rounded the edges of the firing pin stop either. Gun previously ran flawlessly. However reinstalled as it was before the gun run like a single shot revolver. Replace springs, no difference, rounded the firing pin stop and removed front spring and BINGO, runs flawlessly again!

What is the easiest way to get a aftec in with both springs. I have a new 38sc that came with only the rear spring in but there is no tension on the brass, the brass won't fall but there should some tension right. I did contact the builder and he said try both spring and I though I was going to bend the firing ping using it. 

Turn the Aftec about 90 degrees (so the spring cap is on the upper side) and tilt the spring cap up on the back end so the front end tilts down.  Push the Aftec in a little more until the cap enters the extractor tunnel and once you get the spring cap started in the narrow part of the tunnel you install as normal.

BTW - i have never had an Aftec that didn't require tuning/tweaking/shaping to get running right.  I have them in a few guns, and have some with a standard extractor.  I like the Aftec as once tuned they tend to be very consistent with the ejection.  However,  there isn't anything wrong with a standard extractor and I think they are easier to tune up and get running as they aren't that complicated.