Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PD 15.5# spring and Wolf primers

johnbu

Installed a Patriot Defense 15.5# hammer spring into my CO stock 2 last week.  liked the trigger compared to running a factory spring all winter.

Shot a match Sunday (5th overall / 23) with my federal match  primed ammo. Decided to run some today with Wolf primers to see how it did DA.

20170328_171313_zpsw3nqfliq.jpg

Primer dimples are deeply uniform. Happy about that went 100/100 all DA.

Tested DA - 10 pull average shown.

20170328_171129_zpsahcsdxj8.jpg

Tested SA -  5 pull average.

20170328_171223_zps3tk0u4fn.jpg

Pretty happy with the results.

WOW!!! I just put same spring in mine but have not been able to shoot it since my barrel is on its way back from PD for chamber ream. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, how is your trigger so light? Other springs in gun, and polish? Mine feels around 7-8lbs smooth as silk but that's light!!!! Is wolf harder then CCI?

Edited by 1991a1colt

how?

Detail strip, polish. Detail strip, polish.

Repeat. 

A lot.  lol.

Attention to details in all the places that "need" a high shine.

Also have reduced trigger return and sear springs.

My feeling is that the wolf is more difficult to set off than CCI. Not "harder". They vary more in physical dimensions and are more difficult to seat.

28 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

John, can I send you guns to polish

Sure !

But I'm slow at sending them back. ;) Haha.

11 minutes ago, Polymer said:

Johnbu,

Are you using the PD firing pin?

In that gun, No. Just the factory firing pin. With the 15.5# and a semi-good buff it isn't needed. Now, dropping down to 13# or 12# hammer spring ... it would be VERY wise. Unless you have a large stash of federal match primers.

Viper and venom use the same mount.

I had several reasons. First was dot size. Viper 6moa, Venom 3moa.  I'm an old geezer and need to find it easily.

Next viper is a little lower and using the dovetail mount,  every little bit helps.

45 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I'm amazed you didn't have a dud in 10o rounds. My experience with Tula/Wolf is that th they both had a crazy amount of complete failures to ever go off. 

That was a chore. Lol. The wolf primers take extra care (as do S&B) to use. They seem to have a relatively insensitive chemistry coupled with erratic physical dimensions. And bizarrely, they seem go from "not deep enough" to "crushed to death" far too quickly.

I process them with great care and at a slow rate with extra inspections and measurement.

Winchester, CCi like to be inserted 0.006-0.008 deep. When placed in that range a 12# PD spring will set them off easily. ( With a decent polish.)  Some may need 13# or even 14# if polish, prep, tuning or factory tolerances are suboptimal.

The wolf primers at that same depth have (in my experience) 3-10% dud rate. At one point,  i even went to a wolff 22# hammer spring and still had failures!

These were set nominally to 0.003 deep. some were 0.006 and some +0.001. They don't seat to a predictable depth (for me) and i blame their dimension control.  in the past, with weaker springs those higher primers would have  (probably) needed a 2nd or 3rd wack. Sadly, wolf chemistry seems to fracture on the strike and has a lessening fire potential. If it don't pop 1st, it might pop second, but likely won't on a 3rd or 4th strike. In my experience.

Set shallow in a gentle fashion then struck with a decent spring,  they do pop. At least well enough to practice with them. Matches get federals or winchesters.

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

You have patience for handcrafting your ammo that I never will, my friend. Much respect.

My loading regimen is more like:

clunka-clunka-Dillon 650-clunka-clunka measurewhatnow?-clunka-clunka

Hehe yep!  If the powder looks right and everything feels okay, I'll shoot it.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You have patience for handcrafting your ammo that I never will, my friend. Much respect.

My loading regimen is more like:

clunka-clunka-Dillon 650-clunka-clunka measurewhatnow?-clunka-clunka

Thanks !

I bought primers expecting a November "Hill-pocalypse",  now the cupboard is full of finicky primers and the bank account empty.  So... the finicky buggers need to be crafted into usable ammo, or i don't live fire. :(   As the saying goes, necessity is a mother!

Even assembling ammo with nurturing loving care, they still need a solid whack.  That means a strong spring and better than average gun prep / polish.

I'm REALLY glad the Patriot Defense 15.5# spring gives enough of a spank to set them off!

I have 18,000 CCI Small Pistol Magnums for the exact same reason. Believe me, I get "making do with what you have!"

Otherwise I'd be running Winchesters on a 13lb PD spring and enjoying an even sexier trigger.

And for the record, a Tanfo with all the goodies will set even CCI Magnum SP primers off 100% with an EGW Medium spring. So it really will eat anything.

Edited by MemphisMechanic