Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 S3F Barrel Review

rpm8300

All - I'll post pictures and more later, but I wanted to type out some thoughts as they were fresh.  I bought a new S3F G34BBN barrel - it was the black, non-threaded version.  I bought it off Ebay for expediency purposes from Doddsportingoods.  It shipped quickly and I got it within a few days.  It costs $203.94 total.

BLUF - this barrel exceeds the OEM barrel as well as a KKM that I tried previously.  At 20 yrds from a rest, I can consistently get under 2" groups with most anything I throw at it.

Loads I've tried:

147 Rocky Mountain HP loaded to 1.12

147 Rocky Mountain RN loaded to 1.14

147 Berry's RN Plated loaded to 1.14

I haven't been able to chrony but I would wager the bullets are withing 15 fps from the OEM barrel; maybe a tick slower in the S3F.

More to follow.

Tom

I am interested in your results also.  I bought one of these barrels for my g34 based on the results of testing by the primary secondary article.   So far results are pretty good but I'm not a good group shooter.  I have a barsto, and kkm and so far I think the S3F beats them both.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a KKM, a S3F and a Barsto semi fit.  I measured the KKM and S3F against each other and they are almost identical in hood width, bottom lug to hood, and hood length. The main difference is twist rate.  They are both better dimensionaly than oem.  So I think load development is the key to getting better accuracy.  The barrel testing that everybody does is not testing the barrel but testing the load they are using in that barrel.  I also have a Barsto semi fit that is close to the others but you get a much better fit in all 3 places as you have to file a little material off.  Barsto is 1in 16 twist.  I would say the Barsto is the way to go if your going to get a after market tube.  if you are loading 147's the S3F with its fast twist is probably your best bet.  KKM doesn't give out there  twist rate, but some say it's 1 in 32, if that's correct then 115's is the way to go.

55 minutes ago, rooster said:

I have a KKM, a S3F and a Barsto semi fit.  I measured the KKM and S3F against each other and they are almost identical in hood width, bottom lug to hood, and hood length. The main difference is twist rate.  They are both better dimensionaly than oem.  So I think load development is the key to getting better accuracy.  The barrel testing that everybody does is not testing the barrel but testing the load they are using in that barrel.  I also have a Barsto semi fit that is close to the others but you get a much better fit in all 3 places as you have to file a little material off.  Barsto is 1in 16 twist.  I would say the Barsto is the way to go if your going to get a after market tube.  if you are loading 147's the S3F with its fast twist is probably your best bet.  KKM doesn't give out there  twist rate, but some say it's 1 in 32, if that's correct then 115's is the way to go.

I've got a semi fit from barsto that I'm gonna send in. (Doesn't look close to fitting to my untrained eye). Are you saying that it doesn't shoot 147's well?

I should add that I am shooting carry optics so production barrel rules apply. I would assume that means fluted barrels are not legal? Has anyone tried a Suarez international barrel? I load 135s so i would assume the s3f barrels might be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Barsto seems to have taken the middle road as far as twist rates go.  His 1 in 16 will probably shoot all weights well.  I'm not that well versed in this, but the general consensus that I have read seems that the faster twist rates shoot 147's better than slower rates.  And vice verse for the lighter bullets.  Don't know about fluted in carry optics, but I know not legal in production.

14 hours ago, Got2beshooting said:

Barsto website says they need a minimum of 6-8 weeks for production? Not sure if I want to wait that long...

And they also say that their semi fit shoild

drop in 7 out of 10 guns. I've tried mine in 3 different glocks and it's not even close. They said it'd take 10 weeks to fit.  So, probably gonna sell this "semi" fit barrel. 

Also, the dang chamber on this barrel is shorter than all my CZ barrels. And thats saying something.  

So, unless you want to be without your gun for 10 weeks, you're gonna have to go with something else. Unless you feel comfortable fitting it yourself. Which I don't. 

And they also say that their semi fit shoild
drop in 7 out of 10 guns. I've tried mine in 3 different glocks and it's not even close. They said it'd take 10 weeks to fit.  So, probably gonna sell this "semi" fit barrel. 

Also, the dang chamber on this barrel is shorter than all my CZ barrels. And thats saying something.  

So, unless you want to be without your gun for 10 weeks, you're gonna have to go with something else. Unless you feel comfortable fitting it yourself. Which I don't. 

I wouldn't be to worried about the fitting part. I have a couple of good smiths in the area that could probably get it done in a short amount of time. I have never tried to fit a barrel myself. Don't really trust myself to fit one either. But I simply cannot wait 2 months for a new barrel and will just have to find something else.

17 hours ago, Got2beshooting said:

I wouldn't be to worried about the fitting part. I have a couple of good smiths in the area that could probably get it done in a short amount of time. I have never tried to fit a barrel myself. Don't really trust myself to fit one either. But I simply cannot wait 2 months for a new barrel and will just have to find something else.

Google any of the Glock team and from the pics that come up it looks like they're shooting KKM barrels. 

I may try one of these s3f barrels since it seems they shoot 147's well. 

12 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Google any of the Glock team and from the pics that come up it looks like they're shooting KKM barrels. 

I may try one of these s3f barrels since it seems they shoot 147's well. 

Glock Team Captain Coley has run S3F barrels 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellas - sorry for the late reply.  So, the most accurate loads with the S3F are

Berry 147 Plated RN, 1.15 OAL, 3.4 grains of Accurate #2 - 1.75"-2" groups consistently

and believe it or not

Xtreme 165 Plated RN, 1.15 OAL, 2.7 grains of VV310 - 2" groups consistently

20 yards, from a beanbag.

If people want, I can post a full review of the G34 S3F setup for CO.  After trying a couple different sights, I returned to my Deltapoint Pro, which is in my opinion the best for this setup.  I had it milled by Primary Machine who did a great job.

1.75 with 147 Berry.jpg

G34 MOS.JPG

Edited by rpm8300

1 minute ago, rpm8300 said:

Hey fellas - sorry for the late reply.  So, the most accurate loads with the S3F are

Berry 147 Plated RN, 1.15 OAL, 3.4 grains of Accurate #2 - 1.75"-2" groups consistently

and believe it or not

Xtreme 165 Plated RN, 1.15 OAL, 2.7 grains of VV310 - 2" groups consistently

1.75 with 147 Berry.jpg

Distance? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:43 AM, B_RAD said:

Unless you feel comfortable fitting it yourself. Which I don't. 

Once again, it's a pity that you're just far enough away for it to be inconvenient - just like when you wished you had someone to work on your Tanfo magwell. Fitting a barrel is time consuming yet simple and I like doing such meditative tasks.

The hand-fit APEX barrel I put in my M&P dropped group sizes from 8" to 1.75-2.5" at 25yd with 147s.

(Older 9mm M&Ps are notoriously horrible at slinging heavy bullets)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

30 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Once again, it's a pity that you're just far enough away for it to be inconvenient - just like when you wished you had someone to work on your Tanfo magwell. Fitting a barrel is time consuming yet simple and I like doing such meditative tasks.

The hand-fit APEX barrel I put in my M&P dropped group sizes from 8" to 1.75-2.5" at 25yd with 147s.

(Older 9mm M&Ps are notoriously horrible at slinging heavy bullets)

Now you tell me!

I sold that barrel. 

Though the stock glock gets pretty good accuracy. I think I've got a 2" @ 25  load with 135 Acme RN, 3.4 G34 prima v @ 1.135"  

If you can get 2 at 25 with the factory barrel, I'd sell my aftermarket ones too.

You need the whole gun to fit a barrel, not just a slide. It has to be fit to the locking block and frame too. So you couldn't have just shipped the upper here.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 months later...

Is anyone running an S3F in a Gen 4?  I would like to order a Jager captured guide rod and need  to know if the lug is cut for the the larger diameter Gen 4 rod.

Edited by NWfront

• 2 weeks later...