Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re barrel STI Range Master

Chris1911

Hi,

I have a STI Range Master with a factory fitted 9 mm 5 inch STI bull barrel which I believe has been poorly fitted. I have a new 5 inch STI bull barrel and a new 5 inch KKM bushing barrel both in 9mm. I use the gun for IPSC Classic. I have shortened the dust cover and machined the slide to a classic cut. I have never owned a bushing gun.

Which barrel

should I fit? Reasons?

Cheers.

Rangemaster Dawson magwell 003.JPG

Edited by Chris1911
Pic added

The first shot always fly's high regardless of how I rack it into battery. The measurements of the barrel fit to frame recoil face are off. It will run with both a number 3 link and a number 4 link so I wonder about the feet cut measurement. I an concerned that it might break a link or pin or something. I have no faith.

Edited by Chris1911

There are plenty of instances where the barrel recoil lug and frame recoil impact surface are off, I have seen a few Targetmasters break links because of the problem. The high first shot sounds like there could be some barrel springing. Have you checked the lug engagement ? 

You could try a 4 link and relieve the top of the slide stop pin hole a tad to prevent standing on the link. That may give you contact itch the barrel lug and VIS.

The gun is running a 4 link now, that's how it came from the factory. I ran a 3 link successfully for a couple of range days with no effect so I put the 4 back. I expect to use this gun a lot so I am going to re barrel with the 6 inch KKM bushing barrel and trim it to whatever length fits in the proverbial box without looking stupidly far past the bushing. Thanks for your info re the Target Masters issues. 

Cheers. Chris 

Edited by Chris1911