Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scorpion owners?

I like mine. I think they are very good out of the box, but need the available upgrades like ak style right side safety switch, the bigger mag release, and the trigger needs replacing, and i'm thinking the best on those are yet to come.

downside is i'm not a huge fan of the stock angle and think it could be slightly longer.

still, it's very cool looking, and fun to shoot, but I still won't choose it over my ar 9mm build to compete with, until there is a better trigger kit and more upgrades available for it

I've bought one.  And started buying some of the parts I have researched already, like the AK mag release and reverse safety.  I've not yet researched what trigger to buy.  I'm waiting to get USPSA Area 1 and Multigun Nationals out of the way before I spend any time with it in prep for Hard as Hell 2-gun (Trooper division) at the end of next month.

+1

I totally agree with mattjoe and MAC702 when it comes to the Scorpion needing upgrades, but they are available for a reasonable price. As they said, the right-side safety definitely needs to be replaced. HB Industries offers both a full-size and mini reverse lever as well as a "delete" button to eliminate the lever all together (they also have few different mag releases).  

Upgrades are available from companies such as HB Industries, Yeti Wurks, GearHead Works, Shooters Element as well as CZ Custom ( a forum vendor here on BE). The trigger weight issue can be addressed with a simple $8.95 spring kit.

From the reasonable starting price to reasonable accessory and upgrade pricing, I think the CZ Scorpion is a real contender.

Thanks guys. Got a grand to spend up front. Local shop has one in stock, a couple JR carbines and a few other AR based carbines.

The scorpion fits... Gives me a much more heads up shooting position and closer to centerline of the bore.

Thought about building one from am AR platform, but spare time is something I have none of. 

b1b8b04dcdd734854fdc2d6b9ee13eb9.jpg

I am loving mine. It's my favorite thing to take to the range. I can blast ammo like I'm shooting my AR but a lot cheaper.

Mine started as a pistol and has been SBR'd. That's the pistol barrel with a Octane 45HD direct thread. The handguard is a carbine length from HBi.

There is a VERY nice trigger available from CZ Custom but it's $$$. Mine just has the HBi springs and trigger. It is ten times better than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, gixxerjunky said:

...There is a VERY nice trigger available from CZ Custom...

Found it.  Looks like it is worth it.  They have installation services available.  Do I need that?  Especially since there are two types available: simple installation, and another with a complete tuning.  I'm not a gunsmith/machinist but I would consider myself a capable armorer with plenty of tools.

I don't see an option to add the installation to the web order anyway, so maybe I'll give them a call this week.  I'm not spending any time using this gun yet, but I want it ready for practice as soon as the next two majors are done, because it will be a good choice for the following one.

You can install yourself you just have to get a drill bit from HBi or go through several other bits.

If you go through CZ Custom get the install with the trigger job.

It turns the scorpion trigger into a single stage with ZERO creep or staging and the reset is very very short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 3 of the carbines in our group, 1st.  change the trigger springs, 2nd. AK style right side safety is nice, 3rd. red trigger looks pretty...TF mag. extensions work fine,  The CZC mag. extension have been troublesome. Ours are early guns and have a good amount of use in competition.... If you go the AR way, get a lower that is made to take Glock mags. ( I have 2 and they sit in the safe)

three things kept me from running my scorpion as a pcc game gun.

-lack of tunability for parts. bolt, springs, etc. it is almost impossible to do anything to time/tune the feel and cyclic rate of the gun with internals. (yes you can do a ton of exterior things, but not internally to the degree you can with a 9mm ar)

-issues with mag extensions for an advantageous capacity. i was an early adopter and this seems to have fixed itself now.

-fore grip. no one makes a fore grip for the gun that worked for how i like to hold the gun and what my hand is capable of.

there were many many things i think the scorpion does awesome, but the first and third items are what stopped me.

Do you think that the aftermarket will start producing springs etc to tune the Scorpion or is it more of a design thing?

As far as the grip, it really fits me!

Every AR variants I have picked up so far is going to need a different float tube for my liking. Not handled the JP yet.

SO I have one of these.......I did the trigger spring thing and a flat trigger and it changed from totally horrible to bad, but for PCC..useable.

I also put my TACCOM brake on it as well as the funnel and mag couplers....the funnel, while not pretty is like a friggen magazine magnet!! and if you don't have a funnel on your PCC rifle you are slow.....period.

I have a new charge handle coming in this week sometime as the factory one is bascially a knuckle scraper (you're too close to the cheese grater rail).

I've used the paddle mag release and glad I did......I'll be keeping the factory mag release as it's easier to reach with my trigger finger (shorter distance)

The grip is fine, the HG is fine, but I am getting what is call a thumb stop, it actually fits in the webs between your thumb and fore finger and is pretty small, so that I have a consistent grab on the front end.

Shooting factory 124's out of it.......I'll use it in competition, don't think it's faster than my AR 's in 9mm.......but it is very accurate.

As for the looks.......It kinda makes me want to paint it white and wear a storm trooper uniform as it has that 'look'

Edited by TRUBL
13 hours ago, gixxerjunky said:

...If you go through CZ Custom get the install with the trigger job.

It turns the scorpion trigger into a single stage with ZERO creep or staging and the reset is very very short...

Will do.  That's what I want!

If you haven't bought it yet CZ Custom will sell the complete gun to you with the upgraded trigger installed for $1300, IIRC.  That makes the trigger upgrade pretty expensive indeed, but you get an impeccable installation job.  I've shot the CZ Custom carbine w/trigger installed, and it's every bit as nice as the Geiselle I'm running in my X95, or the JP Fire Control in my JP.  Really makes the gun usable for quick, controlled double-taps.

Aftermarket support will be an issue if it doesn't shoot how you like.  Unlike an AR, it is what it is.  Build quality for the price is pretty outstanding, IMHO, though.

Yeah, got the gun already from my local shop that I support a lot, and am treated very well at: Wild West Guns in Las Vegas.  So I'm currently waiting to hear back from CZ Custom.  It seems they are too busy to answer the phone (something I completely understand), and the answering machine says to send an email if you can't get through; so I did.

don't wait for them, just buy the HBI trigger springs and parts, their flat theta trigger, and the replacement screw, you can drill out the weld pretty easily with a quality drill bit. the install is simple, makes a big difference, it's not going to be hiperfire nice but it's not $200 either. of course, if hiperfire were to come out with a scorpion trigger I know a someone who would rush out and buy it.

absolutely love mine.    I started with a AR9 glock platform which I liked but shot my buddies CZ and decided to go with it.   Like many above have stated upgrades are needed on the trigger other upgrades just depend on your preference.   HB industries trigger spring kit and delta trigger is a good feeling trigger for $45 total.   Also, taylor freelance has a +10 mag extension so no issues there.   Also changed the mag release to the HB industries duck bill.   Changed the grip to Apex.  Mag pouches from westachholsters.   Been running 147 xtreme bullets with 3.1 titegroup and have had zero issues.  Check out videos and pics from PCC on instagram mktt89, and if anyone is interested in buying my AR9 glock PSA let me know.

Ok, a scorpion followed me home yesterday...Now what?

Triggers? Springs are a must. Do the aftermarket triggers actually do anything other than look cool and maybe change the feel so to speak. I have no issues with the feel of the factory curved trigger. On HB industries websight it says their trigger can add 1 mm of creep?

So, just springs or maybe a Shooters Connection straight Trigger?

Yes the triggers springs and trigger itself make a huge difference in pull weight.   I did not get the straight trigger from HB, I got the curved.   just really a preference on straight or curved.   I highly recommend the HB trigger and springs.    Also, go to youtube about changing the trigger because must screws to trigger assembly are tack welded and you have to drill that off.   easy to do, follow utube instructions.

Haven't heard back, so I sent a follow up to CZ Custom.  You guys think it's possible to have them install their trigger and have the gun back to me within 3 weeks?  If not, I'll order the HB trigger and springs.  I've already ordered the HB AK-style safety and Delta charging handle.

This will be my primary gun for Hard as Hell 2-gun at the end of the month.