Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta .40 profile change?

levellinebrad

I just started shooting the precision Delta 180gr bullets. I started wit 1000 last month and I liked them well enough that I bought another 2k a couple of weeks ago. I was originally loading to a 168PF but loaded a few with an added .1 gr of powder. They seemed to be more accurate so I finally chrono'd them. The 1st 3 were running around 960fps but the last 5 were only running around  935fps. I thought that it was my cheap ass chrono on the fritz, even though it has always been the same as every match chrono they have been run across.

So, I come home today to load up for SC sectional and I am loading with the new batch of Precision Deltas and I notice that my OAL has gone from 1.165 to 1.180. I had loaded some of these for the Spartanburg match too but they were mostly from the older batch. I think that is why I had different velocities. After I noticed that the new batch was longer, I was looking closer at them and realized that they were not the same profile. The new batch is more narrow at the tip and has a longer profile. I'll post some pics when I have a minute. I thought it was kind of weird. Anybody know if they are using a newer mold or something? Thanks

2017-03-27 18.55.16.jpg

2017-03-27 18.54.26.jpg

2017-03-27 18.54.05.jpg

2017-03-27 18.53.35.jpg

Edited by levellinebrad
Add pics

Hey guys, 

PD has in fact re-developed the .40 JHPs, although, they are not shipping yet.  The "old" style (bullet on the right) is what you should have received.  This was a packaging error. 

However, I think you will really like the new style once you transition.  I have been shooting them for several months, and love them.  If I'm splitting hairs, they are even a little more accurate than the old design. 

Among other things, they are now the same ogive as our 180 fmjs, and depending on seating die, no press adjustment (other than powder) is needed when switching between fmj jhp.

Sorry for the mix up, give the office a call and they will get you fixed up with the old style if you'd like. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2017 at 2:31 PM, Ssanders224 said:

Hey guys, 

PD has in fact re-developed the .40 JHPs, although, they are not shipping yet.  The "old" style (bullet on the right) is what you should have received.  This was a packaging error. 

However, I think you will really like the new style once you transition.  I have been shooting them for several months, and love them.  If I'm splitting hairs, they are even a little more accurate than the old design. 

Among other things, they are now the same ogive as our 180 fmjs, and depending on seating die, no press adjustment (other than powder) is needed when switching between fmj jhp.

Sorry for the mix up, give the office a call and they will get you fixed up with the old style if you'd like. 

Steven so the longer profile is the old style and the shorter of the 2 is the new style.