Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint Pro Dot Failures

cj36d

Had an interesting experience at nationals this weekend.  My new deltapoint pro (with about 2000 rounds through gun) shut off on me on a couple of stages and would not recover, no matter how much button pushing.  Once the stage was finished (shooting it "point of aim") I discovered that opening and closing the battery cover would restore the function of the dot temporarily until after a few more shots, then it would disappear again.  Best part...this happened on the all headbox target stage.

After a little bit of troubleshooting I confirmed that the two curved metal contacts in the battery compartment were deformed slightly resulting in an inconsistent contact with the positive battery casing.  Some minor bending and voila...problem solved.  I shot all of day two with 0 issues, and have not seen it recur.

Anyone else have a similar experience?  Any better/more permanent fixes?  Not excited about the idea of the contacts loosening in the future...or having that in the back of my mind.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the bent contacts occur on their own from recoil...or can you trace it back to some battery change you performed?  I'm sure hoping to learn from your experience.  Any chance you bent those contacts with a careless battery install?

• 2 weeks later...

No I don't believe that the recoil had anything to do with distorting the contacts.  I would certainly believe that some slight misalignment when losing the battery likely bent th contacts slightly, subsequently the recoil caused movement of the battery causing it to move out of direct contact with the terminals.

The metal on the terminals is most definitely easy to fatigue and this has recurred at least once since Nationals during a pratice session.  Bent the contacts a little more and no additional issues.

This is bad news for me. I just bought a dpp b/c of all the problems the rts2 had. Hope I made a good decision. When i was   Messing with the dpp I noticed those flimsy pieces. Isn't the battery compartment top magnetic?  I hope that will keep it from misaligning the battery. 

All of these micro dots have issues it seems. Especially on major guns. The root issue with "micro" is too much is packed into a small package resulting in more sensitive smaller parts. I've just given up using them on anything shooting major as they don't hold up. I hoped the DPP was gonna be the exception as they "improved on the regular dp design". The regular dp was a POS in my opinion as I couldn't get one to last through a season on a slide ride . I saw the mention about RTS2 problems. It was a common problem a few years back due to the battery contacts. C-more addressed that and will install upgraded contacts free. I still have one with the upgrade and it's been fine for a few years on a slide ride minor gun.

Thanks for the info on this! Though it make me paranoid to use the nib Delta Point Pro I got for any future builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Fowlmouths said:

So let me understand this, 1 person has had an issue with the DPP?

Everyone take a deep breath, it will be alright!  You made the right decision getting the DPP.

This. Sample size of 1 is irrelevant. Read up on the RTS 2 and you'll find a lot more issues. 

The DPP seems pretty reliable

The RTS2 with Ver.4 upgrade seems pretty reliable

They will all fail on an open major gun sooner or later.

Yes even the old C-More SL or SR.

Make sure you have a spare of whatever brand you like.

I'm still running my original RTS (before the RTS2) on my 9Major Open gun with zero problems, 6 years now, multi thousands of rounds.....I did purchase a DPP pro as a backup and another for a Carry Optics build I am doing as I felt they were by far the best overall of the mini dots

race1911

You and I must have got our RTS's from the same batch. My RTS on my Open G17 has close to the same number of rounds through it. Hasn't missed a beat.

Maybe luck of the draw ??? I have an "old" STS that I keep for a back-up- same-same luck.

If I ever buy a new RTS or STS, I may not be so lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...so sounds like no one else has seen this.  Called Leupold warranty and discussed the issue further.  Ended up sending my dot in for service.  The tech though it was possible that since I have no blast shield on my mount, the silicone goo that seals the bottom plate enclosing the electronics, may have separated, and allowed some exhaust gases in causing erratic behavior, or impacting one of the sub components on the board adversely.  After removing it for shipment, and closely inspecting the seal...seems pretty flimsy.  Design would not have made it past my folks if we were building it, but who knows.  Fortunately, friendly warranty service, they said send it in and in 4 weeks they will wither repair or replace.

30 minutes ago, johnbu said:

4 weeks ?

Bites a chunk out of the shooting season!  

Good luck with the repair.

Fortunately I have one on my CO rig, so I swapped it out for now until it comes back.

• 4 months later...

Mine does this near the end of matches, first at Area 5 and now yesterday at the WI Sectional Championships.  I'm noticing that by the end of matches (USPSA Carry Optics Division), the dot won't come on.  As you know, normally you just have to pick up the gun and/or give it a shake, and the dot is there.  At Area 5, I just replaced the battery thinking it was time. Then yesterday it did at the start of each of my last three stages, with a new battery.  

I end up having to press (and even hold down) the power button several times, and then go through the cycle to get to the brightness setting I want - like it was reset.  This morning... it was back to normal.  The unit is only about 4-5 months old.  

My backup 7.5 moa failed sometime after I put it away for storage and when I remounted it just before Area 8. Having problems with my gun and wanted to remove the optic as a possible culprit. Reticle was so distorted it was unusable. No idea what could have happened since it spent the last 6 months in the original packaging in my air conditioned basement.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Fowlmouths said:

So let me understand this, 1 person has had an issue with the DPP?

Everyone take a deep breath, it will be alright!  You made the right decision getting the DPP.

yes I agree. 

I have approximately 5000 rounds thru my open gun with my DPP and not 1 issue. The DPP on my backup gun has maybe 300 rounds on it with no problems. I'll probably be putting another one on my Walther Q5 for a CO gun. I love my DPPs

Edited by Bdh821

• 3 weeks later...

IMO the deltapoint pro is the best micro red dot on the market at the moment.  Large FOV, no tint, and the 2.5moa is very bright and easy to use.  Used for around 4000 rounds.

However, mine will be going back to Leupold.  It shut off on me today with 2 stages to go.  Tried 4 different batteries with no success.  Not sure what the problem is.  I will probably pick up another.

Edited by jliew08

Mine turned off on me twice the other night during dry fire. I pushed the power button both times and it came back on. It has maybe 2k on it. I’m starting to second guess not going with an rts2. I just bought another one for s backup gun too. IMO the battery contacts on the bottom of the tray are a weak point. I thought about using dielectric grease but leupold advised me not to. 

6 hours ago, magpulled said:

Mine turned off on me twice the other night during dry fire. I pushed the power button both times and it came back on. It has maybe 2k on it. I’m starting to second guess not going with an rts2. I just bought another one for s backup gun too. IMO the battery contacts on the bottom of the tray are a weak point. I thought about using dielectric grease but leupold advised me not to. 

Don't second guess yourself on the RTS2. Reading threads on this forum tells me there is no perfect sight as they can all have issues.

My DP Pro has been perfect for a year now and I think I changed the battery once just because. My 6 month old RTS2 seems to flake out every month or so needing a new battery. It will either shut down while shooting or the dot does some crazy stuff like flashing that resembles static.

2 hours ago, mscott said:

Don't second guess yourself on the RTS2. Reading threads on this forum tells me there is no perfect sight as they can all have issues.

My DP Pro has been perfect for a year now and I think I changed the battery once just because. My 6 month old RTS2 seems to flake out every month or so needing a new battery. It will either shut down while shooting or the dot does some crazy stuff like flashing that resembles static.

That's not "crazy stuff" - the strobing effect is the sign that it's time to change the battery.  Better yet, check the voltage and replace it before that happens.

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

That's not "crazy stuff" - the strobing effect is the sign that it's time to change the battery.  Better yet, check the voltage and replace it before that happens.

+1 for RTS2s.  At 2.8V the battery is shot.  At 2.7 you get the strobing, but if you are holstered you won't see it and the dot goes dark.  I buy new batteries 20 at a time.  I voltage check every one.  It is surprising how often you get 'new' batteries that have low voltage.  Most new 2032 batteries have a voltage of 3.20+V.  After one five hour match, mine are down under 3.0.  It is possible that I could get another match out of the battery, but I don't risk it.  At 50 cents each, I just put a new one in before each match.