Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squading with better shooters

B_RAD

I like squadding with people who are good at taping, resetting and being on time. Seriously, major or local my favorite squads have been ones where everyone works and smiles. I'm gonna be spending 9 hours with you, so attitude is important.

I prefer not to be squadded with direct competition. It's too easy to get caught up in what someone else is doing.

I also like to not be the best person on the squad, someone better than me in any division is good. Again, it's too easy to get distracted or complacent when you're the best person on the squad. Answering all the questions, getting all the ohhs and ahhhs.

Finally, if you are squadded with a big name remember when you're pumping them for information many of them teach classes. Respect that what they have to offer is of monetary value.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 

Having a good time is key. If I'm on a squad that isn't squared away the weekend isn't as enjoyable. Let the GM sell their classes. Run your game. I've shot wildly different stage plans while shooting 3 gun from everyone else and they worked out great for me. That doesn't always happen, but I felt better about my plan that theirs.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I like squadding with people who are good at taping, resetting and being on time. Seriously, major or local my favorite squads have been ones where everyone works and smiles. I'm gonna be spending 9 hours with you, so attitude is important.

I prefer not to be squadded with direct competition. It's too easy to get caught up in what someone else is doing.

I also like to not be the best person on the squad, someone better than me in any division is good. Again, it's too easy to get distracted or complacent when you're the best person on the squad. Answering all the questions, getting all the ohhs and ahhhs.

Finally, if you are squadded with a big name remember when you're pumping them for information many of them teach classes. Respect that what they have to offer is of monetary value.

I'd bet the big names get bombarded with questions. Maybe that's why they try to squad them all together, as best they can, at majors. 

On 3/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, MAC702 said:

When I don't have any other preference for squad, I always look for higher-classed shooters in my same division.  Seeing how a Master-class Limited guy does it isn't going to help me in Single Stack.

I get a lot of benefit out of the mindset and general stage plans of open and limited shooters even tho I shoot singlestack. One of my best matches was when I was squadded with several national-class open guys.

Squadding with c or d shooters that don't know what's going on can be scary. Granted I'm only a c level shooter currently, but I've been cleaning up at most matches in my class by a good bit. I ROd for a D squad the other month and about had a conniption with some of the shenanigans I saw that you would never see with the super squads. I try to squad with better shooters to pick up on techniques or ways they shoot stages

A couple of buddies and I went to A1 and shot with some guys a used to shoot with from another state. They're really nice dudes but I think we'll try to squad with some better shooters next time to try and get an extra push/pressure to keep up. I felt too relaxed the whole time and in turn, shot slow and relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
On 3/27/2017 at 6:15 PM, Trent1k1 said:

I think at lower classes like C or D, jumping in with a bunch GMs is not productive.  The nervousness of missing a damn popper 5 times while much better shooters are watching really sucks.

When I was a C, I got to shoot with Max and Blake Miguel.  They were totally cool to shoot with, but the extra 20 people watching our squad all day added to the pressure.

However a D or C squadded with a high B or A class shooter is great.

Just don't be tempted to try to replicate a 25 yard target on the move like the upper guys can and do.  Know what will work for you.

I'm always happy to share my plans, and will throw the caveat that my plan my not to be the best solution for them and am happy to assist them with a plan.

+1,  I started out squadding with Trent before I knew any better, now I do so I can pick his brain about the stage, he still almost always beats me but that gives me something to work for. lol 

If you squad with better shooters you MUST shoot your game . If they are in your division do not get caught up with keeping pace with them. Even if you didn’t ask them questions , watching them on how they shoot one can pick up different things. Most of them are very nice and some are not so friendly . That’s no different than any other situation though . I think it’s very beneficial as long as your respectful of their space etc.

3 hours ago, Scootertheshooter said:

If you squad with better shooters you MUST shoot your game . If they are in your division do not get caught up with keeping pace with them.

Great comment.  I've found that as an "up and comer" learning the game, I gained MASSIVE amounts of knowledge and improvement by shooting with guys like @Fullauto_Shooter month after month.  I learned about techniques and aspects of the game I didn't even know I should be paying attention to.  

But at some point of plateauing on that knowledge journey, where I began to actually contend for match wins/began to expect to win matches, the mental part of not letting another shooter's performance get in my head, has gotten quite difficult.  It's an area of my game I need to improve on even to this day.  The best match I've ever shot, was one where I was the highest classification of the group...but then again, my perception of "best match" may very well be because I wasn't watching another shooter of equal skill shoot the same stage better than me...  

On 3/27/2017 at 4:31 PM, MAC702 said:

When I don't have any other preference for squad, I always look for higher-classed shooters in my same division.  Seeing how a Master-class Limited guy does it isn't going to help me in Single Stack.

I agree with this but also for me when I have not been shooting a lot in a particular year,  I go with a more laid back group or production.  I do not mind squading with a parent and child, some people will avoid that. 

I generally end up squading with people much better than me and it is helpful seeing how they run through stages and engage some targets from more advantageous spots. It is so easy to try to push to keep up a pace of M/GM and blow the stage though. 

For serious competitors, meaning people who really want to get better and are willing to put in the work to get there, its very important to shoot with competitors that are better than you. Half of the battle of getting better is knowing that there is in fact another level of performance to achieve. Seeing that next level of performance deployed first hand by your competition is very important as it enforces the reality that things can in fact be done at the next level. Having that "carrot" to chase is a good thing for most shooters who are hungry to get better.

I am not the best shooter in the world, but I can usually hold my own against stiff competition. I have shot on the "Super Squads" at majors and also jumped on random squads not knowing anyone I am shooting with. I get a lot of shooters asking me all kinds of questions while at matches and I do my best to make time to answer all of their questions the best I can. I will tell anyone straight up what my stage plan is or help them with their stage plan even if they are my direct competition. The way I see it, there is rarely a "Secret" stage plan that nobody else is seeing already and in the end it really comes down to how well you execute your stage plan verses how good your plan is. Maybe I am strange, but I want the opportunity to compete against my competition while they are performing their best. If I know they are giving it their all then if I can manage to beat them then it makes the win all that much more rewarding.

The one thing that I find strange is that some times people that don't know me act like I am some how more important than they are. I don't want to be treated any different than anyone else on the squad. I paid my entry fee just like you and bust my hump to help reset the stages as we shoot them. We are all there to have a fun, safe and rewarding time on the range with friends. I am there to shoot the match just like everyone else.  

As a relatively new shooter ( 2+ years) still trying to work out of Production D, every squad I choose has better shooters than me. However, since I frequent the same monthly matches, I've gotten to know which of the M's and A's that I'd rather hang with. I avoid the squads of hyper-competive gamers who consider newbs a hindrance and waste of time. On the other end of the spectrum are the want-to -be coaches who come over and offer suggestions after every COF. The guys I like to run with are generous with their time when I have a question but know when to leave me alone if I'm just trying to figure things out. Of course, the number one rule of our game is to have fun, so squadding with those who can shoot the breeze as well as their guns is top priority.

Well, I was able to shoot with a squad this weekend that had some talent on it. 

I learned a ton from watching these folks shoot and talking with them.  

I took 6th overall in production (3rd M) .  Wish I would have done several things better but like I said I learned a lot! 

So, I will make every attempt to squad with the best shooters at each match I attend from this point on! 

Edited by B_RAD

• 1 month later...

I agree with most of what has been said here.

to me a lot of it depends on your goals. If shooting is purely a social thing then squadding with people you enjoy, can give crap to etc. is probably the most important component.

For me I like the competition and have want to get much, much better. So I’ll always lean towards shooting in the most competitive group I can. Unlike what some others have said though I kind of don’t care if we’re shooting different divisions. I intend to focus on single stack this next year and any time I’m able to “hang” with a production top shooter or limited top shooter I suspect I’ll get better. 

For me there are several dynamics to the game that need work. Executing the core fundamentals of shooting is on me. That comes from dry fire and practice but I’ll be able to see and learn from top guys “what could be” so that’ll be helpful. Stage dissection then becomes important and learning from them there will be of benefit. Even if I have to reload in a different spot than someone else there are still nuggets to be learned. The additional dynamic that has been mentioned is to also learn to shoot within yourself no matter who is there. IMO you don’t want your first time to be shooting with a highly skilled shooter to be the time you decide to sign up for your first Area match of the year. Seeing people shoot and wanting to excel to their level can play tricks with the mind. Best to have that art mastered before the beep goes off at a bigger match.

J

I shoot CO and as a first year shooter in Bclass I try to shoot with A'S and M's if possible. I learn more from them than the GM'S. Maybe because they are trying to improve like I am and seem more willing to discuss strategies etc.

Not many GMs in my matches anyway and they are usually squadded before I get to sign up. 

I shoot wih my friends, we are usually the best squad at the match. I am lucky to live in a great area with the best club matches in the nation, great level 2s and 3s, and a group of really good shooters that push one another.

Shooting with good shooters doesn’t hurt, but sometimes you need to work on personal shit and leave the usual suspects behind. It depends on you. 

I don't care I just get on a squad and go. I shot mostly PCC this season, but looking forward to going back to limited. I did shoot 2 majors this year where I did not know anyone the squads. It was relaxing doing that.

Every time I've been on a squad with better shooters I've learned something, regardless of the division they were shooting.  The last three matches I intentionally squaded with better Open shooters and learned a lot.

• 5 weeks later...

I like to squad with at least a few shooter is the same class and division as I'm shooting to see if I'm shooting with in my class. I also like to have some in the squad above my level for schooling me, it's nice to watch some one better to see what I missed in stage planning. Most important for me is a squad  the helps out to make the match go smooth, makes for a long day if only a few help keep the set up and scoring going.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only shot a few USPSA matches so far and usually jump in with buddies. We don’t fill a squad so the others in the group are by chance. I noticed last match that having a “rabbit” to chase was helpful and informative. Definitely something I’ll start factoring in when selecting a squad going forward.