Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squading with better shooters

B_RAD

You guys like to squad with better shooters? Some do. Some don't. 

So, your signing up for a LV2 match and it'll be you and one or two of your buddies from your club. Would you try to get on a squad with better shooters? Or ones ranked higher if you don't know them?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I don't have any other preference for squad, I always look for higher-classed shooters in my same division.  Seeing how a Master-class Limited guy does it isn't going to help me in Single Stack.

31 minutes ago, MAC702 said:

When I don't have any other preference for squad, I always look for higher-classed shooters in my same division.  Seeing how a Master-class Limited guy does it isn't going to help me in Single Stack.

What he said.

I think at lower classes like C or D, jumping in with a bunch GMs is not productive.  The nervousness of missing a damn popper 5 times while much better shooters are watching really sucks.

When I was a C, I got to shoot with Max and Blake Miguel.  They were totally cool to shoot with, but the extra 20 people watching our squad all day added to the pressure.

However a D or C squadded with a high B or A class shooter is great.

Just don't be tempted to try to replicate a 25 yard target on the move like the upper guys can and do.  Know what will work for you.

I'm always happy to share my plans, and will throw the caveat that my plan my not to be the best solution for them and am happy to assist them with a plan.

Normally I simply pick a squad and shoot with those that are in it with me. I shoot Revolver Division primarily, and there are few revolver shooters (less than 4 normally). I have gotten used to "tuning out" what the semi-auto shooters are saying and doing, because it has little bearing on what I need to do. I enjoy shooting with a variety of other competitors, and that has more bearing on my squad choice than anything else.

I shoot CO, and in my area for whatever reason, we've got a bunch of C-classers and then all the people testing out CO, who are U.  Some of them are M open shooters, A Production, whatever.  It is hard to follow this pattern of squadding with better shooters.  I used to look for good Production shooters because of the same mag limits.  I'm a little flummoxed now with full mags in CO.  I'm now wondering who to look at: open shooters? Limited?

Personally, I think the best shooters to shoot with are the ones who are one step better than you.  Enough better to be able to actually reach, and just far enough ahead that they feel YOUR heat.  That makes you better, and makes them better!

10 minutes ago, CHLChris said:

... I'm a little flummoxed now with full mags in CO.  I'm now wondering who to look at: open shooters? Limited?...

I still think from a SS perspective, so magazine capacity seems the most critical issue.  I'm still on my own developing how fast and accurately I shoot, but planning a course of fire for 8-round mags is where the skill is, and that's where I want to see the most ideas from better shooters.  Of course, most in my division are shooting Minor now, putting them in the same plan as Production anyway.

With Open shooters usually starting with their 170mm magazines, you'll probably want to see where a Limited shooter does his reload.  Then again, with them also usually only needing one reload in a field course, planning it usually isn't that hard.  I leave a yard sale of Wilson ETM's in my wake.

1 hour ago, CHLChris said:

I'm a little flummoxed now with full mags in CO.  I'm now wondering who to look at: open shooters? Limited?

Yes. 

You have the mag capacity that matches Limited's, and the ability to take longer shots on partial targets due to the dot like the Open guys do.

So learn from both.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

19 hours ago, MAC702 said:

I think this is spot on. Shooting SS and jumping on with people who are at your level or higher will bring your shooting up a notch. Now sometimes you will see a GM attack a stage entirely different than a C/B class guy and thats ok, but for the most part you can watch what they do and it'll help you out. If you squad with others you are directly competing against it gives you a feel of how your going to turn out (or at least it does for me)

13 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Now sometimes you will see a GM attack a stage entirely different than a C/B class guy and thats ok, but for the most part you can watch what they do and it'll help you out

The big thing that also helps is to ask the GM (after he has shot and doesn't need to focus) why he did things the way he did. 

And follow that up with "how would you suggest a B class shoot it?"

The upper level guys get really good at playing to their strengths. A guy who is supremely accurate might hang back and shoot something from the back. The next M or GM who is really good at shooting on the move and hosing at warp speed might divide the same stage up entirely differently.

What is interesting about that is how frequently their scores will nearly match.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Squadding with higher level shooters is almost like getting double for your money.  You get to shoot a match while also getting to watch someone better than you do what you just did or do what your about to do.  Ask them if its ok for you to film them.  Compare it to your video later and really watch the little differences.  Like others have said, understand your current skill level and adapt their stage plan to your abilities.  

Within reason, most people will rise to the level of their competition. If you are serious about competing (nothing wrong with just having a good time), I think you need to squad with people that are better than yourself.  More importantly than skill alone, you are exposing yourself to people with winning mindsets and the ability to execute.

Honestly I like random squads the most. 

I've been in big boy GM and M squads, but now I enjoy just shooting with my dad, and 2 of my bestfriends and just random people who want to hop on. You meet a lot of new people and its nice to meet random people from around the country.

Wyatt

I always like shooting with better shooters, friends or just names I know to be good. Get to know them, chat about stage plans, pick their brain a little during pasting, etc. You'll learn a ton.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:13 PM, CrashDodson said:

Squadding with higher level shooters is almost like getting double for your money.  You get to shoot a match while also getting to watch someone better than you do what you just did or do what your about to do.  

This^ 
I feel you can spend less money and get better advice then taking some classes. 

Supersquad at nationals for me is a good thing, for others not always. I do like do squad with buddies, luckily 1 of them is also a very high level. 

Pretty much all of the really good shooters are awesome guys, one even took time of his walkthrough time, to say hello as I passed him on a stage at EHC2016, then went on to win the entire match ;) gotto love it. 

I always try and squad with suckier shooters. I have mental issues and don't function around a bunch of good shooters who I don't know good.   I shoot better and have less anxiety with a bunch of C class shooters. 

I know, I know.. 

11 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

I always try and squad with suckier shooters. I have mental issues and don't function around a bunch of good shooters who I don't know good.   I shoot better and have less anxiety with a bunch of C class shooters...

That has quite a bit of merit.  What few tricks I might get from their runs might be overshadowed by the mistakes I might make trying to do it their way, or the practice time lost even thinking about doing it their way.