Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Options to shim a 550B toolhead?

I'm not new to Dillon.  Used to have a SDB.  Now have an XL650 bought new 5 years ago, and an s1050 purchased new a year ago.

I purchased a used 550B recently (my first 550).  The machine is in great shape even though it is probably an older model (does not have grease fittings).  The toolhead has a bit more play than I like and am asking for good/simple ideas to shim the toolhead.  I'm not trying to eliminate all play so I don't want to bolt it into the frame.

TIA

Uniquetek makes a tool head that screws down with Allen screws.  Does not modify the frame, but you would need a tool head for every caliber.  You can also drill and tap the tool head next to the pin and screw a bolt down until it hits the head.

Yeah I think you're right.  Drilling and tapping for small set screws (3mm) like you mentioned might be the most simple, effective, and inexpensive option since I have tons of tools.  I can set the screws to reduce the play while still allowing the toolhead to move a bit sideways, or tighten them down to eliminate any movement.

Thanks!

If you make the final tightening on all the dies lock rings with a fully loaded Shelplate and the handle all the way down that removes all the play between the Toolhead and the frame and the die's threads. No need to shim.

48 minutes ago, benos said:

If you make the final tightening on all the dies lock rings with a fully loaded Shelplate and the handle all the way down that removes all the play between the Toolhead and the frame and the die's threads. No need to shim.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.  Will try.  Thanks!

This used 550B I bought is in beautiful shape with very little wear, but is the older type without the grease fittings.  Someone at Dillon told me the older machines had more toolhead play than the new ones, because of older machining technologies.  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  This machine wasn't made in 1900.  Do the newer 550Bs toolheads fit tighter?

No change has been made to the toolhead- frame fit. .004"-.005" is the standard. Toolheads produced currently have to fit an RL550 made in 1985. Do as Brian suggested about tightening die lock rings with cases/cartridges in all the stations, and the handle pulled down. This allows the dies and toolhead to be centered.

While I have you guy's attention.....

I'm going to need 2 or 3 extra toolheads for my 550B.  There are billet toolheads on ebay for about the price of Dillon's or slightly less.  Are there any good reasons not to buy them?  I love Dillon, but I'm not a fanatic who needs to only buy Dillon.

Edited by reloader901

11 hours ago, reloader901 said:

While I have you guy's attention.....

I'm going to need 2 or 3 extra toolheads for my 550B.  There are billet toolheads on ebay for about the price of Dillon's or slightly less.  Are there any good reasons not to buy them?  I love Dillon, but I'm not a fanatic who needs to only buy Dillon.

Unless there is some significant advantage I like sticking with OEM gear for the simple fact that it makes troubleshooting/tech support situations simpler.

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM, benos said:

+1, My thought is that you may want a little play?