Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX follower question

Benevolence

Hi all,

I'm building a 2011 based on a CK frame, STI grip, Fusion firearms slide and Kart barrel. So far it's been a lot of fun and quite the learning experience; this is my first 1911 style gun. I just put in the followers and they seem to be tilting to the side, pointing upwards too much(?), and catching on the slide when in the gun and pushing forward. MBX Extreme tubes, springs, and G25 followers; all non-slide stop.

I was planning to do the things mentioned in these two videos; is this an okay plan? Mostly just dremeling the follower and bending the springs (though it doesn't seem to do all that much, the little that I've tried on the 3rd mag).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EclEpJc-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLC8KEqY9Nc

From looking around, mag tuning seems to be something inherent with the 2011's. I'm mostly concerned with how the follower seems to be sitting pretty high up and forward in the mag; not sure how to correct for this.

Thanks for any advice.

followers.JPG

mag in.JPG

Edited by Benevolence

Yes, the videos you linked from Adam/Atlas Gunworks are great guides to follow.  Follow his guidance with high confidence!  He builds great running pistols and knows what he is talking about.

I'm not sure what you're worried about. The pistol is not designed to work with empty mags. If there is a problem when the mags are loaded then some tuning is in order. I use MBX mags exclusively and have not had to do any tuning.

18 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

I'm not sure what you're worried about. The pistol is not designed to work with empty mags. If there is a problem when the mags are loaded then some tuning is in order. I use MBX mags exclusively and have not had to do any tuning.

I'm concerned about the slide wearing the follower prematurely; there's moderate marks on the followers from just a handful of cycles. I'd rather not have the slide digging into the follower every time, I may put the tiniest radius on the bottom of the slide. The follower getting dragged forward after the last round may cause issues with dropping the mag as well.

@itzjere, thanks for the recommendation. I'll start with small changes and work slowly.

4 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

I guess that might be a problem if you shoot the gun dry, I plan for never doing that in a stage, if I run it dry my stage plan is really screwed up.

Perhaps I'm wrong and just unnecessarily worrying/complaining. I'll try it as is and see how it goes. I am quite new to this sport shooting thing.

The only time the follower would be i contact would be if you hit the slide release with any empty mag in the gun. Shouldn't ever be an issue, try them loaded up and see how they work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't speak for the G-25s, but I know MBX recommended loading the mag full with the G-15s to avoid contact.  Something about it helps seat the spring.  I know my followers did sit a little lower after fully loaded the mag a couple of times.

FWIW with the MBX mag (G-15 and no tuning), I have never had a failure to feed even when using factory (short OAL).  I have a spare MBX G-25, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by B585

18 hours ago, Benevolence said:

Perhaps I'm wrong and just unnecessarily worrying/complaining. I'll try it as is and see how it goes. I am quite new to this sport shooting thing.

I depends on which discipline you are going to shoot. IDPA is based around shooting to empty and then reloading, in which case you would want slide lock followers. (they penalize dropping mags with ammo in them). USPSA is a completely different story shooting to slide lock (or empty) wastes time so plan to reload at appropriate places in the stage (running between shooting positions) include this aspect in your stage plan.

18 hours ago, B585 said:

I can't speak for the G-25s, but I know MBX recommended loading the mag full with the G-15s to avoid contact.  Something about it helps seat the spring.  I know my followers did sit a little lower after fully loaded the mag a couple of times.

FWIW with the MBX mag (G-15 and no tuning), I have never had a failure to feed even when using factory (short OAL).  I have a spare MBX G-25, but I haven't tried it yet.

Something about loading the mags !!!!!

Load them up and let them sit for a while

Then look at them

Most times the springs will set and everything will look/be more to your liking