Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to step it up!

CE325

I have been shooting USPSA for a couple years on and off but now I'm looking to take it serious. 

I have shot a lot of local matches, 2 pro am matches, and 2 state championships. 

I'm a D class limited "minor" and a C class production. I'm going to concentrate on production class only now. I use to shoot a glock 17 but now it's retired!   I got a Tanfoglio stock 2 now.  At this point I haven't shot it yet. Just been doing a lot of dry fire practice with it trying to get used to the SA/DA trigger. 

My goals are,

Get to B class by June. 

Dry fire 5 times a week for at least 30 min

Work on agility training, getting in and out of shooting positions ASAP. 

I dont plan on doing any live fire training due to my local range sucks and I'm on a budget! Family first!  The only live fire training I will do will be local weekly matches usually once a month. 

Hopefully this will keep me motivated and stick to my training. 

Last night I worked on some movement drills in and out of position using  a BB gun. 

Its been a while since I did this so I got pretty tired!  The target was about 10-15 yards away using a USPSA target I brought home from a match. 

Privacy fences are a wonderful thing. 

I considered doing the same, I have a BB clone of my 1911.  I suspect I'd scare the heck out of the neighbors.

Keep us posted on the backyard drills, I'd like to know how well they work out for you.

Good luck!

Worked on dryfire today for about an hour.   Using Steve Andersons refinement and repetition book. 

I got my Burkett reloads down to .7 

6 reload 6 to 4.0

El Prez to 4.0 

6 reload strong at 5.0  pretty hard one. 

And bill reload drill 3.5 

Then I just made up small stages and 

Ran those. 

I'm getting more comfortable with the Tanfo 

and more important with the reloads now. I use to run bullets forward but now bullets out. I didn't think I would get use to it but I'm getting there. 

Worked on dryfire this morning. 

First time doing dry fire in the morning. 

Did ok held the same times as above. 

Working on my reloads mainly trying to keep the gun in a consistent spot for each reload. 

The safety is cutting my thumb pretty bad, going to do some smoothing to the grooves to try to help. 

Work harder at trying to present the magazine to a consistent spot rather than the gun.  For most, I think we have a tendency to make the gun go where the magazine is.  By reversing our thought process and worrying more about consistency with where we put the magazine, the gun hand more naturally follows.  

Left arm straight - snag the mag - back up to where it started.  It's a very repeatable/robotic motion.   The gun will just go to where that hand completes it's magazine presentation.   

For these drills, only bring the mag and the gun together and don't insert the mag all the way.  This "partial insertion drill" helps to reinforce the alignment and "looking the mag in." 

Keep up the good work!

Did some dry fire today. Made some target stands out of pvc so I can move and set my targets up wherever I want. Works great!

still working on reloads getting better more consistent. There is a classifier match coming up on 4/11 I'm going to try to make it to. So I'm working on gun handling, reloads, turn and draw, strong hand and weak hand. 

Hopefully get to B class. 

On 3/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, CE325 said:

Last night I worked on some movement drills in and out of position using  a BB gun. 

Its been a while since I did this so I got pretty tired!  The target was about 10-15 yards away using a USPSA target I brought home from a match. 

I'm jealous.  If I did that in my backyard I would probably get arrested hahaha.

Been slacking. Did some dry fire tonight. Worked on transitions and reloads. 

Going to a club match tomorrow night shooting the tanfo for the first time. 

Getting ready for the classifier match on the 11th. 

Well,  I shot the local club match tonight.  

My first time shooting the tanfo or any double action pistol.  It is very different than a glock for sure. During my dry fire practice I definitely got the double action first shot down.  But getting used to the S/A trigger pull will take some time. 

I placed 2nd out of 6 in C class production. 

My first stage I shot like I did with my glock. I just went crazy got some good shots but they all seemed to go left. So next stages I just took my time shooting watching the sights and got better hits than I did with my glock. I did not try to win just tried to get used to the gun. 

I just need to calm down when I shoot. I watch people go fast and I try to do the same and miss a lot. 

On the last stage I had a malfunction idk what happened I went to shoot the last target and the gun did it fire I couldn't rack the slide and the hammer was down. I dropped the mag and then racked the slide but did it shoot the last target. 

Idk what happened 

IMG_0618.PNG

Edited by CE325

Did some dry fire today. Set up mini stages and changed them after a couple runs to work on my stage planning.Worked on taking my time seeing the sights. My reloads are much better. 

Im starting to like the bullets out now.

After actually shooting the gun I know how the trigger works So now I'm dry firing differently. 

Instead of half cocked I pull the trigger fully in D/A then let off where the reset would be and 

continue from there. 

On 3/31/2017 at 4:56 PM, Edge40 said:

I'm jealous.  If I did that in my backyard I would probably get arrested hahaha.

I've got some good neighbors.  When the weather is nice I like to do a little airsoft practice in the backyard.  Before taking it outside for the first time, I went to each neighbor and told them what I was doing.  Asked if it would be OK with them.  Also advised them I did not plan on practicing if I could see they were entertaining folks in their backyard.  Told them if they ever, ever have a problem with it, let me know.

I'm probably already known as the crazy old fart in the neighborhood, but so far no complaints (and no calls to the local Sheriff).

Bill

20 hours ago, CE325 said:

After actually shooting the gun I know how the trigger works So now I'm dry firing differently. 

Instead of half cocked I pull the trigger fully in D/A then let off where the reset would be and continue from there. 

I found over time that mastering the DA/SA transition... pretty much means practicing SA 97% of the time. Aside from one-shot DA draws from the holster, all of my dryfire time is spent like this:

Once your long first pull is over, you spend the entire stage shooting like that. Make it your new "normal"

On 4/7/2017 at 7:44 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I found over time that mastering the DA/SA transition... pretty much means practicing SA 97% of the time. Aside from one-shot DA draws from the holster, all of my dryfire time is spent like this:

Once your long first pull is over, you spend the entire stage shooting like that. Make it your new "normal"

Tried this today.  Works great   

Did about 20 min of dryfire working on draws reloads and transitions. 

Do you feel your target transitions are as fast as with the 17?  I've been shooting USPSA for about a year and I just hit A class with my 17.  I've been thinking about picking up a Tanfo but I'm not sure if it'll benefit me more than just more practice time.  

I think they are a little faster. I do shoot better with the tanfo. My glock had factory sights so I can see way better with the tanfo. The recoil is way less than the glock mostly due to the weight so that helps my shooting, also I like the grip better. I wouldn't say the new gun is totally making me shoot better, I think it just motivated me more to practice and by practicing I'm getting better. 

1 hour ago, CE325 said:

I think they are a little faster. I do shoot better with the tanfo. My glock had factory sights so I can see way better with the tanfo. The recoil is way less than the glock mostly due to the weight so that helps my shooting, also I like the grip better. I wouldn't say the new gun is totally making me shoot better, I think it just motivated me more to practice and by practicing I'm getting better

I believe that's where I will benefit the most.  I'll probably pick one up this winter.  Enjoy yours! 

30 min dry fire today. 

Worked on 6 reload 6 and 2 reload 2 

along with Burkett reloads. 

Trying to be more consistent on reloads. 

My draw is getting much faster. 

Getting much more comfortable with the tanfo just need to get more range time. 

Trying to save some $ for a class with Shannon Smith within the next couple months. 

The past 2 days been working on reloads and transitions from 30 min to an hour a night. 

Going to sign up for the Proam in July so going to start focusing my training on that.  

Maybe setup some paper plate stages out back with the BB gun and work on movement and keeping the gun up high. And more draw and Reload practice in dryfire. 

On 4/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, TravisNC said:

I believe that's where I will benefit the most.  I'll probably pick one up this winter.  Enjoy yours! 

As an A-class, I can confidently say that switching from M&P to Tanfoglio required 2-3 months for me to return to my previous level of skill with an M&P. 

The gun won't make you better. If it motivates you to practice, that's what makes you better when you switch guns. Glock still win Nationals (Vogel, Limited) and Area matches over metal guns, your grip just has to be more developed due to the light weight.

@CE325 I just now watched the videos of your running from cone to cone. Two things: don't accept anything other than your preferred shooting stance. You're letting yourself settle for some goofy narrow-footed platforms in order to shoot ASAP. That won't work when you have a real gun and a wide arc of targets to engage.

Also, don't stand up in each position. Stay low at the height you ran into the position with. If there were three things I could go back in time and teach myself to avoid bad habits:

1. Crush the F$&@k out of the gun with the weak hand in dry fire. The place where you get lazy and learn a weak grip. Shooting fast means gripping hard enough to make someone you're shaking hands with very uncomfortable.

2. Get the gun in both hands extending out to the target two strides away from your entry. You should already have a sight picture when your last foot plants.

3. Stay low and wide in shooting positions. Uncomfortably low. Feel it in your legs. Always be super stable and instantly ready to move. Don't waste time dropping low to run, popping up to shoot.

Edited by MemphisMechanic