Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped my open gun

s2000red

As the title states, I dropped my open gun.  It was in a gun bag/rug, but it fell about four feet and landed upside down on the concrete floor.  Took it to the range and could not keep bullets on an IPSC target at 25 yards.  Shoot five and only have three on the target.  And they would be six inches apart.  Thinking it was just the cmore, I replaced it with one from another gun.  Took it back to the range today to see if that fixed it.

Nope.  But it did shoot better.  At 25 yards from a bag rest, all the bullets are the same height but will string out across the target about 6 to 8 inches left to right.  I don't see any comp strikes and none of the bullets are tumbling.  Before I send it off for repairs, do you guys know of anything else I can check? 

Thanks,

Jerry

Great ideas.  I think I may swap the mount from another gun.  That would allow me to rule out the mount; or not.

I did try three different loads (match, practice, and steel challenge) and they all shot the same.  So I think I can rule out the load.

What kind of clearance should I have between the comp and slide?  I am not sure its not touching (need to get feeler gauges from my Dad).

If the gun was in a bag and landed upside down I'm thinking the Cmore or mount etc is damaged, not the gun. The optic is the most fragile part of the gun and I feel everything else would be fine if bagged.

I suppose the grip could crack if it's plastic. all kinds of things happen when a grip is loose or cracked.

check the grip. especially the grip screws. also check the mount and mount screws as suggested. check the grip screws at the trigger guard area too.

check that the comp is still tight on the barrel and has not bent or moved. 

On March 26, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Sarge said:

If the gun was in a bag and landed upside down I'm thinking the Cmore or mount etc is damaged, not the gun. The optic is the most fragile part of the gun and I feel everything else would be fine if bagged.

I suppose the grip could crack if it's plastic. all kinds of things happen when a grip is loose or cracked.

Agree.  The issue is going to be with the scope.  I haven't taken a cmore apart but i have taken other red dots apart and realize that the laser on the inside is not permanently fixed to the outside.  This allows for the windage and elevation adjustment.  So even though it may look solid on the outside, the laser could be lose on the inside.

Nope. On a cmore slideride the laser diode does not move. The scope adjusts windage by putting pressure on the underside of the plastic 'hinge' that the glass sits in. So instead of moving the laser in relation to the glass it moves the glass in relation to the laser (and it's a pretty imprecise system of adjustment). 

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

Nope. On a cmore slideride the laser diode does not move. The scope adjusts windage by putting pressure on the underside of the plastic 'hinge' that the glass sits in. So instead of moving the laser in relation to the glass it moves the glass in relation to the laser (and it's a pretty imprecise system of adjustment). 

I wonder though.... If I recall the diode plugs in. Could it come partially unplugged if dropped squarely on top like OP mentioned?

Well, just to follow up.  After I changed the cmore, I started getting horizontal stringing on the target.  Checked the grip and mount screws and all were tight.

Looking closer I noticed a place on the front of the comp where it had been hit.  I then noticed that the comp was really close to the slide.  Not having feeler gauges with me, I used a lottery ticket.  On my two other open guns, I could close the slide with the ticket between the slide and comp and the ticket would slide out easily.  On the dropped gun it would clamp down on the ticket and tear it if I pulled.

I decided to take the comp off.  Surprisingly, as I was removing the two set screws on the comp, the comp was already loose.  I think the gun hit on the comp and pushed it and maybe the threads back some.  Long story short, i removed .005" off of the rear of the comp and reinstalled it.  Lottery ticket now would slide out like other two guns.  I took it to the range on Tuesday and was able to shoot approx. 2" groups at 25 yards.  Put locktite on comp and set screws.  Everything seems okay for now.

Thanks for all the ideas.

9 minutes ago, s2000red said:

Well, just to follow up.  After I changed the cmore, I started getting horizontal stringing on the target.  Checked the grip and mount screws and all were tight.

Looking closer I noticed a place on the front of the comp where it had been hit.  I then noticed that the comp was really close to the slide.  Not having feeler gauges with me, I used a lottery ticket.  On my two other open guns, I could close the slide with the ticket between the slide and comp and the ticket would slide out easily.  On the dropped gun it would clamp down on the ticket and tear it if I pulled.

I decided to take the comp off.  Surprisingly, as I was removing the two set screws on the comp, the comp was already loose.  I think the gun hit on the comp and pushed it and maybe the threads back some.  Long story short, i removed .005" off of the rear of the comp and reinstalled it.  Lottery ticket now would slide out like other two guns.  I took it to the range on Tuesday and was able to shoot approx. 2" groups at 25 yards.  Put locktite on comp and set screws.  Everything seems okay for now.

Thanks for all the ideas.

So your hypothesis is that a 4ft fall (insided a gun sleeve), stretched the threads on your barrel?  :huh:

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I wonder though.... If I recall the diode plugs in. Could it come partially unplugged if dropped squarely on top like OP mentioned?

Yep. Obviously it wasn't the problem in this case but the diode just plugs into a socket on the circuit board. Nothing really retains it apart from it usually being fairly tight in the hole that it goes through in the housing. The limcat glare shield does sit over it and can provide some insurance against it coming loose. 

I would say that the first string was because the drop damaged the C-More. The second bad string, I would say, is probably due the mount being loose by either loose screws or I have even seen this with screws being stripped which could have happened when changing the c-more mount

On 3/30/2017 at 10:37 PM, BeerBaron said:

Yep. Obviously it wasn't the problem in this case but the diode just plugs into a socket on the circuit board. Nothing really retains it apart from it usually being fairly tight in the hole that it goes through in the housing. The limcat glare shield does sit over it and can provide some insurance against it coming loose. 

What? The cover behind the battery cover retains the diode. 

On 02/04/2017 at 0:01 PM, robb315 said:

What? The cover behind the battery cover retains the diode. 

bad memory. all 4 of my cmore sliderides have limcat shields on them. my memory was that the cover goes around the diode (which sits proud) but that there is a larger flat surface but my memory said it wasn't touching the cover/surround. my bad.