Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need suggestions for extremely small hands

MrRick

So my daughter shot her first match yesterday with borrowed equipment. She used a Glock 19 but she could barely reach the trigger. 

I have a Stock 3 that she can't reach the trigger in DA form but can manage in SA form (after I switched the grips). 

From my understanding, if I remove the disco the gun will function in SA only, correct?  Want to convert it to SA and put a short reach flat trigger. Is it reversible? I know she will have to be in limited minor but that's no a problem for me till she gets the hang of it and becomes more proficient. 

Funny thing is is that she can shoot my open 2011 gun no problems but not going to spend $2k on an 2011 just yet.

Just now, OPENB said:

You could just leave it as is, put the safety on at make ready, & shoot SA. In Ltd. of course.

Thought about that but I'm hoping that the Hennings short flat trigger would give her a better reach. 

How about just a smaller-framed gun?

If you want steel, a CZ-75 with thin aluminum grips and an SA trigger is much smaller than a Stock III.  Or how about a single-stack 9mm 1911?

I really don't want to go out right now and spend $1k+ on another gun and rig. My oldest son usually shoots the S3 and I have been doing PCC so that leaves the open 2011. I have 2 triggers for the 2011. She can reach the short one. So once she gets the movement and all the safety down, then I will let her try PCC (she is pretty good with a rifle) or the 2011. Once she finds what she wants to shoot and if she wants to do this regularly then I look into helping her getting her stuff (HS graduation gift ? in June?). Thinking a Canik which I found to have a very small grip. 

Edited by MrRick

5 hours ago, glock24 said:

How about just a smaller-framed gun?

If you want steel, a CZ-75 with thin aluminum grips and an SA trigger is much smaller than a Stock III.  Or how about a single-stack 9mm 1911?

Damn it now you got me thinking about a 1911 in 9mm. Rock Island makes a 1911 in 9mm/TCM. Always been interested on the TCM.

Edited by MrRick

What grips are on your Tanfoglio? Suggest some Hennings (thin) or EGDs (ultra thin) as a modification.

If you know someone with one, an M&P with the small backstrap has proven to be most popular doublestack autoloader with petite female hands by far.

Glock bad, Beretta Bad, SIG bad, Tanfo bad. CZ and 1911 with very thin grips... good. M&P even better.

I have the wooden ones but they are shaved down pretty thin. 

Im going to take her on Friday to the LGS and let her see what she can hold then go from there. Knowing my little girl and her love for 1911s, I see where this might be going. 

Edited by MrRick

So after shaving the grips down and observing her grip, found out that she was gripping the gun wrong. She had her whole hand twisted with the center of her palm almost on the back of the gun. So a bit of adjustment and help of shaved grips, she has no issues. Now I have to get a lighter hammer spring so she doesn't have a hard time pulling the trigger in DA. Just going to order some aluminum grips. What color is the question?

IMG_0082.JPG

Edited by MrRick

On March 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM, MrRick said:

So after shaving the grips down and observing her grip, found out that she was gripping the gun wrong. She had her whole hand twisted with the center of her palm almost on the back of the gun. So a bit of adjustment and help of shaved grips, she has no issues. Now I have to get a lighter hammer spring so she doesn't have a hard time pulling the trigger in DA. Just going to order some aluminum grips. What color is the question?

IMG_0082.JPG

that a whole lot of metal for a young girl.  I would have suggested a small frame tanfoglio if you could find one, but it diesn't sound like you are planning to buy a new gun.