Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CKarms open - FT Eject

Unibrain

I have a CKarms Open Thunder in 9mm with around 3000 rounds.  Today at a match I had numerous Failures to Eject and the gun would constantly stovepipe.  When it did run the cases barely rolled out of the ejection port.  We tried several things including a new 9 lbs recoils spring (made it worse) and adding a new rear spring to the Aftec (old rear spring moved to the front with no change in the malfunctions).   I eventually changed to the only other recoil spring I had which is a 12 lbs wolf.  The gun ran and I put 150 rounds through it without issue.  I use mixed brass and the eject pattern was little wild but throwing the brass into a fairly consistent pile.  

Does this make sense and is a 12 lbs spring the right choice?  Of course A1 is this weekend and I really don't have time to do much before the match.

Any help is appreciated,

Jim

Off the top of my head and I'm sure you've done this but:

Check the ejector to make sure it's not damaged/broken. 

Taken a q-tip and cleaned out the extractor tunnel.

Check out the extractor hook for damage and gunk build up.

Slide a round under the hook to check for proper extractor tension.

Any way you could be thumbing the slide?

I have wolff/ismi/springco springs in pretty much every weight.  You're welcome to try any/all of them.  

Al

Ejector looks good, i.e. not broken.

Extractor hook looks good and holds a round.

I'll do a good top end cleaning and get out to the range this morning and see if it makes a difference.  I don't think I'm thumbing the slide but I'll pay attention to that as well.

I may take you up on the springs if I can't get things to work.

Fingers crossed.

Some history on the gun ? Was it running good before, did you change something, etc.. Twelve pound spring is on the heavy side.  Make sure the extractor is fitted properly and the tunnel is clear of gunk, my first thoughts would be the ejector or extractor, but especially the extractor.  If you have an old standard extractor lying around try it to rule out a problem with the Aftec and go from there.

Some history on the gun ? Was it running good before, did you change something, etc.. Twelve pound spring is on the heavy side.  Make sure the extractor is fitted properly and the tunnel is clear of gunk, my first thoughts would be the ejector or extractor, but especially the extractor.  If you have an old standard extractor lying around try it to rule out a problem with the Aftec and go from there.

Haha the short history is it has ran great since he got it a fewmonths ago (3k rounds?) and ran good for the first two or three stages yesterday, then it went kaput. Seemingly out of the blue complete failure.

Jim: let me know what ends up happening when you test it, i have an extra 10 pound as well (but I'm sure Al has one and he's a lot closer to you)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Haha the short history is it has ran great since he got it a fewmonths ago (3k rounds?) and ran good for the first two or three stages yesterday, then it went kaput. Seemingly out of the blue complete failure.

Jim: let me know what ends up happening when you test it, i have an extra 10 pound as well (but I'm sure Al has one and he's a lot closer to you)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Steel grip? If so, My gun went through this last year. After trying all of the above and spending hundreds of dollars my gunsmith found the MSH was full of rust and it was literally almost locking the gun up. This caused the gun to barely eject as well as not completely resetting the trigger.

Edited by Sarge

Wow good to know about steel grip and MSH. I'm about to buy a CK arms gun this week and see 2 of there guns broke in one weekend has me rethinking. But I still think best bang for your buck. 

Borrowed / stole a new 9lbs variable wolf spring and things seem to be better.  Ran 100 rounds through the Gun without issue and getting a nice ejection. 

Between yesterday and today also removed/cleaned the Aftec, inspected everything, and put the aftec back to a single spring for apples to apples comparison with when the Gun started to FTE.  

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Steel grip?

Nope. 

I reviewed video from last weekend and everything was fine. Stage 1 from yesterday was fine but by stage 3 the ejection was weak.  Stage 4 the malfunctions started. 

Note to self: 3000 rounds on the recoil spring is a little too much. 

Edited by Unibrain
Typo

1 hour ago, sitw said:

Sarge

So there was a ton of drag in the mainspring housing due to rust?  Darn, always learning.  Too bad at so much of your expense.

The MSH was actually full of rust and rust dust. Had a pile of dust to show me. The strut would get bound up. The spring was almost a solid mass of rust. I have no idea how it happened as the gun had never been wet in my possession. I admit it made me want to ditch the steel grip even more. I was worried hot cold conditions ? may have moisture condensing in there? Anyway I changed to plastic grip just like my other gun. CK are fine guns. Not sure what the recent problems are due to but my situation was some kind of fluke. Runs good now.

15 minutes ago, Unibrain said:

Borrowed / stole a new 9lbs variable wolf spring and things seem to be better.  Ran 100 rounds through the Gun without issue and getting a nice ejection. 

Between yesterday and today also removed/cleaned the Aftec, inspected everything, and put the aftec back to a single spring for apples to apples comparison with when the Gun started to FTE.  

Nope. 

I reviewed video from last weekend and everything was fine. Stage 1 from Rasay was fine but by stage 3 the ejection was weak.  Stage 4 the malfunctions started. 

Note to self: 3000 rounds on the recoil spring is a little too much. 

I generally start getting little indicators when my recoil spring is getting weak. Spread out over 2-3 matches. I have never heard of a recoil spring just throwing its hands up in surrender and quitting like yours!

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I have never heard of a recoil spring just throwing its hands up in surrender and quitting like yours!

The first two stages were surrender starts ...

I'm glad it was something simple.  I'll try to pay more attention to see if I can catch the early signs of failure.

1 hour ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

I wouldn't be afraid to get ahold of Bobby early on in the process of troubleshooting a CK gun. 

I dropped them a note this afternoon via the Facebook page.  Being the weekend I didn't expect a response and tried the forum first.

40 minutes ago, Unibrain said:

I dropped them a note this afternoon via the Facebook page.  Being the weekend I didn't expect a response and tried the forum first.

Bobby is probably on the way home from Nationals too.

Hello: something still seems amiss here. If the spring was worn it would actually be weaker causing the ejection to be more violent and ejecting them further away. At least that is what usually happens. Could your reloads be light on power factor? Did you compare the old and new spring you put in? Thanks, Eric

50 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Could your reloads be light on power factor? Did you compare the old and new spring you put in? Thanks, Eric

The loads are from the same batch so I don't think they could be drastically different.  They normally chrono with a SD less than 10 fps.

The free length of the old and new spring are the same.  I have a gauge that should be here later in the week and I'll measure.

Maybe it was something else but I'm at a loss to know what.  The top end was apart and reassembled several times and nothing helped until the 12lbs then the 9lbs spring.  Could have been a coincidence but swapping the spring made it better.