Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 vs Tanfo Stock 3?

lksyotas

Hello everyone, I am kicking the tire on buying at Shadow 2 and already have a Tanfo Stock 3.  For those out there who have shot or owned both now, could you describe how they compare?  Looking for your honest feedback as far as all handling characteristics.  I'm not worried about trigger differences, I'm familiar with both having owned a original Shadow and will perform a trigger job to the new Shadow 2 if needed if I end up picking one up.  In the end, if I buy both, I'll probably get rid of one but if there isn't much difference between them to start with, then I will probably stick with the Tanfo since its already tweaked to my liking.  Thanks in advance for your feedback!  

I had a Lim Pro. I'll give you my feeling on what's comparable of the two. 

Where CZ wins 

mag well for reloads on the clock. 

checkering front/back strap

Replaceable bushing 

Since your Tanfo is already tweaked I didn't mention the CZ is set up better form the factory. 

I feel trigger pull is so subjective and for me is pretty close to equal between the two. 

The only thing I'd say I'm not a fan of on the new Shadow 2 is the slide profile and cocking serration combo. IMO they went for look over function with the cocking serrations. I'd guess they profiled like they  did for weight savings?

I can't compare the weight/balance between the two though. Never held/shot a stock 3. Though, I'd guess it's very similar.  

I just remembered there's a video comparIng the two. Search YouTube. 

Edited by B_RAD

No one ever talks about whether their Tanfoglio is the large frame or the small frame.  Is this just assumed?  I've never held a small frame version, and I'd be curious to know if there is a big difference.

Below is that video, but the guy sounds foreign and is using the metric system.  Doesn't that mean he's from a country that can get the small frame version?  So which one is in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fcZ1-ZJ3c&t=5s

Edited by glock24

Did try a shadow 2 today. Grip is almost the same as the stock 2.  .  Had a sharper recoil than my stock 2 in 40 minor ( this is probably not a fair comparison). TRigger is decent for a stock gun. DA is probably 9-10 lbs but the SA is nice for a stock gun ( 3-3.5 lbs.) Am I going to jump with the bandwagon? No, I like my stock 2 40 minor. If was looking for my first production gun, I would strongly consider the shadow 2. 

Edited by bulm540

I shot my shadow 2 a little more today. It's very nice!  I think it's the best factory offering I've had experience with but I'm not gonna switch to it this year.  I'm gonna stick with my shadow 1's and will be selling the S2. 

33 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I shot my shadow 2 a little more today. It's very nice!  I think it's the best factory offering I've had experience with but I'm not gonna switch to it this year.  I'm gonna stick with my shadow 1's and will be selling the S2. 

it is a nice gun from the factory indeed. 

35 minutes ago, bulm540 said:

it is a nice gun from the factory indeed. 

No joke. You could shoot it out of the box.  

DA is about 8# but is smooth!  

Edited by B_RAD

Shadow 2 makes Stock 3 look like hammered dogsh!t

I don't agree. I shot both and I'd pick a Stock III any day of the week! The only things I envy from the Shadow 2 is the finish, the lack of firing pin safety and the DA, but you guys can use the BOLO in USPSA so I wouldn't worry about the DA.

The Stock III's recoil is way softer than the Shadow 2's, it is virtually non-existant.

Much cheaper, too...

9 hours ago, glock24 said:

No one ever talks about whether their Tanfoglio is the large frame or the small frame.  Is this just assumed?  I've never held a small frame version, and I'd be curious to know if there is a big difference.

In the US, yes. I know of a handful of people that have small frames, they're that rare. External dimensions are pretty much the same as the large frames, with the usual manufacturing differences depending on what year they were made. Other than the internal magazine differences, the small frames use a different firing pin and trigger bar.

25 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Seriously? Dang bro, I thought you had another Shadow 2 inbound as well?

I do. I'm on a waiting list. Gonna call them up and pass on it. 

It's sweet. Just got everything for my S1's already running.  Really no need to switch right now. Or whenever it becomes USPSA legal. I'll just wait until next year. 

20 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Shadow 2 makes Stock 3 look like hammered dogsh!t

No one who is serious about USPSA cares about looks. ;) 

(Although I'm planning to cerakote my gun mostly so that no one has a clue what the hell it is...)

I shoot a Stock 3, I look forward to someone locally showing up with a Shadow 2 for me to play with.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 3/27/2017 at 4:03 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

(Although I'm planning to cerakote my gun mostly so that no one has a clue what the hell it is...)

I shoot a Stock 3, I look forward to someone locally showing up with a Shadow 2 for me to play with.

It's impossible not to like.  Ready to burn rubber right out of the box.  A good option for people who don't want to do any gunsmithing or can't do any gunsmithing.  Shoots great, and hardly any more expensive than buying a stock steel frame gun and racing it up.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:03 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

You can try mine ...

Hello everyone, I wanted to send out a quick update on my original post.  I ended up buying a Shadow 2 and was able to get it to the range for its first work out during my lunch hour.  I brought along my Stock 3 for comparisons.  Only was able to shoot a round of Dot Torture and some distance drills with both guns to compare perceived recoil as well as how both sights return to target and timing on each.  

The Stock 3 gun feels a tad better in my hand.  I wear a large size glove and its a large frame gun.  The CZ feels just slightly smaller and the blackstrap of the grip is contoured just a tad different than the Stock 3.  When shooting they both feel the same though.  The new checkering on the front and back of the grip on the S2 are very well done.  Much better quality than the Tanfo's similar checkering.  

The S2 has a tighter slide to frame feel to it than my S3 but that could be due to it being new and my Stock 3 having almost 2000 rounds through it.  

I put 85 rounds through the gun today shooting 135g Blue Bullets over 3.2g of PrimaV.  This load makes 130 PF out of my Stock 3 so not sure what the Shadow 2 does yet.  Maybe next range trip I'll bring the chrono.  As far as perceived recoil goes, I'd say in my opinion, the Stock 3 was just ever so slightly less in felt recoil than the Shadow 2.  I fired freestyle, strong, and weak hand to verify this observation.  Both guns recoiled up and torqued to the right slightly in about the same manor when shooting.  Also, both guns sights seemed to return about the same on target for me with the S2's slide having a bit more velocity than the Stock 3.  If I didn't have both guns on hand today I wouldn't have noticed the differences.  

The only thing I've done to the S3 is replace the main spring with a 11.5lb.  Recoil spring and everything else is as stock.  I must say I'm actually impressed with its trigger!  Pull is butter smooth and the DA is averaging 7lb .4oz and SA is averaging 3lb .4oz.  I'd like the DA to be a bit lighter but I am totally happy with the crispness and weight of the SA.  Hardly any creep and short reset.  I actually like it as much as my Stock 3 that has had every PD spring installed, bolo, and Titan hammer plus full polishing on all friction points.  Compared to my old CZ SP01 Shadow, that needed a lot of polishing and trigger upgrades to get rid of the grit and pull where I wanted it, this new S2 is miles ahead for a new gun.  

I would agree that in this guns case, it truly is about ready for competition right out of the box at least for my shooting style.  Well done CZ!

IMG_5572_zpsbyvplq7z.jpg

My S2 chrono results.  

3.4 Prima V (slower 16055 batch) with 147 xtreme @ 1.135" around 132 pf. 

10 shot average was 900. 

Edited by B_RAD

22 hours ago, lksyotas said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to send out a quick update on my original post.  I ended up buying a Shadow 2 and was able to get it to the range for its first work out during my lunch hour.  I brought along my Stock 3 for comparisons.  Only was able to shoot a round of Dot Torture and some distance drills with both guns to compare perceived recoil as well as how both sights return to target and timing on each.  

The Stock 3 gun feels a tad better in my hand.  I wear a large size glove and its a large frame gun.  The CZ feels just slightly smaller and the blackstrap of the grip is contoured just a tad different than the Stock 3.  When shooting they both feel the same though.  The new checkering on the front and back of the grip on the S2 are very well done.  Much better quality than the Tanfo's similar checkering.  

The S2 has a tighter slide to frame feel to it than my S3 but that could be due to it being new and my Stock 3 having almost 2000 rounds through it.  

I put 85 rounds through the gun today shooting 135g Blue Bullets over 3.2g of PrimaV.  This load makes 130 PF out of my Stock 3 so not sure what the Shadow 2 does yet.  Maybe next range trip I'll bring the chrono.  As far as perceived recoil goes, I'd say in my opinion, the Stock 3 was just ever so slightly less in felt recoil than the Shadow 2.  I fired freestyle, strong, and weak hand to verify this observation.  Both guns recoiled up and torqued to the right slightly in about the same manor when shooting.  Also, both guns sights seemed to return about the same on target for me with the S2's slide having a bit more velocity than the Stock 3.  If I didn't have both guns on hand today I wouldn't have noticed the differences.  

The only thing I've done to the S3 is replace the main spring with a 11.5lb.  Recoil spring and everything else is as stock.  I must say I'm actually impressed with its trigger!  Pull is butter smooth and the DA is averaging 7lb .4oz and SA is averaging 3lb .4oz.  I'd like the DA to be a bit lighter but I am totally happy with the crispness and weight of the SA.  Hardly any creep and short reset.  I actually like it as much as my Stock 3 that has had every PD spring installed, bolo, and Titan hammer plus full polishing on all friction points.  Compared to my old CZ SP01 Shadow, that needed a lot of polishing and trigger upgrades to get rid of the grit and pull where I wanted it, this new S2 is miles ahead for a new gun.  

I would agree that in this guns case, it truly is about ready for competition right out of the box at least for my shooting style.  Well done CZ!

IMG_5572_zpsbyvplq7z.jpg

Awesome!  Thank you for the comparison.

If I understand you right, the S2 feels a bit smaller than the S3.  That's what I was hoping for.  My S3 is too big for me.

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

Bigger grips would solve that. 

Yeah, I might put a set of VZs on like my old Shadow 1. They gripped real well from what I recall and had more girth than the thin alum. 

Had some free time over the weekend to spit out a holster for my new S2.  Hope to hit the range today and finally be able to run some drills timed to see how it stacks up against my Tanfo.  The holster is a prototype and I will change a few details for the final version.   Mainly the rear of the trigger guard has a slight gap that won't affect functionality but is not ascetically pleasing...But it does draw nice based on my initial dry fire practice last night.

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

Edited by lksyotas

I need to put my hands on both the S2 and Stock2/3 to feel the grip difference. But I'm currently shooting STI with metal EVO grips and Glocks.  If Im not able to touch both of these guns, which would have a closer grip profile to what I'm used to?

Edited by ScottieShootz