Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone make their own mag tune kit to save $100 by not buying Dawson kit?

nikdanja

I thought the same thing when thinking about buying the Shockbottle 100 round case gauge ..... $100 for a case gauge?

Then I thought "Really, what is $100 to make sure my $3,000 pistol is reliable at the match?", so ordered one and love it.

If you think you need it, just get it. I've had good luck tuning my own mags, but seems like others aren't so lucky.

IMO The heart of the kit is a mandrel for forming the lips, works for STI, caspian and tanfo mags.  The fence ring pliers, diamond files, vid, etc. are just a bonus.  The kit doesn't include a hammer, BTW.   Is it worth 100 bucks?   I didn't feel cheated. 

13 hours ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Ahhhh. No. 

Quit being a cheap ass and just buy the whole kit. This ain't Walmart. 

Ok cool..email me your phone number and I can send you my address so you can buy me one..sounds like your rolling it in anyway maybe you can help a brother out

14 hours ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Ahhhh. No. 

And when I had to alter the mandrel to work with inserts I called Dawson for just the plastic piece that screws on so I could use it with mags without inserts. Let's just say they were very hesitant to sell just that part to me. They know it's the meat of the kit too. :)

55 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

Ok cool..email me your phone number and I can send you my address so you can buy me one..sounds like your rolling it in anyway maybe you can help a brother out

Nik, lighten up man! I doubt anybody will buy you one but one of us may have loaned you one to use / try out? It's a good kit. I have one. But you can certainly tune mags without it. I know a mag tuner who just hits the feed lips with a hammer while holding the mag at an angle on a steel plate. 

Those feed lips are pretty hard to move! :)

1 hour ago, nikdanja said:

Probably a bad idea....

i mean, I give you my number, you call me up all grumpy, but immediately you realize I'm a super cool guy, in fact you think to yourself "wow, this guy just pisses excellence" we strike up an epic long distance bromance. You call me day and night, I give you advice on dating strippers and you teach me how to grow the perfect soul patch. 

Its all tittie sprinkles and shell casings until my wife (stripper) gets jealous and the calls have to end. In a fit of rage you give my number to every liberal cause resulting in endless robo calls for me. 

I retaliate by (since you gave me your address) getting you 100 subscriptions to Cat Fancy magazine, your new found crazy hot stripper sees this and leaves you. 

A tragic ending for all. 

Oh, BTW  just use a brass hammer and calipers, works just fine. 

42 minutes ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Probably a bad idea....

i mean, I give you my number, you call me up all grumpy, but immediately you realize I'm a super cool guy, in fact you think to yourself "wow, this guy just pisses excellence" we strike up an epic long distance bromance. You call me day and night, I give you advice on dating strippers and you teach me how to grow the perfect soul patch. 

Its all tittie sprinkles and shell casings until my wife (stripper) gets jealous and the calls have to end. In a fit of rage you give my number to every liberal cause resulting in endless robo calls for me. 

I retaliate by (since you gave me your address) getting you 100 subscriptions to Cat Fancy magazine, your new found crazy hot stripper sees this and leaves you. 

A tragic ending for all. 

You win the Internet post of the day!!

47 minutes ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Probably a bad idea....

A tragic ending for all. 

Bwahaha!!

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Nik, lighten up man! I doubt anybody will buy you one but one of us may have loaned you one to use / try out? It's a good kit. I have one. But you can certainly tune mags without it. I know a mag tuner who just hits the feed lips with a hammer while holding the mag at an angle on a steel plate. 

Those feed lips are pretty hard to move! :)

?

Hmmm. Wonder how long those kits have been on the market?

Might be time for someone to start selling a knock off on the cheap.

Am a big fan of developers recovering their up front risk/cost/time, but after a generous 'patent' period has expired am also a big fan of purchase costs getting a bit closer to manufacturing costs. Development and profit-good, eventual competition-good. 

On 3/25/2017 at 8:25 PM, Ultimo-Hombre said:

Ahhhh. No. 

I think the kit is a fair value.. but he asked so I made a suggestion. Odds are if you ask around your club someone will help you tune a couple mags in trade for a six pack, that's what I did when I started shooting a 2011

1 minute ago, Foxj66 said:

I think the kit is a fair value.. but he asked so I made a suggestion. Odds are if you ask around your club someone will help you tune a couple mags in trade for a six pack, that's what I did when I started shooting a 2011

Not pissin in your well amigo. 

Just know enough hombres in the gun game to know there is dick all for profits to be had so a John Doe call up askin for a freebie is a low probability move. 

Would you buy a Porsche and call up the dealer askin for a free suspension upgrade? 

Your suggestion for local help is good, but if I'm gonna teach you how to tune 2011 mags I'm gonna want more than a 6er of PBR. 

Say it with me.... JAMESON.