Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crack in 3 week old slide

3djedi

26 minutes ago, JRM83 said:

This look like the beginning of a crack around the ejection port? It continues up the slide, over the ejection port, and back down the other side a bit. 

That definitely looks like a crack.  Unlike Jedi's situation, I wouldn't put any more rounds through that pistol.  Contact the builder and get a replacement going.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This look like the beginning of a crack around the ejection port? It continues up the slide, over the ejection port, and back down the other side a bit. 

Listen to Al. That gun could have a catastrophic failure with a crack like that.

InkedIMG_20170328_165640_LI2.thumb.jpg.20790b9772a816b532e25048807053d5.jpg
InkedIMG_20170328_165447_LI2.thumb.jpg.a1f086e94e3b30c162e79807b27f1fed.jpg

Is that a CK? How many rounds on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 3djedi said:

Is that a CK? How many rounds on it?

Yes it is a CK, there are about 10k rounds through the gun.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:47 PM, 3djedi said:

I talked with CK. Seems they are having issues with cracking with STi slides.

They said it will take 6-10 weeks to fix. That sucks but it is what it is.......

Wait.  Why do they use STI slide on their builds?

I thought CK made their own slides.

For a period of time Matt and Bobby were using STI slides.  These slides, like others from STI produced during this period have been having a high failure rate.  STI has advised that they believe that the material in the slides in question was too hard resulting in the failures.  If you haven't done so already contact them and they will get this resolved for you.  

On 3/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, JRM83 said:

InkedIMG_20170328_165640_LI2.jpg

InkedIMG_20170328_165447_LI2.jpg

See how this crack seems to start at the end of the rough lines from the flaring of the ejection port, tool and machine marks and sharp edges are often the cause of cracks starting in metal. The fact that STI has made low quality slides for a while now is no secret, why any custom builder would use an STI slide is beyond me. There are other factors that cause slides to fail besides them being a bad slide to start with that have to do with the way machining and finishing is done on the slide, or any metal part for that matter.  

• 2 months later...

Just figured I'd update since I got my gun back from Bobby today. When I sent it off I stripped out one of the optic mount screws on accident. Bobby replaced the slide, removed the stripped screw, remounted with 5 new screws, remounted the comp with fresh set screws (I think he cleaned it a bit too), refinished the ENTIRE gun, and sent it back literally like new. And he didn't ask for a dime even for the stripped screw that was my fault. Can't say enough good things about CK right now. 

18 hours ago, Gman57 said:

Glad it worked out... did you pick up the shipping or did CK?

I paid shipping out, they paid the return.

15 hours ago, Steelix said:

Good to hear, how long did it take. Now you have a gun to break in again. 

About 8 weeks. I sent a gun to STI the same day that had a problem with the sights from the factory and that gun still isn't back yet. And all it needs is a new front sight.

No offense but I don't believe this guy commenting on the post saying STI told this guys "friend" that "you broke it, you fix it" and I'm sure if they did say that then there was clear evidence of your "friend" misusing or abusing the gun. I own many many STIs that I bought new (open and limited) and haven't had an issue yet. I recently purchased a second hand several year old STI Steelmaster 9mm minor Open gun. It had an issue with the slide stop falling out. This gun is about 6 years old and STI paid for shipping to them and will pay for shipping to return it and are going to replace the entire frame of the gun as a warranty because they aren't sure whether it's an issue in their end or by the previous owner. By all LEGITIMATE (not my "friend" said or my cousins friend said stories) accounts STI has taken care of their customers when it is deserved.... again if you damage your gun due to your own modifications, slide cuts, negligence, or misuse then I would expect no less of them to turn you away. I'm sure ALL manufacturers are the same way. I bet if you took one of Bobbys guns, had someone else have it lightened and cut, then it broke.... he would turn you away as well. That applies to pretty much any consumer product on any market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Jonesjohnm said:

No offense but I don't believe this guy commenting on the post saying STI told this guys "friend" that "you broke it, you fix it" and I'm sure if they did say that then there was clear evidence of your "friend" misusing or abusing the gun. I own many many STIs that I bought new (open and limited) and haven't had an issue yet. I recently purchased a second hand several year old STI Steelmaster 9mm minor Open gun. It had an issue with the slide stop falling out. This gun is about 6 years old and STI paid for shipping to them and will pay for shipping to return it and are going to replace the entire frame of the gun as a warranty because they aren't sure whether it's an issue in their end or by the previous owner. By all LEGITIMATE (not my "friend" said or my cousins friend said stories) accounts STI has taken care of their customers when it is deserved.... again if you damage your gun due to your own modifications, slide cuts, negligence, or misuse then I would expect no less of them to turn you away. I'm ALL manufacturers are the same way. I bet if you took one of Bobbys guns, had someone else have it lightened and cut, then it broke.... he would turn you away as well. That applies to pretty much any consumer product on any market.

Glad it worked for you.

BUT

STI has lost my business and several local shooters for NOT backing their product like they should.  When a slide is cut the same as a DVC and then they say it was cut too much for them to back it up I personally don't like that style of CS.  So my money will and has been spent with other makers.

Again I truly am glad it worked out for you.

Glad it worked for you. BUT STI has lost my business and several local shooters for NOT backing their product like they should.  When a slide is cut the same as a DVC and then they say it was cut too much for them to back it up I personally don't like that style of CS.  So my money will and has been spent with other makers. Again I truly am glad it worked out for you.       

Seriously?!?!?! That's not how it works man lol. You can't expect a company to back a product that they did not modify. That's like me modifying my Ford Raptor with the turbos on a Ford Shelby F150. Yea it's the same design and OEM parts but they didn't do the work. When I blow my engine of course they won't cover it. Now had I had Ford modify my truck it would have been covered. I bet had your friend had STI (they have a custom shop and would have done this) mill the slide they would have covered it. That's not fair to blame STI for your friends choices and bad luck, why should they warranty that???? Again, ask any other gun manufacturers... if they build you a gun and then after the fact you cut their slides via a 3rd party they WILL not warranty it if it breaks. That's not BAD customer service, that's GOOD business. By your logic applied here you must be one of those people who believe in free healthcare, free college tuition, free cell phones, and EBT cards for the masses. This applies to nearly every consumer product... when you modify a product you void the conditions and warranty by using it in a manner in which it was not designed to be used.   I'm not calling you out because your talking shit about STI. I'm calling you out because your ignorance is putting out bad information about a manufacturer who did nothing wrong. I don't care if it was CK, SVI, LSI, FGW, or Rock Island, everyone has their own brand preference. This shares your intelligence level to the rest of the forum. Again, I challenge you to call and find one manufacturer who would warranty a gun that failed after a 3rd party makes MAJOR modifications to said mentioned critical parts on a gun. If you can I'll ship you a six pack of your favorite beer.  

Over 11ozs

Funny man I can modify caspain, ck slides and have them cover them! 

But OH, they're not cracked since I've used them to replace the other companies slide.

If you can't flat top and put serrations on a slide we all better start shooting factory guns!

Not

I'm done with this conversation. Good fortune to all

You just made my point.... it was a FACTORY gun that was modified by a third party.... again back to the truck scenario. Why would they provide a factory warranty on a factory gun that has been chopped to hell and back and is no longer factory???? Your ignorance is amusing sir. My regards to you and your "friend" again I love these third party shit talkers condemning a company for no reason. Go buy ANY factory gun from a glock to a 2011, mill/ chop/ lighten the slide, then if it breaks try claiming the warranty lmao. It's not going to be covered. Jeebus someone get this kid a helmet.

Hello: STI slides in the last year have been having problems whether they are factory guns or ones sold to people who modify them. STI used to stand by their slides if they were not overly lightened or had cuts to close to the ejection port. I have personally seen 3 STI slides that have cracked in the same spot near the extractor hole. The grain structure of the metal looks very poor with a very course grain. It does not look like the STI slides of the past. Will STI warranty the slide? I think they may but why would you want another slide that is going to do the same thing? I have also noticed that the 2011 frames are not as hard as they used to be as well. As shooters we shoot a lot of rounds in a year and are used to products that can take the punishment for years on end. I am not sure if STI is up to the challenge any longer? Thanks, Eric