Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

small rifle magnum primers in Glock

Scottie

I would like to simplify reloading and use the same primers for my Glock and AR.  I was just curious if anyone has experience using CCI 450 primers with a Glock or other striker fired pistol.  The gun has a factory striker with a 6 lb spring.  

I commonly use std. SR primer with ball powder in handguns, most commonly 357 mag. You will want to redo your load development for the handgun, this won't be plug & play. Honestly though, I don't use SR magnum primer on anything, I most commonly run Winchester primers, with a few loads using Federal GM SR primers, and CCI BR4s for the varmint rifle.

I've heard from people whos opinions I respect that magnum rifle primers in handguns can cause the bullet to exit the case a bit prematurely because of the greatly increased brisance of the magnum primers over std pistol primers, but once again, I've never tried it myself.

I do agree that the Glock striker will probably fire the primers.

Tula SR Magnum primers are all I use in 9mm, SP .45ACP and .223/5.56 with no problems.  I only have 1911s so no problem igniting the primers.  Thank most "stock" striker fired firearms would ignite SRPs but I'd certainly try a hand full of ammunition with them before I counted on that 100%.

Thanks for the input.  Next reloading session, I think I'll be cautious and load with CCI 400s and test it out in my Glock and small primer 45 in my 1911.  And like 57K said, I probably don't need SRMs for my 223 either, so CCI 400s all around.

I asked Hodgdon...Or maybe it was CCI. Or maybe both? They all said I should use magnum or mil rifle primers for the double ball powder on .223. Examples being H335, 2460 2230

Otherwise. If small pistol primers are specified. I'd say stick with that...

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to trying it and was pretty successful.  I have 6# striker spring that is 1 year old and it had no problem lighting CCI 400 primers for approximately 50 rounds of practice ammo.  However, in the last stage of a match I had 2 light strikes.  I think two things contributed to this:  my 6# spring doesn't allow for much error and my loads are dirty, which may have caused sticking in the striker channel.  I plan to try the 7# blue Glock striker spring and don't think there will be any more issues.

Edited by Scottie