Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chalk one up for the Old(er) Fencer

Blueridge

On March 5th 2017 I competed in the NC Fencing Divisionals Tournament in order to try and qualify to the US Fencing Nationals this July in Salt Lake City, Utah. Unfortunately for me I had been unable to practice since late November 2016. To qualify I would have to finish 3rd or better to achieve this goal, and the challenge would be that I would have to compete against (and defeat) athletes that are half or possibly one-third my age.

I came into the tournament seated 3rd (and thus a target), and I fenced the seeding pool for the direct elimination bracket. As things would go, I had a good showing in pools finishing 4-1. This put me in seeded 3rd coming out of pools as it happened. I then went on to face opponents that were either in high school or college on the way to the finals. In the finals I faced a high school fencer (who had not lost all day) and managed to prevail 15-13 to take first place.

Below is the photo of me with the second and third place fencers. There ages combined do not add up to mine. :lol: 

(I gotta do something when I am not punching holes in innocent [but often annoying] cardboard.) :D

2017 NC Divisional Medalist.jpg

Now I need to get ready for The US Fencing Nationals this summer. Plenty more younger fencers (with their coaches) to face there In the Division 3 and Division 2 Epee. Not that the Veterans 40-49 Epee event will be much easier. Three events in four days.:blink:

Edited by Blueridge
Additional Information.