Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Normal for doh holsters to have pointed into leg when holstered?

sandflea316

I have two doh holsters (bladetech and cr wsm2) that tends to have the pistol cant inwards when pistol is holstered.

Is this normal for doh?

I also ordered a boss holster which should be here any day as well.  Hoping it doesn't do the same

The BOSS will be straighter.  How much straighter depends on the stiffness of your belt.  I bought a BladeTech Competition One DOH and said WTF when I got it.  I immediately ordered a BOSS kit.  On a DAA belt (not the new one) it was almost straight down.  It did cant inward at the muzzle a little, because I was using a heavy gun at the time.  However, it was not enough to point at any part of my body.

i heated two of my DOH pieces and removed the "angle" out of them, went pretty well.  i recently contacted blade-tech and they said they're actually working on making some non-angled DOH pieces for us competition shooters.

Well got the boss hanger in.  Ran the set up with a tek lok mount.

With a loaded pistol (SVI 2011) it still cants in, though not as bad as the other two setup.

Belt is a cr speed thats about 2 years old.

Not a total loss, was able to use the existing  screw mount on the hanger to rig something up.

Vzunxw.jpg

I understand the BT DOH was designed with the ladies in mind. Without the right curves I have found it points in unless you shim it. The Springer Precision/Red Hill Tactical  drop offset or boss mounts are the very good upgrade. 

2 hours ago, zzt said:

You will also get less flex if you lose the Teklock and use the hardware that came with the BOSS.

Agreed on the Teklock. My boss hands dead vertical with a heavy 45oz all-steel Tanfoglio in it. All of these style of hangers need be bolted to your belt and clamped down hard.

If your CR speed belt is anything like mine it's a joke.. I have a DAA pro and shooters connection and both are twice as stiff. Never had a problem with a heavy tanfo and a BOSS. I never could understand how people could run those DOS holsters that point straight into your leg. 

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agreed on the Teklock. My boss hands dead vertical with a heavy 45oz all-steel Tanfoglio in it. All of these style of hangers need be bolted to your belt and clamped down hard.

May have to try that and see how it hangs.

May also look into another belt as well.

Going to run a match Sunday with current config and see how it goes

On 3/24/2017 at 4:10 PM, sandflea316 said:

I have two doh holsters (bladetech and cr wsm2) that tends to have the pistol cant inwards when pistol is holstered.

Is this normal for doh?

I also ordered a boss holster which should be here any day as well.  Hoping it doesn't do the same

what happens with blade tec is they do cant inward. i have 4 load out rigs for work. all mount a b/t on his doh thingy. take a heat gun. not a hair drier and heat it bend it with 2 pr vice grips S-L-O-W-L-Y    ---   G-E-N-T-L-Y   untill if hits the 90 deg angle or what u want. i use this mount as its better to sit in a vehicle with and run/ play etc.   drop legs are dangerous for short guys (not l.o.l.)

when u order u might ask for the correct cant. talk to Tom Crawford or  his son. great people.

email me ur number if u  need more questions answered. my secretary does pics but be gentle

I personally stayed away from them just for this reason. I always found it ironic that we DQ people for muzzling their hand but have no issue with them inserting a gun into a holster that points it right into their leg.

Kudos for those taking the time to adjust the cant out of the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@tedahlenius85...

I think this depends largely on the waist contour, thigh shape, and perhaps natural stance of the shooter in question. My BOSS hanger rests firmly against my pants at that point without a spacer installed there. To the point I've thought before that "I'm glad the screws don't stick out or I'd be wearing holes in my clothes."

Thanks guys lots of great info here.

Anyone have any experience with the CR speed Ultra belt?  Or should I just go with the DAA?

The inward always had bothered me but I never really thought about it until I took one of Ben Stoeger's class and hearing Kita talk about the incident where a student shot herself

yep i agree, body shape and how high/low you wear your belt makes a difference. any of the aluminum hangers like the BOSS make a big difference in my opinion compared the the DOH plastic options that come with some holsters.

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, sandflea316 said:

Well got the boss hanger in.  Ran the set up with a tek lok mount.

With a loaded pistol (SVI 2011) it still cants in, though not as bad as the other two setup.

Belt is a cr speed thats about 2 years old.

Not a total loss, was able to use the existing  screw mount on the hanger to rig something up.

Vzunxw.jpg

I'm trying to straighten up  a RHT holster for 3 gun. What are you using here as a spacer? That looks like exactly what I need.