Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

98gr Eggleston Coated 9mm Seating problems

gerritm

I have never loaded any this small before on my 650. 3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.10 OAL.  Having a real struggle keeping them straight when seating. Seems like I can't get the bell right, either too large and they drop thru or too tight and scrape the coating and go crooked.  Using a Lee U-die, Dillon powder with Mr Bullet expander, Dillon seating die, Dillon taper crimp die. Tried my Lee seating die and it didn't seem to work any better. Putting the bullets on the brass by hand, not using the mini Mr Bullet. Crimp is OK when I get them straight.

Loaded them on my trusty little Lee 4-hole turret press with no issues.

Is it just keep playing with the bell until I get it right or is there a trick?

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

I have had similar issues with my Dillon 550.  I took the advice of a friend who suggested I use a Redding Competition Seating Die for 9MM.  It has made a HUGE difference in my rework.  I went from ~5% to less than 0.5% loaded rounds with issues related to seating.  I noticed just doing a few tests that the Redding die will also accurately seat a SWC bullet from the FP vs. the shoulder.

10 hours ago, gerritm said:

I have never loaded any this small before on my 650. 3.2gr Titegroup @ 1.10 OAL.  Having a real struggle keeping them straight when seating. Seems like I can't get the bell right, either too large and they drop thru or too tight and scrape the coating and go crooked.  Using a Lee U-die, Dillon powder with Mr Bullet expander, Dillon seating die, Dillon taper crimp die. Tried my Lee seating die and it didn't seem to work any better. Putting the bullets on the brass by hand, not using the mini Mr Bullet. Crimp is OK when I get them straight.

Loaded them on my trusty little Lee 4-hole turret press with no issues.

Is it just keep playing with the bell until I get it right or is there a trick?

gerritm

I'm running a 550 with dillon dies. The smallest I went was 100gr berry's with no problems. Maybe they just need a hand drop for the bullets.

Played around with it a little last night and if I put them on by the mini bullet feeder and then guide them with my fingers keeping it straight into the die they seem to load evenly. Going to try and open the bell just a very small amount next time. They are not scraping the coating off now so that is good.

gerritm