Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non ramped 9mmbarrel

johes

I am running two 1911's in 9mm that are not ramped and they run great.  I have not tried the worst hollow points (Gold Dots) yet.  They are tough to feed in some guns, but for a game gun, there is not a need for a ramp.

There is no need for a ramped barrel if using factory loads, or handload withing the normal 9mm SAAMI pressure max.  You can reshape the feed ramp on a 1911 to handle HP bullets.  I've never shot +P loads through a 1911, so I don't know if you "should" have a ramped barrel or not.  If I were shooting +P+ or 9mm major loads, a ramped barrel is mandatory.

I built one a couple of months ago, and so far its feed everything, including empty brass

i think the one thing that helps is I have the Brownells mags that have a feed ramp which stops the rounds from nose diving downward

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-9mm-magazines-prod84195.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911&avs|Cartridge_1=APP_9%2bmm%2bLuger

My Colt 1991A1 9mm is pretty picky about bullet shape.  It is not reliable with truncated cone, flatpoints, or even blunt roundnose. 

Rather than grind on the ramps, I just feed it the rather pointy plated Xtreme bullets. Trial boxes of Bayou coated 124 gr RN and Magnus 147 gr FMJ are doing well so far.   

It was great when I could get Hornady 147 gr BTRN "blems" cheaply but the blemishes got worse and the price got higher, so I tried other brands.