Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seekins precision SP10 308-18"

Tmcfarland

I am looking into purchasing the Seekins SP10 308 18" rifle for competition use. Looking to use it just a few times a year. Shot range will be from bay type shooting out to 800 yards. I currently reload all my own ammunition for other calibers but not set up for the 308 yet. I am looking to purchase about a 1000 rounds for break in, practice and competition. I do not know the twist rate of the match grade barrel at this time as they don't advertise it. So i need a few things from this group before I pick it up.

1. Ammo recommendations for brand and bullet weight for general accuracy, economy and able to hold 1-2 MOA groups. Longest shot known now is 650 yards.

Note: I am not sponsored and I am not rich! 

2. Knowledge and/or experience with the mentioned rifle

3. Best way to break in the barrel if needed or just heat it up the old fashion way?

I appreciate the responses as this is on a short time window of opportunity.   

168/175gr Federal gold medal match will do the magic. I'd be surprised if twist were any less than 1:10.

Once you start reloading, the 175  Sierra TMK + Varget/4064 will be your go to load, and I'm not rich either.

Can't help you with info on the rifle, never heard of it.

Break in: lots of voodoo. The science (from what I understand) is to get a good, consistent copper base layer in the tooling marks and imperfections in the barrel. Therefore, most recommend (with the caveat that there really isnt any one perfect method) a good cleaning prior to use, then running a patch after EACH shot for the first 5-10 firings, then every other shot from 11-20, every third shot from 21-30...So on and so forth.

Others will chime in and say they've got a .2 moa barrel without nary a cleaning...

Both are correct :)

Depends on how methodical you want to be, I guess.

Edited by JFoley001

Talked with Seekins, the barrel is a 1:11.25 and they recommend using 168gr match grade ammo to get the best results. It should be here next week along with all the equipment to start building rounds.
Going to start with Hornady 168 grain HPBT match bullets, Federal LR primers and Ramshot Tac powder. Looking at some match grade ammo they are pushing about 2680 fps so I'm going to start around that mark. Any questions or concerns please let me know, I really despise how many choices and combinations there are in rifle loading[emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk