Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC and rimfire low ready prop

Jimmy76

only problem is nobody can really practice because there is no set height. This is no different then a match director saying all centerfire shooters have to start with your hands in your pocket....No one practices it but that is how you have to try to shoot your best times and maybe the next stage we'll shoot with hands at your sides. Doesn't make a lot of sense to tell half of the sport there is no set start point.

From the January 2009 Rules, Section 5 - Stage Procedures and Range Commands, 2. Start Position:

"3.  In the Rimfire Match, there will be an aiming point (flag or sign) centered downrange directly in front of each shooters box approximately 10’ away and 2’ high. Where multiple boxes are on a stage such as in Outer Limits, the flag will be placed in the center of the array. The competitor while waiting for the start signal, must be pointing/aiming their gun at the flag/sign with the finger off the trigger."

See the new NROI ruling for Outer Limits and Showdown.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:44 PM, hornetx40 said:

only problem is nobody can really practice because there is no set height. This is no different then a match director saying all centerfire shooters have to start with your hands in your pocket....No one practices it but that is how you have to try to shoot your best times and maybe the next stage we'll shoot with hands at your sides. Doesn't make a lot of sense to tell half of the sport there is no set start point.

10 feet away and 2 feet high.  It says "approximately", but that doesn't mean a match director can randomly make up nonsense that isn't even close.  The rules say it directly, so it needs to be around 10 feet away and 2 feet high.

Pretty clear, I'd think.

We also use traffic cones, with a black dot painted on a 2' high.  In the past we used flags, but with winds and different people putting them in, we didn't really like them.  The cones work really well.

7 hours ago, Thomas H said:

10 feet away and 2 feet high.  It says "approximately", but that doesn't mean a match director can randomly make up nonsense that isn't even close.  The rules say it directly, so it needs to be around 10 feet away and 2 feet high.

Pretty clear, I'd think.

We also use traffic cones, with a black dot painted on a 2' high.  In the past we used flags, but with winds and different people putting them in, we didn't really like them.  The cones work really well.

The current ruling say approx 2' high. That is vague and allows for ground level to whatever.    Why can't it just be 2' high

5 minutes ago, hornetx40 said:

The current ruling say approx 2' high. That is vague and allows for ground level to whatever.    Why can't it just be 2' high

And does it have to be centered on the box at 10'? Or can it be off to the side? Thats vague too.

16 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

....your argument is that "ground level" is approximately two feet high?  Okay.

I don't need to respond to that.

Sarge wrote:

"And does it have to be centered on the box at 10'? Or can it be off to the side? Thats vague too. "

Considering the current listed rules say:
"In the Rimfire Match, there will be an aiming point (flag or sign) centered downrange directly in front of each shooters box approximately 10’ away and 2’ high. "

...I'm not sure what problem you are attempting to address.   Downrange.  Centered.  In front of each shooter's box.  10' away.  2' high.

It interests me that apparently some MD's just do what they want, and no shooters in those matches are attempting to fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

We had our match this past Saturday and ended up using a 2"x2" drove in the ground. Painted it bright orange and it measured 24" tall from grade. Hope this helps someone. 

Special thanks to Zack for providing a lot of support to make our match a success!

Jim

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Now if we could just get the RO's to make sure the shooter is aiming at them b4 the beep :D

Had a shooter last month I had to remind over and over and over and over that I wasn't going to push the button unless he was pointing at the flag. He kept try to start almost pointing at the first plate. I should have started giving procedurals but, it was a local match and I want to enforce the rules but, don't want to be known as the Range-Nazi either.

9 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

Had a shooter last month I had to remind over and over and over and over that I wasn't going to push the button unless he was pointing at the flag. He kept try to start almost pointing at the first plate. I should have started giving procedurals but, it was a local match and I want to enforce the rules but, don't want to be known as the Range-Nazi either.

Was he a ditzy newbie that needs to learn better, or an experienced gamer?  If it's the first, then you're the Range-Nazi.  If it's the latter, you're my hero.

Not a real experienced Steel Challenge shooter but he had been there before. I admit I don't know the guy personally (couldn't even tell you his name a hour after the match). He's in his 60s shooting a 10/22 with a dot. Definitely not what I'd call a gamer. Just out to have a little fun. If he had been I would have started hitting him with penalties until he did it right.