Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hiccup in cycle making powder jump - noob on xl650 (bought slightly used)

Hello there.  Noob here.  On the back/up stroke there's a little catch or hiccup that makes the powder hop and causing some powder loss.  Measures right oal, powder checks to within +/- .10 (not good-powder hop loss?), case and barrel gauges well it seems.  Any ideas?

Also, with case lube; used 2 sprays into a ziploc bag with all cases laying down (about 200).  Rolled em around.  Let em sit for bout 20 mins, then let em sit in case feeder for 20 more minutes.  Got powder sticking in cases pretty good.  

Working up a 9mm load with berry's plated 115 and 4.3 winchester 231 to an oal of 1.12 using cci spp in picked up range brass that's been tumbled.

Thanks all!

RelaodingResized.jpg

Had this same issue for a long while and tried every suggestion without any luck. Finally switched back to my Dillion resizing die an adjusted it all the way down as far as possible. It's amazing how critical a few thousands can eliminate such a big problem. It's been working as smooth as silk ever since. Hopefully this can help your problem. Good luck!

Is the powder spilling when the shell plate holder rotates? If so, it's a common problem with 650's and there are a lot of posts on that particular problem and the solution(s). Or is the powder spilling when the case is going up like in JD509's case?

A powder charge within =/- .1 grain is as good as your scale can weigh. Try tightening the shellplate bolt a tiny bit more. This reduces the jolt from the detent ball locating the shellplate.

Sounds like you may be wet tumbling your cases with pins and the powder funnel is sticking in the case.

Over cleaning cases can cause issues.

New cases can have the same issue if not dry tumbled a bit first in corn cob or walnut shell etc..

Edited by TDA

TDA us spot on.  A bit of case lube, every so often, is needed inside the case neck for lubrication is to prevent the powder funnel/mouth bell from sticking and causing exactly what Bulldawg is experiencing.

Man I haven't ever really noticed anything but I always thought the powder sticking to the case walls were from lube but I wet tumble my brass for like 3-4 hours with the primers removed.

So if I cut down the tumble time it could actually have some benefits?

My 147 load with N320 is single digit SD's so I thought I was doing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder may be sticking to the shells from static electricity.  If you smear some lube on the inside of a case and run it up into the powder drop, you should be able to tell immediately if that's the problem.  The downside to wet tumbling is it gets the insides so clean, they require lube for this part of the loading process.  Normally the carbon residue in fired cases is enough to prevent cases from sticking.

I think your talking about two things. One could be either static electricity or case lube making powder stick to your brass. The other is the steel "detint" ball under the shell plate. Please replace this with an equivalent size phenolic or ceramic ball and clip 1/2 coil from the spring. Also wet tumbling can make primers stick/ harder to insert, the flaring die stick etc. I ended up using nufinish and old school corn cob as a final tumble for my wet tumbled brass.